Which Qb is a better fit for Coach Loeffler's offense?

EagleReedle

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you start as of today?

• Kiehl Frazier
    • Clint Moseley
    • Wirth Campbell
    • Zeke Pike
    • Other

He threw two(his only two) interceptions in one game. Arky maybe?

If I went through the stats correctly then he was 2/4 with two int against Arky and 18 yards. 2/4 for 16 yards against LSU. 0/2 against Alabama. 1/1 for 0 yards against UF. That covers all his SEC pass attempts.

Thought he was picked against LSU also but I was wrong. Still not impressive against the tougher competition though. Hoping he lights it up this spring and fall.

Mikey, what's the basis for rejecting the Kodi Burns comp to this point? I'm honestly wondering. Look at the blind stats.

Freshman QB A

5/10, 40 yards, 0 TD/0 INT

16 carries, 103 yards, 3 TDs

Freshman QB B

10/26, 145 yards, 2 TD/1 INT

54 carries, 203 yards, 3 TDs

Freshman QB C

5/12, 34 yards, 0 TD/2 INT

76 carries, 327 yards, 3 TDs

On one hand, you can easily compare QB A's passing stats to QB C's, but none of these guys really had enough attempts to make fair comparisons. If anything, 10/26 is almost identical to 5/12 from a completion percentage point of view. Again, it's just kind of a silly exercise. But as runners, you can get a little more information. All three guys found the endzone three times, but QB A did it in far fewer touches. I'd say that guy has the best nose for the endzone. QB B and QB C both had a decent number of attempts with similar results (3.8 ypc versus 4.3 ypc). I think this is the least suspenseful blind comparison, but B is Kodi and C is Keihl.

These are such small sample sizes that it's a bit silly, but I don't see anything in the numbers that makes me say Keihl, at this point, looks more like Cam than Kodi. Kodi and Keihl found the field more than Cam. Both showed less penchant for big plays (Cam averaged 6+ ypc). None of these guys was particularly accurate (although again Cam was more accurate with fewer attempts). I have no idea what Keihl is or will be, but he very well could be the next Kodi Burns. From the numbers, that seems equally possible, and from experience, it is far more likely that we'll see the next athletic QB that didn't pan out at the position over and over and over again before we see the next once-in-a-generation QB that changes the game.

Mikey, what's the basis for rejecting the Kodi Burns comp to this point? I'm honestly wondering. Look at the blind stats.

The basis is my gut feeling when Kodi was a frosh and got the ball was "oh crap". When Frazier got the ball it was "oh boy!"

The basis is my gut feeling when Kodi was a frosh and got the ball was "oh crap". When Frazier got the ball it was "oh boy!"

Really? So Frazier playing what was more or less a glorified FB role made you go "oh boy!"? He did nothing throwing the ball last season; in fact, he looked about the same as Burns did. Dont forget that Burns as a freshman also didn't have the benefit of playing in a spread-styled offense that allowed for easy implementation of QB run plays; he was playing in Borges' West Coast offense that in absolutely no way preaches using the QB as an extra runner.

Really? So Frazier playing what was more or less a glorified FB role made you go "oh boy!"? He did nothing throwing the ball last season; in fact, he looked about the same as Burns did. Dont forget that Burns as a freshman also didn't have the benefit of playing in a spread-styled offense that allowed for easy implementation of QB run plays; he was playing in Borges' West Coast offense that in absolutely no way preaches using the QB as an extra runner.

Burns also had the benefit of a year's redshirting, after which he showed nothing. Frazier didn't redshirt. So you're telling me you were happy with Burn's performance as a freshman but were unhappy with Frazier? OK..... :blink:

Burns also had the benefit of a year's redshirting

No he didn't. Burns was forced into action as a true freshman in an attempt to add another dimension to the offense with Cox struggling. He was a true freshman in 2007 and a senior in 2010.

So you're telling me you were happy with Burn's performance as a freshman but were unhappy with Frazier? OK..... :blink:

Not what I was saying at all. They both looked like guys who were nowhere near ready to throw the ball; which is what being a QB is about. Frazier is bigger and has better tools overall with regards to the position...but the point is that a comparison to Burns at this point is far more accurate than a comparison to Newton. Newton's progression path is not common at all; I would never compare Frazier to Newton.

Yeah, I think everyone was pretty fired up by Kodi as a true freshman (never redshirted). Remember, the Peach Bowl walk-off was the final whistle of his freshman season. Then 2008 happened, and the wheels fell off the wagon.

I have no idea what Keihl Frazier will or will not be, but his first season was VERY comparable to Kodi's first season.

I thought Kodi redshirted, my mistake. Be that as it may, Frazier has a chance to be a big success as Auburn's QB, something Kodi did not accomplish at Auburn or Jordan Jefferson did not accomplish at LSU. That's why Frazier is better compared to Cam than the others who did not become a successful QB. We'll know in three years.

You have to appreciate the time Loeffler is spending working with the quarterbacks in terms of footwork, elbow placement, while carrying out their play-action. No doubt he will work on their passing mechanics as well, which should be great for the 3 QB's competing this spring. Based on what Loeffler ran at Temple, I would say Frazier fits the mode needed at quarterback. Unless he is injured, I believe Frazier will be the starter in 2012.

Cameron Newton was the "Bo Jackson" of the quarterback position. I don't believe Frazier will be that caliber of a player but Auburn certainly could win a lot of games if Frazier is the "Carnell Williams" of the quarterback position.

Archived