Flame me if you must

auburn4ever

But I have to get this off my chest.

Give the Auburn Tigers a lot of credit for coming back from a 17-0 beat-down in the first half to squeeze this one out. There was 6:54 to go in the first half before Auburn made it's first first-down of the game; it was beginning to look like a Clemson rout.

Coach Chizik readily admitted that Auburn went vanilla in it's first two games in preparation for Clemson. And this is what you produce in the first half? Auburn was a touchdown favorite going into this game, but for three quarters it appeared that Clemson owned the line of scrimmage. Auburn got it's act together at half to come out and score 21 unanswered points, but it should never have gotten in a position of being down 17-0. This game now has some questioning Gus Malzahn's schemes. I really like coach Malzahn, but when is he gonna open things up? Clemson is a good team but come on. 6:54 in the first half before we could get got our 1st first down.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though I feel better by letting it out, everything I said is true. When go up against a strong passing and running team and we're 17-0 at half, it will be ver very hard to come back the way we've been playing in the past 2 games.

Give the Auburn Tigers a lot of credit for coming back from a 17-0 beat-down in the first half to squeeze this one out. There was 6:54 to go in the first half before Auburn made it's first first-down of the game; it was beginning to look like a Clemson rout.

Coach Chizik readily admitted that Auburn went vanilla in it's first two games in preparation for Clemson. And this is what you produce in the first half? Auburn was a touchdown favorite going into this game, but for three quarters it appeared that Clemson owned the line of scrimmage. Auburn got it's act together at half to come out and score 21 unanswered points, but it should never have gotten in a position of being down 17-0. This game now has some questioning Gus Malzahn's schemes. I really like coach Malzahn, but when is he gonna open things up? Clemson is a good team but come on. 6:54 in the first half before we could get got our 1st first down.

Couldn't agree more. Like you said, give the guys credit for fighting back and getting a tough win. But we came out totally unprepared, and that all goes to back to coaching. Throw in the fact that we had 9 days to prepare, and it was an abysmal first half.

But football games are 60 min. long, not 30. Winning is all that matters. But there are def. some areas of concern going into next week.

Couldn't agree more. Like you said, give the guys credit for fighting back and getting a tough win. But we came out totally unprepared, and that all goes to back to coaching. Throw in the fact that we had 9 days to prepare, and it was an abysmal first half.

But football games are 60 min. long, not 30. Winning is all that matters. But there are def. some areas of concern going into next week.

You wanna know why it was so hard to prepare? Clemson played two cupcakes before they played us. They didn't have to show anything at all. We had no idea what to prepare for. We actually played a pretty decent team in MSU, so CU had something to prepare for. Also, like Mississippi State, they had us targeted since the preseason. I expect us to play much better in these next few weeks, because we will know a lot more about these opponents then we have known about the previous two. Also, most of these teams we are gonna play have not targeted us on their schedules.

You wanna know why it was so hard to prepare? Clemson played two cupcakes before they played us. They didn't have to show anything at all. We had no idea what to prepare for. We actually played a pretty decent team in MSU, so CU had something to prepare for. Also, like Mississippi State, they had us targeted since the preseason. I expect us to play much better in these next few weeks, because we will know a lot more about these opponents then we have known about the previous two. Also, most of these teams we are gonna play have not targeted us on their schedules.

Hope you're right man, but we've been saying this for a couple weeks now.

Also, Clemson not showing anything on offense the first two weeks has nothing to do with how bad our offense stunk up the joint in the first half.

I think it was an awesome win, and they will get it together against SC Saturday. Some of you guys are questioning the coaches?  The same coaches that have led the team to 3-0?  The same coaches that rallied the guys to score 24 unanswered and come out with the win in OT?  I'm sorry, but what has been so bad this year?  Yea, sometimes things get sketchy, but thats football.

For the life of me I cannot understand why we are playing so soft on defense. 

The entire year (not just the CU game), our DB's are 5-8 yds (and sometimes 10+ yds) off the receiver.  We haven't gave up a big play thus far but Arky St, MSU and CU have all dinked and donked us with short 8-10 yd pass plays and screen plays and managed to march down the field with little or no resistance.  I don't know the exact numbers but our D has given up a bunch of yards this year.  When we move up and jam the receivers at the line, we seem to take away most of these plays.  Playing soft like this also kills us when a RB turns the corner or breaks thru the line.  10, 15, 20 yd runs are common because we are so far down field, we are out of position.

Is it just me?  What gives????  Is CTR trying to avoid giving up the big play at all costs? 

I think it was an awesome win, and they will get it together against SC Saturday. Some of you guys are questioning the coaches?  The same coaches that have led the team to 3-0?  The same coaches that rallied the guys to score 24 unanswered and come out with the win in OT?  I'm sorry, but what has been so bad this year?  Yea, sometimes things get sketchy, but thats football.

We've been questioning them b/c if you look at it realistically, we are 1-2 right now. Had it not been for block handed receivers on MSU and Clemson's team, we would have lost both games. Our offense gets confused too easily and the secondary is awful.

