Runningbacks/ Carries for the season

guerra aguila

That said, we need to temper our expectations, because even the best laid plans generally don't work out so well.

Yep... quarterbacks earn their stripes when all else around them is falling apart.

That said, we need to temper our expectations, because even the best laid plans generally don't work out so well.

Yep... quarterbacks earn their stripes when all else around them is falling apart.

I would love for this year to be an exception to that rule. As in I hope nothing falls apart on us, yet Cam still shows he has what it takes on top of the rest of our offense being impeccable.

Newtons running ability should save him a few times... he wont have to force the ball into coverage.

The steady running game, mixed in with all of the motion and option plays... I really like our chances to be special.

I will continue to remain  :cool: with the expectations lol.

Figuring an average of 80 plays per game over 13 games with 60% being rushing plays, that leaves about 624 carries.

With Malzhan attempting to run around 85 plays per game this should be safe.

I figure ten percent will be to the receivers. That leaves 561 for the running backs and quarterback.

Ben Tate got 263 carries last year, I expect Fannin will do the same on average.

I think McCalebb ha 105 carries last year, I look for that to go about 150 in 2010.

That leaves 148 for Dyer and Smith.

But what about Newton? I don't think Fannin will get as many carries as Tate did last year simply because we'll have

more options at halfback and a legitimate running QB.

Good point, I meant to have him included with the receivers.

Figuring an average of 80 plays per game over 13 games with 60% being rushing plays, that leaves about 624 carries.

I figure ten percent will be to the receivers. That leaves 561 for the running backs and quarterback.

Ben Tate got 263 carries last year, I expect Fannin will do the same on average.

I think McCalebb ha 105 carries last year, I look for that to go about 150 in 2010.

But what about Newton? I don't think Fannin will get as many carries as Tate did last year simply because we'll have

I expect Newton to get more than 10% of the carries by himself. The option read will come into play quite a bit this year (you saw it a little bit last year even with Chris Todd, whom I could outrun), and that alone will give him a number of carries. Then you've got to add in scrambles when nobody comes open on the passing routes...

I expect Newton to get more than 10% of the carries by himself. The option read will come into play quite a bit this year (you saw it a little bit last year even with Chris Todd, whom I could outrun), and that alone will give him a number of carries. Then you've got to add in scrambles when nobody comes open on the passing routes...

Just like our boy, J-Camp!

Just like our boy, J-Camp!

No doubt!

I do not want to see Cam be a "running" QB anymore than Tebow was a "running" QB.  The QB has to manage the offense on the field, has multiple issues to consider on each play.  That is not to say that an occasional QB draw, option, and scramble will not be part of the offense, but Cam Newton does not even need to be in the top three in carries.  Yes, he's the most gifted QB that I think I've ever seen, but he's got "happy" feet in the pocket, pulls it down and runs a lot(course he gains 20-30 yds. when he does!!), and has the most complex offense to manage .  Think about how different West Virginia became when their big QB was hobbled.  I think we'll start out with Mario as our feature back and O-mac getting his share of carries, but by mid-season , I think Michael Dyer will take over.  I can see him carrying the ball 25-30 times in the IB.  He's just too good for that not to happen!!!

I do not want to see Cam be a "running" QB anymore than Tebow was a "running" QB.  The QB has to manage the offense on the field, has multiple issues to consider on each play.  That is not to say that an occasional QB draw, option, and scramble will not be part of the offense, but Cam Newton does not even need to be in the top three in carries.  Yes, he's the most gifted QB that I think I've ever seen, but he's got "happy" feet in the pocket, pulls it down and runs a lot(course he gains 20-30 yds. when he does!!), and has the most complex offense to manage .  Think about how different West Virginia became when their big QB was hobbled.  I think we'll start out with Mario as our feature back and O-mac getting his share of carries, but by mid-season , I think Michael Dyer will take over.  I can see him carrying the ball 25-30 times in the IB.  He's just too good for that not to happen!!!

