Concerned about the number of injuries

Scrambledog

I have felt all along that this is a team destined for greatness. About the only thing that could really derail us injuries, which is why I dread the pre-season. Lately, we seem to have had a lot of injuries that are really starting to affect the character and makeup of the team. Ladarius Phillips, whom the coaches have devoted a ton of time and attention to, is in a boot; Trovan Reed, who appeared to be a lock for Wildcat QB, punt returner, game changer, is on the sideline, Phillip Lutzencurchen (sp) has a hurt shoulder, we are thin at TE, Rozell Gayden has a hurt knee, Bonomolo is banged up to the point he is on the scout team. It looks like Green won the RT job by being the only one of the four competitors who is not hurt. Benton, poised for a breakout year is way behind because of a broken finger. Now, most of these injuries will heal during the season and will have no impact on Ark St, BUT, they will have an impact on the Miss. St game because these guys will NOT be at one hundred percent by then. We could be a bit thin at many positions. We are going to need Reed and Phillips to give us the two things we lacked on offense, a game breaker and a power back for short yardage. I do not expect to see Phillips at all and Reed will probably not be at full speed. I think the coaches are backing off the guys and trying to let them heal, but I am fearful we may have gone a little bit too long. Hopefully, we can heal to the point that these injuries will not be ones that stay nagging all season long.

None of the injuries are serious. Green won the job by working hard, not by default. Gayden is banged up but is 2nd team 9:56:13 PM still. Sullen and Moseley battled for the position. Benton has practiced the last two days. He will be fine. Reed wanted to go today in practice but Troop held him out but said he will play in the first game. Phillips should be good to go real soon. Just giving him extra time to heal. More precaution than serious injury. Freeman hasn't missed a beat. Bonomolo is battling injury as much as he is trying to learn a new system. He was late to arrive as well. Its gonna take him some time to get adjusted. Plus we are deep at the DE position with talent. He had a lot of hype more from fans than anything else. Overall its too early to start panicking over a few guys being banged up. This happens to every team during summer/fall practice. We didn't have a lot of this last year because the coaches didn't allow a great deal of hitting because of the depth situation. We couldn't afford to go live. This year we've had like four scrimmages in a week and a half span. This is gonna happen.

Way too early to panic. All teams have some injuries in preseason camp. None of our injuries seem to be serious and certainly none to the extent we have had in past seasons ..... (knock on wood). I really believe we are about as healthy as a team can be as this stage.      :wareagle:

no need for concern.  Every injury that has happened so far this summer has been pretty normal for a football team.  People are going to be nicked up and we are airing on the side of caution with most of them.  None of them are potential season ending injuries right now, just getting a little dinged up.

My thoughts are that the coaches are being MORE cautious about these (mostly minor) injuries because we have enough depth now to continue to practice with quality players on the field and let the dinged guys rest.

Per Jay Tate, Trooper expects Trovon to be there for the Ark. St. game.

- Ted Roof says the Bull is playing well.

- Benton was practicing today and is getting 'weaned' back into it

Sounds to me like Greene got the job because several coaches said 'the light came on' - not necessarily because other guys are injured.

I don't see anything catastrophic coming out of the practice notes.  And the coaches don't seem panicked.  

So I'm not.  Completely different feeling from this time last year.

Our injury situation is great, unlike opponents who have lost key players for the season already.

Hey Counsel -

I'd posted a question about this in the College Football section because I was curious about other teams' attrition over the summer.

Could you elaborate? - either here or there (if more appropriate)?

http://www.auburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=17740.0

Thx!

This is college football.  Don't be upset by the injuries (most of which are minor).  I don't know of a single FB player who has not played thru some type of discomfort.  Just the nature of the game.  JMO  :wareagle:

Everybody is beat up right now... they will cut back this weekend and the guys will get their legs back.

Thats why depth is so important... if a guy gets beat up, at least someone else can take some reps.

We wont need everybody for the first game anyway, may as well keep the questionable players on the side for 5 more days and get ready for MSU.

