Columbia Mo

WarEagle123

Since it looks like Mizzou is going to be the newest member of the SEC I need to know if I am the only Auburn fan in Columbia that posts on this board. The AU fans here need to get together and show this town what sec football is all about

War Eagle

4886525.jpg

I worked for the UM system as a consultant for 2 1/2 years, spending 6 months in Columbia. This was the fall that they, at one point in the season, were ranked #1 in the BCS, prior to them losing to OU in the Big-XII championship.

I was not impressed with the town (as a college football sports town that is, it's a very fun college town). I walked every day past dorms to get to work, and not one day did I see a Tiger flag flying in the dorm room window. I can think of only one business marquee in town that had any sort of support for the team, and can't recall many cars with MU flags flying on them. Outside of bookstores, I don't really remember any businesses that had painted windows, either. And all of this when they were ranked #1 in the country.

Sharp contrast from what I experienced as an undergrad at Auburn.

Actually Columbia, Missouri where the school is located is in what is called "Little Dixie" Missouri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Dixie_%28Missouri%29

That said, they probably have bunches of Yankees from St Louis, etc.. The Atlanta situation, use to be in the South.

I spent 3 years in Columbia and I would say it isn't quite as bad as what AUJarhead saw but it ain't Auburn. But then the OP knows that. I remember my 1st day driving through town and seeing the stadium. I thought it was a pretty big high school stadium initially then realized it was a cute little college stadium.

I'm not there now but I would probably go back for the 1st AU game there.

Jon

I have visited Columbia, MO twice. I thought it was a nice college town. Fairly friendly people. They didn't seem to have that much school spirit though. IMO they don't really fit in well with SEC culture. They aren't bad, just a more reserved mid-western vibe than most SEC schools.

I see them as a mid-west version of Miss State. They will get excited every few years when their team makes some noise, but are overall going to have a pretty low profile.

BTW, I have also visited Morgantown, WV, and Columbia is way better than them, so if those were our two choices we made the right call.

BTW, I have also visited Morgantown, WV, and Columbia is way better than them, so if those were our two choices we made the right call.

In my mind, this is what Missouri brings to the table that makes them a desirable choice - they aren't West Virginia.

Well, I did a little looking around and it turns out the story is coming from the New York Times, so, I think I'll hold off until there's more credible information to support it. The New York times isn't exactly a stellar source of information.

In my mind, this is what Missouri brings to the table that makes them a desirable choice - they aren't West Virginia.

Yeah, that trip to Morgantown was by far the worst experience I have ever had as a visitor at any school. WVU fans are horrible, their campus is ugly, their academics are poor, and they are from a small, poor state. I did not want them anywhere near the SEC.

Missouri isn't a great cultural fit, but they expand the SEC footprint into a decent new market and their academics are decent. In short, they are not the embarassment to the SEC that WVU would be.

I still wish we would just poach an ACC team like FSU, NC State, Clemson or Virginia Tech. They would fit in better and would solve the east/west problem.

I don't live in Comlumbia, but I do travel there about twice a year. I live just over 3 hours from there and am surrounded by Mizzou fans in my home town. They are very passionate and all want to join the SEC, although they think the school is making a big mistake and just going after the money. The fans here don't like the fact that Mizzou will go from competing towards the top of the Big 12 in all sports to being towards the bottom in the SEC.

I don't live in Comlumbia, but I do travel there about twice a year. I live just over 3 hours from there and am surrounded by Mizzou fans in my home town. They are very passionate and all want to join the SEC, although they think the school is making a big mistake and just going after the money. The fans here don't like the fact that Mizzou will go from competing towards the top of the Big 12 in all sports to being towards the bottom in the SEC.

Interesting to get some info from somebody who is familiar Missouri fans. I'm a bit confused by your post though...do they want to join the SEC or do they not want to b/c they are worried about not being able to compete? Or is it just that they are conflicted?

I live in St Louis, MO, and no one I know is a Mizzou fan. St Louis is, and will always be, a baseball town. Maybe that changes when they start playing Alabama or LSU every other year in Columbia, but I don't see it.

Basketball is a different story. The games at Mizzou that I've been to for basketball, during the Quinn Snyder years, were a lot of fun. Packed arena.

I think the comparison to Mississippi State are correct, except there is far more to do in Columbia than Starkville. They will be middle of the road in Football, near the top of the west in basketball, and decent in baseball.