i don't think dyer will take over unless something happens to fannin (fumble-itis, injury, etc.).  but i do agree that dyer is too good not to get the ball in his hands.  i remember watching his HS game on tv and he just seemed to get stronger with every carry.  ended up with like 5 TD's and around 300 yards, the majority coming in 4th quarter.  he just kept pounding away and never seemed to get tired.  hopefully he'll be given the opportunity to adjust college speed defenses early in the season so that he's primed and ready to go for the meat of the schedule.  i really think he could have a breakout year as a freshman.  he's short and can find holes like nobody's business.  that will help so much with the malzahn misdirection plays.  regardless, i think our O is going to be fun to watch this year.  tons of leadership on the o-line and in the receiving corps...if the D improves a little more (which they are bound to do with added depth) then we could really surprise some people this year.  my biggest concern is will the team, and especially the freshmen, be able to keep the intensity through october

I am sorry but I failed to read most of the posts. But this leads me to something I wanted to discuses for a while. It looks more and more like we will be a two tailback team (Omac and S. Mario) for the first few games with Dyer playing late in most games. But the durability of our first two backs is still in question as far as I am concerned? Dyer by game 5 will the third back in the mix for sure!!!

I cannot wait to see this O. in action!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:we: :we: :we:

:believe: :believe: :believe:

It sorta depends on if Newton is a run 1st QB. ( Its been Fla's bread and butter for the last several yrs. and has been effective.)

He doesnt seem (IMO) to be the stand in the pocket and wate kind of guy. I think if he sees a first down or a 5-8 yrd gain he will tuck the ball and run it down their throat.

I would not be suprised if Newton is our leading rusher.

I expect this to be Fannin's make or break year with around 150 shots and 1000 + yrds. He is a lil short for the long ball but last time I saw the man he is ripped at 230lbs and will run you over on a screen. I wouldnt be suprised to see him under center at times. Dont forget Burns! he might have played football once or twice.

Add in O-Mac and This team could realy be nasty.

Malzahn has the tools. I just hope he puts it all together.

This year is lookin real good for us!

Newton is quoted saying that he is a drop back, pass first QB.

I am sorry but I failed to read most of the posts. But this leads me to something I wanted to discuses for a while. It looks more and more like we will be a two tailback team (Omac and S. Mario) for the first few games with Dyer playing late in most games. But the durability of our first two backs is still in question as far as I am concerned? Dyer by game 5 will the third back in the mix for sure!!!

O-Mac played right away and took a huge number of snaps to start the 2009 season. If Dyer knows the offense well enough, I actually see him playing right off the bat. With Malzahn hinting that O-Mac will be more of a 3rd down back, it sounds like the coaching staff already has Fannin and Dyer pegged as the 1-2 punch in 2010.

O-Mac played right away and took a huge number of snaps to start the 2009 season. If Dyer knows the offense well enough, I actually see him playing right off the bat. With Malzahn hinting that O-Mac will be more of a 3rd down back, it sounds like the coaching staff already has Fannin and Dyer pegged as the 1-2 punch in 2010.

Stat,"With Malzahn hinting that O-Mac will be more of a 3rd down back."

Where is this coming from because it is news to me?

Dyer is going to have special season... not before Mario Fannin does his damage. Newton will throw the ball all over the place... he has weapons around him... and hes a great talent.

Stat,"With Malzahn hinting that O-Mac will be more of a 3rd down back."

Where is this coming from because it is news to me?

OMAC, should be on the field in a 3rd and short... he provides that spark that Auburn needs. Dyer is going to be a stud, but OMAC may have a step on him.

If we fake the hand off to Fannin and run a quick bubble screen to McCalebb (while he is in the slot) or in a two back set......... the defense has to account for where he is on the field. McCalebb then becomes a Dexter McCluster type player and he can be a head-ache to bring down.

So far people think he is not elusive.... I disagree.

When it comes making people miss = my money is on OMAC. Even with his speed. I think he will surprise yall in 2010...

Archived