I was selected!

PigskinPat

I was notified that I was one of the names drawn for a Toomer's oak baby! The little fella is shipping on November 30th. I had to share the joy with my Auburn brothers and sisters! War Eagle!!

Good for you. I hope you live in an area where it has a good chance of survival (they usually don't live as far north as Auburn).

I was concerned as well (we live just south of Huntsville). They assured me it would survive in our area. The plan is to keep it in a large pot so we can bring it indoors for the winter the first few years and then plant it.

I got also! I like your idea of waiting to plant it, I think I will do the same. War Eagle!!!

Well congratulations to you as well! I thought having it in the pot for the first couple of years would really give me a chance to baby it until it got a little bigger and hardier! I hope we have some Toomer's babies we can one day be proud of! (and roll!!) :big:

I got also! I like your idea of waiting to plant it, I think I will do the same. War Eagle!!!

Well congratulations to you as well! I thought having it in the pot for the first couple of years would really give me a chance to baby it until it got a little bigger and hardier! I hope we have some Toomer's babies we can one day be proud of! (and roll!!) :big:

Yes, I was wondering how many years it will take to get a little seedling from it. Do you plan on just using regular potting soil?

Yes, I was wondering how many years it will take to get a little seedling from it. Do you plan on just using regular potting soil?

I'm not sure what kind of soil I'm going to use yet. I hope they have some great instructions that come with it! I thought about asking a good friend of mine who graduated in landscape horticulture what I need to do. Have you thought what kind you might use?

I got one as well. I opted to go ahead and get mine in the ground. What I did was take some of the native soil and mix it with some scotts starter soil for trees and shrubs. I dug the hole about three or four feet in diameter and went through two or three bags of the soil to mix it up. I also put a huge bed of pine straw on top of the root area to keep it insulated. They've been in the ground for two weeks and have held up through a good thunderstorm and are looking good.

If you're planting them in a pot, I would think either the potting soil or the starter soil would work fine. When you put them in the ground, you'll move the entire contents of what's in the pot to do the transplant.

Good luck and congratulations!

I got one as well. I opted to go ahead and get mine in the ground. What I did was take some of the native soil and mix it with some scotts starter soil for trees and shrubs. I dug the hole about three or four feet in diameter and went through two or three bags of the soil to mix it up. I also put a huge bed of pine straw on top of the root area to keep it insulated. They've been in the ground for two weeks and have held up through a good thunderstorm and are looking good.

If you're planting them in a pot, I would think either the potting soil or the starter soil would work fine. When you put them in the ground, you'll move the entire contents of what's in the pot to do the transplant.

Good luck and congratulations!

Great advice. I am in Memphis so I thought keeping it indoors might be the best for a year or so. War Eagle and let's beat bama today!!!

Archived