Recruiting Report Card?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that this staff taught me last year is that in a very short period of time, they can go from completely off of a kid's radar to signing him.

I wouldn't worry too much about WR or running back.

2 WR Richardson is a lock, don't forget how good of a recruit he was coming right out of high school. Sumler or Joe Morrow will be the other. I prefer Morrow 6'5" 200lbs and 4.55 are great  numbers for a WR and with that size blocking should not be a problem. However as it stands right now he is not high on us. Sumler's speed is an intangible. He will be a good WR but his size is a worry. I hope he plays like my favorite NFL reciever Steve Smith. Either way we will be set at reciever. 

2 WR Richardson is a lock, don't forget how good of a recruit he was coming right out of high school. Sumler or Joe Morrow will be the other. I prefer Morrow 6'5" 200lbs and 4.55 are great  numbers for a WR and with that size blocking should not be a problem. However as it stands right now he is not high on us. Sumler's speed is an intangible. He will be a good WR but his size is a worry. I hope he plays like my favorite NFL reciever Steve Smith. Either way we will be set at reciever. 

I beg to differ. We're in his top 4 and he's trying to visit in two weeks.

http://auburn.scout.com/2/981173.html

I beg to differ. We're in his top 4 and he's trying to visit in two weeks.

http://auburn.scout.com/2/981173.html

Joe Morrow:

"I want to visit there too and get another tattoo while I’m up there."

:laugh:

AMM, I'll defend my wide receivers grade.  First, I expect to lose more than one wide receiver before next years signing day.  Attrition will do a couple of guys in, like PPL and maybe Derek Winter.  I expect to sign 3 or 4 in 2011 with one being Richardson.  Second, in the Rivals 250 the only WR we have an even shot at is Sumler.  The only others that I have heard we are recruiting are committed elsewhere.  We're going to have to flip some guys to make the receiver class anything more than one with "lots of upside".

If elite guys were visiting, even if they were previously committed I'd feel better about WR, but I don't see them visiting. 

Pops, I agree that Ray Drew is one of those defining recruits.  Its too bad we are still fighting our way into his recruitment.  He's the kind of personality you could build a class round if you could lock him up early.  I can't help thinking he'll eventually return to his first love, FSU.

Good points. Im still not too concerned about it. WR was probably the position of least need this year considering the receivers we've gotten the last 2 years. After T-Zac and Kodi graduate next year and not including the two you said and whoever we sign this year, we'll still have Adams, Carr, Benton, Blake, Reed, Goodwin, Kitchens, and Spry. Id say we're in good shape if we sign 2 receivers this year

and stallworth  :thumbsup:

AMM, I'll defend my wide receivers grade.  First, I expect to lose more than one wide receiver before next years signing day.  Attrition will do a couple of guys in, like PPL and maybe Derek Winter.  I expect to sign 3 or 4 in 2011 with one being Richardson.  Second, in the Rivals 250 the only WR we have an even shot at is Sumler.  The only others that I have heard we are recruiting are committed elsewhere.  We're going to have to flip some guys to make the receiver class anything more than one with "lots of upside".

If elite guys were visiting, even if they were previously committed I'd feel better about WR, but I don't see them visiting. 

Pops, I agree that Ray Drew is one of those defining recruits.  Its too bad we are still fighting our way into his recruitment.  He's the kind of personality you could build a class round if you could lock him up early.  I can't help thinking he'll eventually return to his first love, FSU.

Good points. Im still not too concerned about it. WR was probably the position of least need this year considering the receivers we've gotten the last 2 years. After T-Zac and Kodi graduate next year and not including the two you said and whoever we sign this year, we'll still have Adams, Carr, Benton, Blake, Reed, Goodwin, Kitchens, and Spry. Id say we're in good shape if we sign 2 receivers this year

I knew I was forgetting someone! And he's one of my favorites too, dont know how I forgot him. Gracias GA

Right now I'd give it a C. Hopefully after all is said and done, we'll have another top 5 class with a A to A+ grade.

Right now I'd give it a C. Hopefully after all is said and done, we'll have another top 5 class with a A to A+ grade.

the ESPN rankings have us 10th right now. They have us listed with 7 recruits. Which we have 8.

You also have to remember that Kiehl Fraziers stock could rise if he has another 4,000 yard passing season.

A few of these guys could actually bump up to 4 stars like Holland and a 5th star like Coleman.

just saying... yall have heard me mention this many times before.... so ill say it again.

WE

GOT

A

LONG

WAYS

TO

GO.

I knew I was forgetting someone! And he's one of my favorites too, dont know how I forgot him. Gracias GA

Nah man, you know your stuff... its easy to lose a name like that when you mention so many... but this Stallworth kid, as we both know... has some serious skills and will be a big part of this offense in 2010.

