Just received some HUGE recruiting news........

AUSportTalk

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ST, I have a question that you may or may not answer. Is this HUGE news about an individual we've already been discussing on this site or will it be shocker? You know, a one of those, "Wow! Didn't see that coming. Woo hoo!!!!" Thanks for your response in advance.

It's def a name that everyone knows. They have been on campus at least once between 2009-2010.

wait wait wait wait......THEY? plural?

ST, I have a question that you may or may not answer. Is this HUGE news about an individual we've already been discussing on this site or will it be shocker? You know, a one of those, "Wow! Didn't see that coming. Woo hoo!!!!" Thanks for your response in advance.

It's def a name that everyone knows. They have been on campus at least once between 2009-2010.

nice catch...

"a name that everybody knows" would indicate singular.

glass is half empty eh? 

They as in his family!  :cool:

glass is half empty eh? 

Not much glass guessing to do here. "Names" would be an overflowing glass but "name" is certainly a full but singular glass.

I have told you several times that he plans to be here for several years unless he was offered a coaching job at a big-time BCS school that was ready to win a National Title......

Um, if a school is ready to win a National Title, why would they be looking for a new coach? :cool:

I have told you several times that he plans to be here for several years unless he was offered a coaching job at a big-time BCS school that was ready to win a National Title......

Um, if a school is ready to win a National Title, why would they be looking for a new coach? :cool:

He means a national contender. ie. Georgia or LSU if they made coaching changes next year and offered Malzahn

Name, singular; they, plural:  Hmmm.  Two or more players, one name.  Answer, the Florence Brothers!!!!

Do some of you people realize the effect all this "Gus is leaving" stuff has on our offensive recruits?  For instance, if I was Frazier and I was reading this thread I would be demoralized and looking at other options.

:banghead:

Ding ding ding!!! Oh, not to mention that the head honcho here has already stated for the record that he personally spoke to CGM and got the word that Gus wants to stay here. This is how I see it:

This is not some flash in the pan gimmick offense that will simmer out quickly, so the notion of "striking while the iron is hot", as some have been quick to point out, doesn't apply. Malzahn is at the pinnacle of non-head coaches, and with the amount movement from team to team he's had in his short college coaching career, he's due some stability. He jumped at his opportunity to coach in the college ranks and even stayed close to where he'd been for the past decade or so as a high school coach.

Then, at Arkansas, he clashed with the head coach to the point that he was obviously miserable, and decided to go work with a friend of his at Tulsa. After two years of leading the country in total offense, he got an opportunity at a promotion back to the SEC and took it. Now he's in the perfect situation for him. He's working under a defensive guru of a head coach, so the offensive results will be unquestionably his (unlike Dan Meyer at Florida), and he's getting top notch players to play in his offense because of the combination of his pedigree and the reputation of the football program.

So the question is this: what does he stand to gain from taking a head coaching job at a mid-major? Nothing. Provided he stays for another year, his raise will put him at about the same level of those coaches (seems like Derek Dooley was making $750,000 at La Tech, which isn't too far from what a mere 10% raise would give Gus in 2011), and he'll already have things set up here the way he wants.

And in that last bit lies the crux of the matter. He doesn't want to have to completely rebuild a school's football program, but he does want to be head coach at a BCS school. It's probably a lesson he learned from Chizik's tenure at ISU: just starting out at a BCS school isn't enough, because it's quite the task to rebuild a dying program.

But what stable BCS program would hire a head coach who has five years of college coaching experience and no more than two at any one school? And how do you build your resume so that a school trusts you when you say you want to be there long term?

The answer to the first question is that there isn't one, and the answer to the second question, for him at least, is that he stays at the school where he's already building his offense and has success in the toughest defensive conference in America for a few years. In the mean time, he provides his family with stability in not moving every two years after having coached at two high schools close in proximity to each other from 1996 to 2005 (he spent exactly five years at both).

Look people, nothing in this life is guaranteed except for death and taxes, but assuming the worst is as surefire a way to guarantee that's what you'll get as there is. I'm not going to act as if I know the future, because I don't, but no one else does either, and there is a lot more going on here than the numbers can show. For the time being, I'm going to take ST's word that Gus wants to be here and that he has not put any kind of time table on leaving, or at least if he has then it's more than simply one more year. Why do we have to turn everything into paranoia that something is going to go wrong?

I've read some good posts on this site before, but Red, that was top-notch my brother. I hope everybody on here that is acting so doom and gloom about a coach who hasn't given any indication of leaving, will read this post. Well explained and well composed. Great job.  :bow:

I've read some good posts on this site before, but Red, that was top-notch my brother. I hope everybody on here that is acting so doom and gloom about a coach who hasn't given any indication of leaving, will read this post. Well explained and well composed. Great job.  :bow:

I think I'm going to copy it and put it in its own thread. I was thinking of doing that instead of using it as a response, but I do think it'll reach more people if it's not buried on the fifth page of a post about recruiting news.

I have also talked with Coach Malzahn and he told me the same thing that he told ST.  I have heard other people say that Malzahn has told them the same thing.  This should be a non-issue.

Why even question ST on something like this unless trying to deliberately put doubt in the minds of recruits?

Removed by Admin

why r u bringin that negative S*** in here? charlie strong had one of the best defenses in the country for a couple of years and he finaly got a good head coaching spot last year ..

Who else does this guy have offers from?

Now that I think about it, the timing of this lines up with when Brey Cook says he wants to make a decision.

He has offers from at least 3 other schools  :tease:

Who else does this guy have offers from?

Now that I think about it, the timing of this lines up with when Brey Cook says he wants to make a decision.

He has offers from at least 3 other schools  :tease:

Thats what I was also thinking. :thumbsup:

Archived