We've been very lucky with injuries in my opinion. Nothing has been season ending and none of the players that are beat up are pivotal IMO. I don't think anybody is relying on Phillip, he may play some and contribute but not to the extent where the team would be lost without him. Reed is suppose to be fine for Ark ST. and like others have said Freeman and Benton are practicing again. There are several that if they got hurt I would be major worried but as of now we have been extremely lucky. Lets all hope that it continues!!

Some minor injuries are inevitable when you 'go live' and play a lot of scrimmage games.  As long as we avoid any season ending injuries to key players we should be fine.

I think the coaches are backing off the guys and trying to let them heal, but I am fearful we may have gone a little bit too long. Hopefully, we can heal to the point that these injuries will not be ones that stay nagging all season long.

No serious injuries so far.  Our coaches know what they are doing and what the team needs to be ready, mainly hitting full-speed, especially tackling which was sporadic at best last season.  Last year we barely had enough depth for the team to scrimmage in preseason. 

I thought we have been fortunate this year on the injury front.  There have been no season ending injuries to any starters that I know of, unless I'm missing something.

sounds to me that if this is as severe as the injury report gets through two-a-days then you are ahead of the game.  if you aren't getting injuries, you aren't practicing hard.

this is football.  people will get injured.

sounds to me that if this is as severe as the injury report gets through two-a-days then you are ahead of the game.  if you aren't getting injuries, you aren't practicing hard.

Well said... I agree completely.

Agreed. Seems like a bit of a glass half empty approach. This is not even close to previous years like losing Savage, McNeil, and Nosa during the summer or in the fall, and the year before that losing Hawthorne last minute. Could be much much worse.

Heck last year at this time we didn't even really scrimmage much full speed. We could not risk the injuries. I think we're in much better shape this year. War Eagle. No wammies No wammies No wammies!!

This is college football.  Don't be upset by the injuries (most of which are minor).  I don't know of a single FB player who has not played thru some type of discomfort.  Just the nature of the game.  JMO  :wareagle:

At least this year we have some better depth than last year. Could be a lot worse.

My thoughts are that the coaches are being MORE cautious about these (mostly minor) injuries because we have enough depth now to continue to practice with quality players on the field and let the dinged guys rest.

Per Jay Tate, Trooper expects Trovon to be there for the Ark. St. game.

- Ted Roof says the Bull is playing well.

- Benton was practicing today and is getting 'weaned' back into it

Sounds to me like Greene got the job because several coaches said 'the light came on' - not necessarily because other guys are injured.

I don't see anything catastrophic coming out of the practice notes.  And the coaches don't seem panicked.  

So I'm not.  Completely different feeling from this time last year.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

Personally I'm actually relieved that we actually have enough depth this season that the coaches feel comfortable holding out key players for a few practices to let the heal rather than making them play through the injuries. 

Trovon Reed is good to go.

Benton is good to Go. Trooper Taylor said he went up and caught a pass over a DB and landed on the injured hand, and didnt even flinch.

Antonio Goodwin said he has a few bumps and bruises but feels confident about his ability in the offense, and said that Kodi Burns helps him get lined up.

I see no reason to panic?

They will be fine. No more worrying about injuries.

As far as Greene goes(not to be mistaken as Gringos), Gayden has been limited but is looking like the backup at left tackle behind Ziemba which is his natural position. I don't think Brandon Mosely has been hurt during fall camp to my knowledge. I think Greene just got motivated by two JC players coming in during the spring and was getting all the hype and playing time. Greene said enough and buckled down and got after it. Thats how I perceive the situation anyways.

Of couse all this knowledge I have in my brain comes from reading AE avery 5 minutes and I haven't got caught at work yet.  :dunno:

I fear Trovon Reed is going to end up like some other hyped players (their names evade me now) that never got passed injuries enough to shine.  It never seems to fail any more   :banghead:

Oh yeah Tristan Davis is one of them though he had a great game or two he never seemed to get going again after his injury.

I fear Trovon Reed is going to end up like some other hyped players (their names evade me now) that never got passed injuries enough to shine.  It never seems to fail any more   :banghead:

Oh yeah Tristan Davis is one of them though he had a great game or two he never seemed to get going again after his injury.

Man, don't even go there!  Let's be positive because you are talking about Percy Harvin without the migraines.

Archived