IMO. T. Stallworth is going to blow up this year. He will be a somewhat surprising, to others, addition to the O explosion we're gonna see. Collective grading of the class is a little early when all the test haven't even been taken yet folks. On the calender we are closer to last Feb than the one upcoming. Put your horses back in the barn.

How should we feel if this class finishes 8-10th but fifth in the sec and third in the west.

I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between first and tenth anyway, so I would consider it a virtual tie between those teams.

How should we feel if this class finishes 8-10th but fifth in the sec and third in the west.

SEC classes finish like that all the time. Its competition at its finest. It should be that way, and theres a good chance it could happen.

I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between first and tenth anyway, so I would consider it a virtual tie between those teams.

Look at Florida finished top 3, Auburn 4, Bama 5.

hehe, I would have to agree with you my friend... SEC is a different animal.

I agree with all of you on Stallworth and he is gonna get back to 100% and have a great year. I hope that xCTT's PPL makes it back to - he is gonna try - but if can't at least he will get a medical. If PPL does not make it I see Sumler and a few others as great options.

^^THIS^^

When it comes to the teams in the top 15 in recruiting, all the recruits are elite, and it now just comes down to coaching them up. That's the difference between Alabama/Florida/Texas and Clemson/California/FSU

^^THIS^^

When it comes to the teams in the top 15 in recruiting, all the recruits are elite, and it now just comes down to coaching them up. That's the difference between Alabama/Florida/Texas and Clemson/California/FSU

Even in 2008, during Auburns horrifying season... still only lost to UGA by 4 points in a AWESOME contest.

The recruiting is that close.

Finishing 8-10 in the Nation is huge, it really doesn't matter how many SEC teams are ranked ahead of us IMO. I have always thought that there is very little difference in a #1 and a #10 class. Last year UF kind of kicked everyone's fanny, but that happens rarely.

Gentlemen, I'll be disagreeing with many of you I'm afraid on wideouts.  I don't see us taking less than 3.  And I definitely don't see the need for 7 d-linemen after 6 last year. 

But first, this class may be on pace to be better than last year's class.  Frost, Rose, Florence, Drew and Frazier all are legitimate shots at 5 star ratings.  

As for wide receiver, we will likely sign 3.  We are not likely to sign 7 defensive linemen.  We signed 6 last year, and we may sign 6 again this year if we take a JUCO or two.  

This is how I expect things to play out (all caps for current commitments):

QB 1 FRAZIER

RB 2 Dee Hart or Mike Blakely.  I expect we get one of the two.  And one other back, whether it is

Quan Bray, Rodney Coe, Andrew Buie or Ameer Abdullah.

TE 1 Brandon Fulse.  Malzahn found ways to get Trott involved in the offense last year and will so                        for Lutz this year as well.

WR 2 Jason Richardon, Kris Frost.  Frost is being recruited as a receiver, and I'm very happy

regardless of which side of the ball he plays. 

OL 5 O’REILLY, DISMUKES, Jamar Lewter, Greg Robinson, and one other.

DT 3 BLACKSON, NILES, Gabe Wright, and Jonathan Jenkins (JUCO)

DE 2 Ray Drew or Xzavier Dickson

LB 2 LANDRUM, SWAIN

S 3 LANIER, Erique Florence, and maybe Wayne Lyons

CB 2 Jonathon Rose, Chris Jones.  We will sign the best secondary class in the country.

I’m counting 23 so far.  I expect the class to be 25 or 26 players.  I expect one of the remaining 3 to be a wide receiver/scat back type player. And another to be a linebacker.  The last will probably be a linebacker or defensive back.  

Wildcards:

TACOI SUMLER.  I think we will sign one super quick receiver under 6’0 in this class, and I’d say Sumler is the top prospect for that at the moment.

AMEER ABDULLAH.  He may be signed as an RB, as a 3rd cornerback, or even as a slot receiver/HB, if we don’t get Sumler.  I expect we will find some way to get him in the class.

RODNEY COE.  I think we are more likely to sign him if he is willing to play linebacker.  Otherwise I think he will go elsewhere.

ERIQUEL FLORENCE.  I have heard he is a D1 talent.  "L" is not a lean safety like his brother, but instead a 240 lb mean linebacker who is trying to gain a few more pounds.

SHON COLEMAN.  I have no idea how we stand with him, but if he gets healthy, is able to play, and still wants to play for us, I expect us to take him in this class in one of the 5 O-line spots.

Overall I think we are in position for a top 8 or better class, depending on how many of our 3 and 4 stars get another star.  We’ll see how the prospects perform as seniors, because a lot can change.

