2013 3* LB Cameron Toney signs with AU!

RunInRed

Hope RF changes his mind, but let's not forget that we have this fine young man committed to us. Just for reference, Cam Toney is ranked considerably higher than Josh Bynes coming out of high school. Josh now has a NC ring and a Superbowl Championship ring. WDE

Not accurate that Toney is ranked higher than Bynes out of high school. Toney is a 3 star on scout and rivals while Bynes was a 4 star on scout and rivals (#9 inside linebacker in the nation on Rivals). Not that any of that matters. Bynes only had one other SEC offer, but was offered by teams in the Pac 10, Big 12, and Big East. Toney has 6 SEC offers.

Fair enough. I had not realized Rivals had him ranked that highly. If we're going to split hair, of course, the offer list is probably the most indicative difference.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article from al.com about C. Toney recruiting/adams/daniels

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/02/huntsvilles_cameron_toney_an_a.html

Quote from article

Toney, a 6-3, 225-pounder who made 107 tackles as a senior for Huntsville, has tried to play an active role in the recruiting process, and he's been in contact with 5-star defensive linemen Montravius Adams and Elijah Daniel since they took their official visits over the weekend.

Toney has touted his relationship with defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson, saying Auburn's new defensive guru has no problem playing a talented athlete early like South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney did under Johnson's tutelage.

And Toney wants to be part of defensive renaissance at Auburn, a school that has struggled on the defensive side of the ball for the better part of the past four years.

"We're looking at some big-time prospects like Montravius Adams that I've been talking to, and we're going to have a big turnaround on defense," Toney said. "Playing under him, I know he'll play the best player, whether you're a freshman or senior, anything."

Every time i see his size i'm impressed thinking about how import CT really will be to this team

Kinda sad he's been so over shadowed by a kid seeking attention.

Welcome to the Auburn Family Cameron and War Eagle!!! I wish you the very best of everything in the future!!!

The bus is flying downhill now. Sweet, sweet, sweet.

Love this guy: He stuck through Auburn thick and thin.

Cameron Toney had his convictions. He knew why he was all in on Auburn.Not because of Gene Chizik. Not because of Brian VanGorder or a particular defensive scheme.Because it's Auburn."Before I committed," said Toney, who did so in April 2012, "I always told myself, pick a school that you'll fall in love with, not just for football. Auburn's all about family, the student section, the atmosphere, and also the education, most importantly. I didn't commit because of acoach or coaching staff."

Read more here:

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/02/05/2372184/cameron-toney-chose-auburn-because.html#storylink=cpy

Never understand a recruit who signs just for a coach.

This kid is going to do great things for Auburn by the time his career is over on the Plains.

I think he had the best quote of the day, by far:

"I always said, once I commit, I'm going to stay with my commitment and be loyal to my team," Toney (6-2, 230) said. "I'm a true man and I hope we've got some true men that committed and signed today like I am. Because what's going to turn this Auburn program around is character."

glad to have this young man.

an observation ...

i dont know much about the OL that signed with bama other than i think he was pretty good. you notice the bama table on the left side of the previous pic. if i recall, he committed to them fairly early and stayed that way. if the huntsville high coaches have anything to do with encouraging these young men to make a decision that is right for them, for the right reasons and then sticking with it ... then i applaud that high school for doing things the right way. (if i am wrong, then everyone can pass right on over this post ...)

Though I'm thrilled we signed Cameron Toney and Kenny Flowers, I was very surprised we only signed 2 linebackers. Since we're not real big at that spot, I thought we'd sign more than those 2 big guys.

glad to have this young man.

an observation ...

i dont know much about the OL that signed with bama other than i think he was pretty good. you notice the bama table on the left side of the previous pic. if i recall, he committed to them fairly early and stayed that way. if the huntsville high coaches have anything to do with encouraging these young men to make a decision that is right for them, for the right reasons and then sticking with it ... then i applaud that high school for doing things the right way. (if i am wrong, then everyone can pass right on over this post ...)

I played for Coach Sharp, and have had non football conversations with a few of the coaches. They truly are focused on the players. Coach Sharp played at Ga Tech and some of the others played for Alabama A&M and smaller schools. They aren't the type to try and dictate where the student goes, they just want them to go somewhere. They take as much pride as the student does in getting that scholarship. I think that's why they decorated like they did. It wasn't about hat games, they both sent in NLIs earlier in the day, it was about recognizing the kids hard work and doing something special for them personally.

I do think it helps that Coach Sharp graduated from Lee (Huntsville), played at an out of state school, and also played for the local arena team we had a few years ago. It gives him credibility as a player, and shows that his allegiance is to Huntsville the city and school, and not to a particular college program.

Huntsville High loves its football, but it's not what runs the school like many places. The players don't get things handed to them (See Azaria Green from last year, talented running back but didn't have the grades) so if you're getting a player from there you know, regardless of how "smart" they are, that they know how to work hard for and earn their grades.

Though I'm thrilled we signed Cameron Toney and Kenny Flowers, I was very surprised we only signed 2 linebackers. Since we're not real big at that spot, I thought we'd sign more than those 2 big guys.

I thought about that too, but I also wonder if we may move some DEs to LB permanently or situationally. Ellis has said he wants to have multiple sets and it wouldn't surprise me to see them sub in a DE for a CB and then have a lineman move to linebacker and linebacker move to CB, or Spur, to counteract the anticipated play.

Archived