Mario Fannin

tigerjeffm

What does everyone think about Malzahn's announcement that Fannin will begin the spring working at tailback?  Although Im super excited about the M Dyer era, I for one am glad to hear that Fannin will get his shot as the starter.  I think he will be great.  Maybe even better than 44

I think this could be his year...if he can improve on the fumbling he could lead the second in yardage.

^^^^this...fumbles are the reason he isn't our impact player. But he will be!

What does everyone think about Malzahn's announcement that Fannin will begin the spring working at tailback?  Although Im super excited about the M Dyer era, I for one am glad to hear that Fannin will get his shot as the starter.  I think he will be great.  Maybe even better than 44

He worked at RB last year too. Coaching staff is just making sure they have all the bases covered in the event of an emergency.

I read in an earlier post that Mario has had problems with his shoulder.  This may be the underlying issue with his fumbling in the past.  Either way, he has the makings of a real beast at TB, if he can keep his grip on the ball.  I would accept shorter yardage per carry with little or no fumbles, than having a TB get 5-6 Yds/Attempt, but drops the ball a couple of times each game.

Mario has always been a favorite of mine on The Plains, and I genuinely hope he has a fantastic season in 2010 to setup a strong following from the scouts as he prepares for the NFL draft.  Super Mario deserves a bright future playing on Sundays and Mondays with his former teammates in AUBURN.

I read in an earlier post that Mario has had problems with his shoulder.  This may be the underlying issue with his fumbling in the past.  Either way, he has the makings of a real beast at TB, if he can keep his grip on the ball.  I would accept shorter yardage per carry with little or no fumbles, than having a TB get 5-6 Yds/Attempt, but drops the ball a couple of times each game.

Mario has always been a favorite of mine on The Plains, and I genuinely hope he has a fantastic season in 2010 to setup a strong following from the scouts as he prepares for the NFL draft.  Super Mario deserves a bright future playing on Sundays and Mondays with his former teammates in AUBURN.

Bingo... It's not about his talent level because the coaches believe he is a solid impact player. Their concern is a chronic shoulder issue. Last season they limited his touches because they wanted to keep him on the field the entire season. This is why he won't be the starter at RB unless it's an emergency.

Stat, do you know if Mario could have his shoulder problem(s) repaired with surgery?  I assume the coaching staff and team doctors would have taken that route already, if surgery would increase his shot at future success.

Fannin will carry us early in the season until Dyer and Aycock get adjusted... as the year goes on I expect their roles to increase.

McCalebb will be the x factor... he wont have to carry the ball as much as he did last year and should create several 1 play drives for us. Hopefully

I think Mario can be as good or better than Ben Tate as long as he can hang on to the ball.  I really hope the shoulder problem, if there is one, goes away by next season because with his speed and power I see him being a big play threat on every down!

Tubbs always had a solid eye for running backs and he said he thought Mario could be one of the best to come through Auburn. I really feel like he could have a big year this year. He has the full skill set it's just whether he can take the pounding and hold on to the football all year. Really hope he can put it all together!

Stat, do you know if Mario could have his shoulder problem(s) repaired with surgery?  I assume the coaching staff and team doctors would have taken that route already, if surgery would increase his shot at future success.

I asked Mark Murphy the same question and he stated there is no plan for surgery.

I really hope we find a way to get the ball in Super Mario's hands more often. It seems like every year that is going to be the focus. Hopefully this year we do it. He is a heckuva talent and I think he needs the ball in his hands a lot.

its as easy since he averaged 8.4 ypc than if he carried the ball 250 times like ben tate (who i adore) mario would have like 2100 yards or somethin like that

its as easy since he averaged 8.4 ypc than if he carried the ball 250 times like ben tate (who i adore) mario would have like 2100 yards or somethin like that

You're forgetting the rule of diminishing returns.  The more times a player gets the ball, the more the defense will key in on him and his avg. will drop.  The reason his average is so high is because several of his runs were BIG gains on reverses.  Surprises and unexpected twists stop working if you use them all the time.  Should he get the ball more?  Yeah, probably a lil bit.  But asking for him to get many more than 15 touches is pushing it.  He's best when not used as often.  And given his shoulder status, it's probably best that way.

I think you have to be realistic about his yards per carry. The majority of his carries came on speed sweeps, reverses and other exotic run plays. T-Zach averaged 23.8 yards per rush but he would not do that at the RB position. Fannin averaged 5.33 yards per carry in 2007 and 4.41 yards in 2008 from the RB position. There is no way he would average 8.4 yards per rush from the RB position at 250 carries.

I think you have to be realistic about his yards per carry. The majority of his carries came on speed sweeps, reverses and other exotic run plays. T-Zach averaged 23.8 yards per rush but he would not do that at the RB position. Fannin averaged 5.33 yards per carry in 2007 and 4.41 yards in 2008 from the RB position. There is no way he would average 8.4 yards per rush from the RB position at 250 carries.

Perhaps not, but didn't Brent Fullwood average about 8.3 one year?

Perhaps not, but didn't Brent Fullwood average about 8.3 one year?

Brent Fullwood was an All-American and probably the best runningback in the country in 1986.

Why not?? This is a Gus offense not a TT offense....you base your stats on TT offense the last 10 years.. like I say stats lie.  Different coach, different OC, better players  ... make better stats..  last year  proved that on Offense

Why not?? This is a Gus offense not a TT offense....you base your stats on TT offense the last 10 years.. like I say stats lie.  Different coach, different OC, better players  ... make better stats..  last year  proved that on Offense

Because THIS coaching staff knows what Fannin is capable of whether you or I want to believe it. Unless there are other injuries at the RB position, MARIO FANNIN will not be the starting RB when the season opens in 2010. His role in the offense will be expanded this season from his HB position and Malzahn intends to get him the ball 10-15 times. He got his numbers from his HB position, which exploited his size and speed in open space. Malzahn will continue to this with Fannin just as he did with Charles Clay at Tulsa. Yes, he has been cross trained to work at multiple positions and you will see him at RB but he won't be the starter.

Because THIS coaching staff knows what Fannin is capable of whether you or I want to believe it. Unless there are other injuries at the RB position, MARIO FANNIN will not be the starting RB when the season opens in 2010. His role in the offense will be expanded this season from his HB position and Malzahn intends to get him the ball 10-15 times. He got his numbers from his HB position, which exploited his size and speed in open space. Malzahn will continue to this with Fannin just as he did with Charles Clay at Tulsa. Yes, he has been cross trained to work at multiple positions and you will see him at RB but he won't be the starter.

we all know this..who will be the starting RB in your opinion stat? Then I will give you mine..

Archived