Kiehl Frazier

SCBusPilot

mash me

The state of Alabama is no stranger to the Heisman Trophy race in recent years, and one analyst of the annual award celebrating college football's top player has two players from the state, one from Alabama and one from Auburn, listed among his potential darkhorse candidates for 2012.

Writer and Heisman voter Chris Huston of HeismanPundit.com, recognized by Sports Illustrated as an authority on the award, spends each college football season conducting weekly straw polls of Heisman voters to gauge each player's odds at winning the Heisman.

In a list released this week of Huston's top darkhorse candidates, Alabama running back Eddie Lacy and Auburn quarterback Kiehl Frazier were each listed as players Huston expects to see dramatic increases in production in 2012.

In the post, Huston points out that with Trent Richardson gone, Lacy's experience and proven production put him in a strong position to get the lion's share of Richardson's carries.

"He's not the talent that Richardson is, but if he carries as much as Richardson did last year, he'll be a Heisman candidate in the Tide's run-heavy offense," said Huston.

While Frazier is still in the midst of an intense position battle to win the starting quarterback job at Auburn, Huston writes that the sophomore appears to have more athletic potential than his teammate and fellow quarterback Clint Moseley.

"If, indeed, Frazier is handed the keys to the Auburn offense -- and is used correctly -- he'll develop into one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC by the end of the year," Huston said. "For a guy who threw for just 34 yards and rushed for 327 last year, this may seem like a stretch. But he's got the talent to do it. I expect a dominant year from Frazier and he'll likely produce a 2,000/1,000 type of season."

Assuming he gets the starting job, and the OC keeps some zone-read QB options, I still don't think the new offensive scheme will have him rushing enough for 1000 yards. If he finished with 500 yards I think that'd be a great year for him and Auburn's offense.

Assuming he gets the starting job, and the OC keeps some zone-read QB options, I still don't think the new offensive scheme will have him rushing enough for 1000 yards. If he finished with 500 yards I think that'd be a great year for him and Auburn's offense.

I agree with you. 1000 yard out of a QB is not the norm. 500-600 rushing yards from a QB is very good.

Let's not forget four of the guys on Cam's offensive line in 2010 had more career starts (each) than Kiehl's (or Clint's) entire offensive line combined. Not to mention that those guys (in 2010) were all seniors, whereas it's basically a lock that four of the five starters in 2012 will be freshmen or sophomores. Hope CJG does as well coaching those guys as he did recruiting them!

Tebow never ran for 1,000 yards in a season. There are very few offensive systems that need or even want that kind of production from the QB. I don't expect Keihl (even if he's the starter from opening kick) to come all that close. 500-700 yards would be very productive and right in the range I expect (assuming he's the QB... if it's Clint drop that number to 100-200 yards).

Tebow never ran for 1,000 yards in a season. There are very few offensive systems that need or even want that kind of production from the QB. I don't expect Keihl (even if he's the starter from opening kick) to come all that close. 500-700 yards would be very productive and right in the range I expect (assuming he's the QB... if it's Clint drop that number to -100 - -200 yards).

Fixed that for you. 2011 Clint Moseley: 25 rushes for -81 yards

I could see him around 100 yards. I'm hoping the sacks are dramatically reduced this year.

Out of curiosity how many rushes for positive yards did Moseley have, with him lined up as the conventional QB, for this past season?

Archived