We've been questioning them b/c if you look at it realistically, we are 1-2 right now. Had it not been for block handed receivers on MSU and Clemson's team, we would have lost both games. Our offense gets confused too easily and the secondary is awful.

9knrkp.jpg

Last time I checked, there is still a 3-0 record for Auburn.  I won't complain one bit. 

9knrkp.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WOW! You know, if you take away the biggest mistakes from MSU and CU, then you also have to take away some of our biggest mistakes to make it fair. Realistically, we are 3-0 and should have won by 10 in each game

Well, definately not 1-2.  If YOU look at realistically, we are 3-0.  No team is perfect, and  Wardamn, you keep bad mouthing the team and coaches for what?  Do you want them to be 1-2?  Oh, and heres the link with our record,  I think its accurate but let me know after you give it look.    http://espn.go.com/ncf/team/_/id/2/auburn-tigers

know exactly what our record is and sorry for pointing out the obvious truth...Auburn has gotten lucky the last 2 games

Its an obvious opinion, and its one that your entitled too, but I dont think its right. Sure, Miss. S.t and CU helped us beat them. You could say that about almost any team that loses a college football game. Auburn may not be playing great, but it still doesn't change the fact that Auburn made enough plays to win the games.

CU and Miss St. had dropped balls at the end of the games that helped us out, but thats football. If Cam had made a more accurate pass in just a few places then the CU game would have never went to overtime.

Winning a game because the other team cant make enough plays to beat you isnt always bad.

I wouldn't say coming back from a 17 point deficit is lucky.  Yea, there will be dropped passes in every game, but what about all the good plays that they make?   What was so lucky about last night besides the pass Parker threw in OT?

know exactly what our record is and sorry for pointing out the obvious truth...Auburn has gotten lucky the last 2 games

Its an obvious opinion, and its one that your entitled too, but I dont think its right. Sure, Miss. S.t and CU helped us beat them. You could say that about almost any team that loses a college football game. Auburn may not be playing great, but it still doesn't change the fact that Auburn made enough plays to win the games.

CU and Miss St. had dropped balls at the end of the games that helped us out, but thats football. If Cam had made a more accurate pass in just a few places then the CU game would have never went to overtime.

Winning a game because the other team cant make enough plays to beat you isnt always bad.

But relying on the other team to make bad plays is what they are talking about.  If these team execute like they should and we do exactly what we did.  We lose the last 2 games.  We are not a Top 20 team no matter what you want to read into the polls  we are over rated from how we play on the field.  But we have Potential to be a top 15 team this year and thats what we are riding on.

If the defense is set and then Malzahn makes the offensive call from the sideline, and then it looks like they have read his mind, what does that say? If he doesn't get imaginative as he has been at other times, we will lose some of these games against SEC opponents. We won! That is good. We are 3-0. We would like to see some improvements made  that will enable us to win more games. IF we keep going backwards and continue to play as we did in the first half, we will lose several games. I am not down on the team but I am concerned about our offensive scheme. I hope Coach Malzahn makes some improvements this week. He has good skill players and a lot of talent that has a great attitude. This team is full of fight and that is good. They need a little different play calling on offense in my opinion.

I understand the point you're trying to make...we need to play better because we always wont get the lucky break at the end of the game.  But like other posters have said, we did score 24 unanswered to get back not to mention the BS penalties that were very lucky for Clemson and kept drives alive (one drive in which they tied up the game I believe).  So yes, we've gotten lucky in some spots, but football is unpredictable and sometimes you'd rather be lucky than good.  Take a look at some of the games Bama played against inferior opponents last year.

We are a work in progress but I think there are way more positives to take from the first 3 weeks than negatives.  Most of the things that are bringing our team down can be easily fixed the next week.  This SC game will be a huge test for both teams, I just hope we come out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

We had tremendous effort on both sides of the ball. D Adams wanted the ball and went for it. He was our top O-Player. D made some great plays because of hustle and effort and made some bad plays because of hustle and effort where we took ourselves out of position. We showed tremendous amount of heart in coming back as did Clemson when we put up 24 straight points and thety didn;t give up. They had two great running backs and a QB with the heart of a Lion.

This was a good team we played and we found a way to win. If we play the same aginst USCe we will lose. If we are a little more consistent on O and we have the same effort and hustle from the D with a little more control the D will make big strides.

This week our D-backs will be tested as they have some really fine receivers. I think they can handle it.  The key will be if we can run the ball consistently. We showed some signs in the second half that we can. Hopefully Fannin will be healthy and can play H-back while Dyer is TB. I think Cam will find Fannin as he has confidence in Fannin as H-Back and that will open up everything. At H-back Fannin can be devastating as a downfield Blocker, Receiver and as a means to take away the double teams from D-Adams.  Think how good he would be when he is being covered one on one.

I agree with you skip, but thats the way it is sometimes.  Why can't you just be excited about the win?  Auburn doesn't rely on other teams to make mistakes, but MISTAKES HAPPEN, .  And we know that Auburn makes their fair share of mistakes, which helps out the other opposition.  Its just like any sport you will ever watch.  Wardamn said it best, "Winning a game because the other team cant make enough plays to beat you isnt always bad."

Archived