2013 3* LB Cameron Toney signs with AU!

RunInRed

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

glad to have this young man.

an observation ...

i dont know much about the OL that signed with bama other than i think he was pretty good. you notice the bama table on the left side of the previous pic. if i recall, he committed to them fairly early and stayed that way. if the huntsville high coaches have anything to do with encouraging these young men to make a decision that is right for them, for the right reasons and then sticking with it ... then i applaud that high school for doing things the right way. (if i am wrong, then everyone can pass right on over this post ...)

I played for Coach Sharp, and have had non football conversations with a few of the coaches. They truly are focused on the players. Coach Sharp played at Ga Tech and some of the others played for Alabama A&M and smaller schools. They aren't the type to try and dictate where the student goes, they just want them to go somewhere. They take as much pride as the student does in getting that scholarship. I think that's why they decorated like they did. It wasn't about hat games, they both sent in NLIs earlier in the day, it was about recognizing the kids hard work and doing something special for them personally.

I do think it helps that Coach Sharp graduated from Lee (Huntsville), played at an out of state school, and also played for the local arena team we had a few years ago. It gives him credibility as a player, and shows that his allegiance is to Huntsville the city and school, and not to a particular college program.

Huntsville High loves its football, but it's not what runs the school like many places. The players don't get things handed to them (See Azaria Green from last year, talented running back but didn't have the grades) so if you're getting a player from there you know, regardless of how "smart" they are, that they know how to work hard for and earn their grades.

HHS coaches really support the student-athlete mantra. I played football and baseball there during weisman's final seasons and made it to the state semi's my senior year. He asked me to tutor some of my teammates to help get their grades up so he didnt have to bench them. They do it the right way and will truly support you no matter what. Their only agenda is to get the best out of us, and the best for us.

Though I'm thrilled we signed Cameron Toney and Kenny Flowers, I was very surprised we only signed 2 linebackers. Since we're not real big at that spot, I thought we'd sign more than those 2 big guys.

I think we signed a JUCO LB that started school in January.

I really do love this kid and am looking forward to his bright future. I've messaged him back and forth a few times, I'm hoping to get by the school to see him at some point before the year ends. I remember seeing him last year after he committed and in a crowded hall full of kids he saw me at the other end and gave me a big "Hey, War Eagle!!!).

Normally I 100% despise the "like this post", "please retreat", and "follow me" posts because I feel it's all about the person wanting individual attention. This is one case that I will actually encourage it because I know the person is doing it for the right reasons. He wants people to see his love for Auburn, his attitude, and his leadership. He's excited about being a Tiger and wants the world to know that he's going to put in the hard work to help change things on and off the field.

Cameron Toney @CToney47

Back to work. My career just now starting. Gotta ball.

Cameron Toney @CToney47

Follow Friday. Help me out by RT and shout me out to get more followers. Goal is to get to 5k. Auburn Family. #WDE

Archived