TE Brandon Fulse Visiting

AUSportTalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just confirmed that Fort Meade (Fl.) TE Brandon Fulse will be visiting Auburn this weekend for the Clemson game.

official or un?

i didnt see any officials on his rivals sheet

What is the difference between an unofficial and an official visit....other then one is paid for by the university?

Can an official go more places and attend certain activities that an unofficial cannot?

What is the difference between an unofficial and an official visit....other then one is paid for by the university?

Can an official go more places and attend certain activities that an unofficial cannot?

On an unofficial visit, the recruit pays for everything himself (gas, food, place to stay, etc.) I think this is a better sign of where he is going, because it shows they love the university enought to pay their way there. An official visit is just the opposite. The university pays for everything.

Just a bit of info guys...

There will be some "Official Visits" taken by some guys during the season, but the Coaches would rather wait for Officials, if possible, to be taken closer to NSD, during basketball season. The closer to NSD the better. You guys understand about how important a "most recent impression" can be.

It's hard for the Staff to spend a lot of time with recruits during game day visits, with all the preparation and focus that a game day demands.

If Officials are taken say in January the Coaches can spend all day with players and their families without the pressure of team performance staring them in the face.

On an unofficial visit, the recruit pays for everything himself (gas, food, place to stay, etc.) I think this is a better sign of where he is going, because it shows they love the university enought to pay their way there. An official visit is just the opposite. The university pays for everything.

Another thing to keep in mind is that A LOT of guys are starting to save their "official visits" for schools that are farther away from their homes. In Fulse's case, his home (Fort Meade, FL) is 8 hours away, so I take him making this visit an "unofficial" one as a VERY good sign for us!  :D

There will be some "Official Visits" taken by some guys during the season, but the Coaches would rather wait for Officials, if possible, to be taken closer to NSD, during basketball season. The closer to NSD the better. You guys understand about how important a "most recent impression" can be.

It's hard for the Staff to spend a lot of time with recruits during game day visits, with all the preparation and focus that a game day demands.

If Officials are taken say in January the Coaches can spend all day with players and their families without the pressure of team performance staring them in the face.

I agree, RB, but doesn't it seem that the calendar is pushed up now due to all the attention these kids are getting?  And, frankly, I don't like it.  I want 17 year olds to be, well, 17 year olds.

THIS^^ is VERY true! The one problem that comes with this is that more and more kids are graduating early, so that they can go ahead and get on campus and start working out with the team! But the reason that you gave is why I try and tell folks around here to just BE PATIENT when it comes to recruiting (HA! YEAH, RIGHT!  :rolleyes:)... b/c some of these kids aren't going to make up their minds (or change them if they're already committed elsewhere), until AFTER they take that "official" visit, and the staff puts the ole' "full court press" on them!  ;)

Pops,

It is true that the calendar has continually been pushed up on kids, but two things.

1. A wise parent or guardian would understand in all this that THEY and no one else are in the driver's seat. If they don't feel comfortable with something going on then simply stop it. NO is not a dirty or forbidden word! :)

2. A wise parent would also condition there child early on concerning expectations and demands that the sports world can put on them, and educate them as to the amount of scrutiny and spotlight they could potentially be under.

I think it would have been negligent of me to "just let Kiehl be a kid" and throw him into a situation such as SEC prime time foot all without any training on how to speak to the media, how to carry yourself in public, dealing with irrational fan expectations :) and staying calm in the face of pressure.

Typically great leaders are those who CAN handle themselves and perform in the face of pressure and adversity.

It may sound a little strange to some but I've been "conditioning" Kiehl and counseling him about the days that lie in front of him since he was 14 years old. I personally think it's ok to present to children the concept that the system of the world and you are measured in a significant way om how you perform. Wheyther at home, in business or in a stadium. As long as they are trained and lovingly, yet sternly nurtured without heavy-handed aggression they will typically respond in a positive manner.

Never underestimate the power of a positive accomplishment and what it can do for the esteem and confidence of a young person. It can set a course for them that can lead them on a successful path.

Ok...I know that was long...sorry!

Pops,

It is true that the calendar has continually been pushed up on kids, but two things.

1. A wise parent or guardian would understand in all this that THEY and no one else are in the driver's seat. If they don't feel comfortable with something going on then simply stop it. NO is not a dirty or forbidden word! :)

2. A wise parent would also condition there child early on concerning expectations and demands that the sports world can put on them, and educate them as to the amount of scrutiny and spotlight they could potentially be under.

I think it would have been negligent of me to "just let Kiehl be a kid" and throw him into a situation such as SEC prime time foot all without any training on how to speak to the media, how to carry yourself in public, dealing with irrational fan expectations :) and staying calm in the face of pressure.

Typically great leaders are those who CAN handle themselves and perform in the face of pressure and adversity.

It may sound a little strange to some but I've been "conditioning" Kiehl and counseling him about the days that lie in front of him since he was 14 years old. I personally think it's ok to present to children the concept that the system of the world and you are measured in a significant way om how you perform. Wheyther at home, in business or in a stadium. As long as they are trained and lovingly, yet sternly nurtured without heavy-handed aggression they will typically respond in a positive manner.

Never underestimate the power of a positive accomplishment and what it can do for the esteem and confidence of a young person. It can set a course for them that can lead them on a successful path.

Adopt me please

Pops,

I'm sorry to segue here, but it's interesting.  I've had two conversations about this in the last week - one with my wife (an elementary schoolteacher) and one with my boss.  There's a lot of talk these days about building up kids' self-esteem, particularly in elementary school, by showering them with praise.  The problem is even the kids don't buy it - if you are constantly inundating a child with compliments and praise for every little thing they do, the praise is going to cease to have any meaning.  The only way a person is going to truly gain confidence and self-esteem is through geniune accomplishment - through being tested and succeeding. 

And character is only developed through being tested and failing, but finding the courage to get back up and try again.

It's good to hear about recruiting from the perspective of a parent who is going through this process.  No doubt Kiehl is still receiving calls/texts/e-mails from other coaches trying to sway him from his commitment to Auburn.  How do you guys handle that?

That parts easy. Refer to #1 in my little diatribe above.

We simply say "Thanks for your interest, but Kiehl's committment is solid".

That parts easy. Refer to #1 in my little diatribe above.

We simply say "Thanks for your interest, but Kiehl's committment is solid".

:laugh: Nice! :thumbsup:

We are beginning to get a glimpse of the upside of having Robin and Kiehl on our team. It is great to have you 2 on our side. Our coaches are doing a great job of finding quality people like this to join us.

Archived