Gentlemen, I'll be disagreeing with many of you I'm afraid on wideouts.  I don't see us taking less than 3.  And I definitely don't see the need for 7 d-linemen after 6 last year. 

But first, this class may be on pace to be better than last year's class.  Frost, Rose, Florence, Drew and Frazier all are legitimate shots at 5 star ratings.  

As for wide receiver, we will likely sign 3.  We are not likely to sign 7 defensive linemen.  We signed 6 last year, and we may sign 6 again this year if we take a JUCO or two.  

QB 1 FRAZIER

RB 2 Dee Hart or Mike Blakely.  I expect we get one of the two.  And one other back, whether it is

TE 1 Brandon Fulse.  Malzahn found ways to get Trott involved in the offense last year and will so                        for Lutz this year as well.

WR 2 Jason Richardon, Kris Frost.  Frost is being recruited as a receiver, and I'm very happy

LB 2 LANDRUM, SWAIN

CB 2 Jonathon Rose, Chris Jones.  We will sign the best secondary class in the country.

I’m counting 23 so far.  I expect the class to be 25 or 26 players.  I expect one of the remaining 3 to be a wide receiver/scat back type player. And another to be a linebacker.  The last will probably be a linebacker or defensive back.  

Wildcards:

TACOI SUMLER.  I think we will sign one super quick receiver under 6’0 in this class, and I’d say Sumler is the top prospect for that at the moment.

AMEER ABDULLAH.  He may be signed as an RB, as a 3rd cornerback, or even as a slot receiver/HB, if we don’t get Sumler.  I expect we will find some way to get him in the class.

RODNEY COE.  I think we are more likely to sign him if he is willing to play linebacker.  Otherwise I think he will go elsewhere.

ERIQUEL FLORENCE.  I have heard he is a D1 talent.  "L" is not a lean safety like his brother, but instead a 240 lb mean linebacker who is trying to gain a few more pounds.

SHON COLEMAN.  I have no idea how we stand with him, but if he gets healthy, is able to play, and still wants to play for us, I expect us to take him in this class in one of the 5 O-line spots.

Overall I think we are in position for a top 8 or better class, depending on how many of our 3 and 4 stars get another star.  We’ll see how the prospects perform as seniors, because a lot can change.

I'm going to disagree partially with you: I think we might sign 3, but that's the top limit, not the bottom one. The only way I see us taking 4 is if Frost signs as a receiver and one of the others is a hybrid guy.

FWIW, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not but Auburn is recruiting Mississippi State commit Jermaine Whitehead at wide receiver in spite of his being listed and recruited by MSU as a cornerback, and he has had some really good things to say about Trooper Taylor's ability to coach up receivers.

QB 1 FRAZIER

LB 2 LANDRUM, SWAIN

Wildcards:

I hope we take Jeremy Richardson and Joseph Morrow and call it a day. Said this in another thread... but we dont need to take 3 receivers in this class... if we do, its a "want" not a need.

Well, if you consider Frost a WR, then yes we'll probably be taking 3,  :). But otherwise, probably just 2. Doubt that Frost would get more than a cup of coffee at WR anyway. We are stacked at WR and only have one WR graduating.

You do realize you have us listed with 4 likely DT commits and only have 3 as probable commits? We have 2, and are likely to take one JUCO along with a Wright/McReynolds type.

We will be losing Blanc, Clayton, Carter, Goggans after this year, and we only have Fairley, Lykes, Travis along with 2 true freshman at DT for 2011. We have  Equae, Dee Ford returning at DE with the 4 true freshman we signed last year, assuming they all get in, which I think Delaine was a grades risk, though not certain on that. So that's 5 DT and 6 DE optimistically, with Travis and Lykes not really having done anything or impressed so far. We need DTs badly, I don't see any way we take less than 4 unless we just whiff on everyone. And there is no way we take less than 2 DE, we will at least replace the two we lose this year, and we aren't that much better off at DE than DT, so we could very well take 3. Realistically teams shoot for 3 deep at every position, and 4 DT and 3 DE would put us at a solid 3 deep on the DL, and that's with no attrition or grade problems.

I also don't see any way we take only 2 LB, we are only going to have 7 scholarship LB coming back in 2011, we'll need at least 3 to get our numbers back up.

We have 10 WR that would be returning in 2011, and that's not including Lutz who's basically a receiver in this offense. WR is just not an area of need in the slightest. Two WR commits would put us at 12 WR, which is way more than we need for an offense that doesn't really have more than 3 pure WR on the field at any given time.  WR is the one position we could realistically not get a single recruit and be more than fine for the next couple years.

Archived