Tony Steward

bruheard

Red, of course I'm referring to Lake Martin;  it's just as much our lake as Hartwell is to Clemson.

Yeah, just making sure...it's about a half an hour away, but I made the drive from Auburn to my parents' place on Kowaliga (which is more like 45 minutes away) many times back when I was a student. I don't have a problem with Clemson, but that whole crap about Auburn being "Clemson without a lake" when Lattimore and Mack were considering Auburn pissed me off.

My mother lived on Lake Martin near Still Waters and drove to work at EAMC in Opelika for about 15 years.  the East side of Lake Martin is very convenient to Auburn; especially since Hwy. 280 is pretty much (if not completely) 4-lane all the way to Alex City. 

Red, of course I'm referring to Lake Martin;  it's just as much our lake as Hartwell is to Clemson.

Yeah, just making sure...it's about a half an hour away, but I made the drive from Auburn to my parents' place on Kowaliga (which is more like 45 minutes away) many times back when I was a student. I don't have a problem with Clemson, but that whole crap about Auburn being "Clemson without a lake" when Lattimore and Mack were considering Auburn pissed me off.

My mother lived on Lake Martin near Still Waters and drove to work at EAMC in Opelika for about 15 years.  the East side of Lake Martin is very convenient to Auburn; especially since Hwy. 280 is pretty much (if not completely) 4-lane all the way to Alex City.   

280 is four lanes all the way from Birmingham to Opelika. Making it a major highway was one of the major steps in bringing people to Auburn and making it as big a deal as it is back in the 50s and 60s. I remember reading an article that explained the way highly placed bammers tried to keep Auburn down...but then Auburn engineers took over the state highway department and built that road. Pretty interesting stuff.

Being an Auburn engineer myself, I'd like to be the bigger man here and give some credit to the Bama engineers as well.

Those sanitation engineers do a great job every Monday morning on my street, and I'm not sure what I would do without them.

Being an Auburn engineer myself, I'd like to be the bigger man here and give some credit to the Bama engineers as well.

Those sanitation engineers do a great job every Monday morning on my street, and I'm not sure what I would do without them.

Post of the day!!! :laugh: :laugh: :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When I went to Auburn, it was simply too far and inconvenient to go to Lake Martin. We would go to Chewacla.... :cool:

I don't know a thing about that lake at Clemson, but if it has plenty of public access, I could see that as a major draw to potential students (especially as hot as it's been lately).  :devil:

If the powers that be are listening...or reading, PLEASE add this to the AE quotes of fame!  Its well worth it!    :bow:

When I went to Auburn I commuted from the Dadeville the whole time. I live in Dadeville now and work from Alex City, all around the lake, to the Auburn area. If we go to the store for much, we drive to Auburn. I don't think it's too far. I've made it in 23 minutes and that was before we had a four lane connection.

My wife is from Memphis and you can't go too far there in 23 minutes.

I've been to Clemson and the campus area seemed pretty nice with some character like Auburn.

We almost had a "lake", ( but he went to Oregon instead!!).  SORRY. I COULDN'T RESIST!!

My hometown ^^^!!!  :thumbsup:

this should be in the hall of fame for quotes  :thumbsup:

Now appearing in the Quotes of Fame.

• 1 month later...

Engineering jokes and maybe farting jokes - It's been a rough, funny and interesting last two weeks.

When I went to Auburn, it was simply too far and inconvenient to go to Lake Martin. We would go to Chewacla.... :cool:

I don't know a thing about that lake at Clemson, but if it has plenty of public access, I could see that as a major draw to potential students (especially as hot as it's been lately).  :devil:

:dunno: :dunno:

I know I'm late to this party, but Clemson is awfully close to the water.  It's hard to miss. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=clemson+university&sll=34.674547,-82.834897&sspn=0.027458,0.055747&ie=UTF8&t=h&split=1&rq=1&ev=zi&radius=1.9&hq=clemson+university&hnear=&ll=34.676029,-82.838202&spn=0.027458,0.072098&z=15

The basketball arena is less than a thousand feet from the water.  Lake Martin would have to be in the CDV Ext parking lot to be closer than that. 

As a kid we used to say the pond in the middle of campus was a lake, as a joke.

Was just in Hartwell GA, Anderson SC and Easley SC on business.  Clemson is basically on the water w/ direct access.  Not the same at all.  I will say however that although their campus is nice, it really doesn't compare to AU.  My biggest issue is Opelika, people sometimes mistake parts of it for Auburn. 

Archived