I live in St Louis, MO, and no one I know is a Mizzou fan. St Louis is, and will always be, a baseball town. Maybe that changes when they start playing Alabama or LSU every other year in Columbia, but I don't see it.

Basketball is a different story. The games at Mizzou that I've been to for basketball, during the Quinn Snyder years, were a lot of fun. Packed arena.

I think the comparison to Mississippi State are correct, except there is far more to do in Columbia than Starkville. They will be middle of the road in Football, near the top of the west in basketball, and decent in baseball.

Maybe Anheiser Busch or someone should host a kickoff classic game in the Edward Jones dome or once they choose who Missouri's cross division rival will be, they could play a "Neutral Site" game there. Could get the city more excited about the game...

I also would love to see a game in arrowhead (is that inside Missouri's border?) And get some of that Kansas City BBQ!

Maybe Anheiser Busch or someone should host a kickoff classic game in the Edward Jones dome or once they choose who Missouri's cross division rival will be, they could play a "Neutral Site" game there. Could get the city more excited about the game...

I also would love to see a game in arrowhead (is that inside Missouri's border?) And get some of that Kansas City BBQ!

For the past few years, Mizzou has been playing a "border war" kickoff game (Arch Rivalry) with the Illini and it's played at the Edward Jones Dome. A game that you can easily find tickets for, in 2010, attendance was around 58k. I believe the Dome sits around 70k

AU Grad, but have lived in Kansas City for a while and have followed the program. MU Football is in pretty good shape and will be able to compete on par with Arkansas I think. The fan base is very knowledgeable and passionate. I don't know why Jarhead said that the team is not supported in Columbia??? That BCS #1 year, 2007, caused total bedlam in Columbia and Kansas City.

Anyway, they are not SEC caliber yet but I think they make a nice addition. BTW, Starkville makes Columbia, MO look like Los Angeles.

Interesting to get some info from somebody who is familiar Missouri fans. I'm a bit confused by your post though...do they want to join the SEC or do they not want to b/c they are worried about not being able to compete? Or is it just that they are conflicted?

I believe the best way to explain it is that they are kinda conflicted over the whole thing. The fans think a move to the SEC would be awesome just from the program awareness side of things. The concern that they all have is that Mizzou being able to compete and contend for league championships would become much more difficult and in tirn they believe recruiting players would become more difficult as well.

I don't know why Jarhead said that the team is not supported in Columbia??? That BCS #1 year, 2007, caused total bedlam in Columbia and Kansas City.

I said it because that's what I saw with my eyes. At Auburn, think about how many windows in the dorms have Auburn flags up, how many cars have AU flags on them. Didn't see it at all in Columbia.

The only Bedlam I saw in KC that year was from the OU fans, who easily outnumbered the number one team in the nation, when they were in town for the Big-XII title game.

I drove through there a couple of times two weeks or so ago. They have a series of billboards on I-70 with M-I-Z-Z-O-U spelled out. They really look nice. Someone is promoting and supporting them.

If we get them and Clemson, maybe we can have an SEC Tigers Division!!

I drove through there a couple of times two weeks or so ago. They have a series of billboards on I-70 with M-I-Z-Z-O-U spelled out. They really look nice. Someone is promoting and supporting them.

If we get them and Clemson, maybe we can have an SEC Tigers Division!!

Don't forget Memphis and Princeton!

I don't know why Jarhead said that the team is not supported in Columbia??? That BCS #1 year, 2007, caused total bedlam in Columbia and Kansas City.

I said it because that's what I saw with my eyes. At Auburn, think about how many windows in the dorms have Auburn flags up, how many cars have AU flags on them. Didn't see it at all in Columbia.

The only Bedlam I saw in KC that year was from the OU fans, who easily outnumbered the number one team in the nation, when they were in town for the Big-XII title game.

In 2007 the Big XII title game was played in San Antonio. That was the year they were #1 and got boat raced by Oklahoma. I'm not saying you're wrong, just my observations.

In 2007 the Big XII title game was played in San Antonio. That was the year they were #1 and got boat raced by Oklahoma. I'm not saying you're wrong, just my observations.

I worked for UM system from 2006 to 2009. Splitting time in KC, Columbia, and St Louis, so the years tend to run together (with the majority of the time being KC and Columbia).

You're right, the 07 game was in San Antonio, the 08 game at Arrow Head.

I was in KC for the weekends of the 06 and 08 games, 06 being Nebraska vs OU and 08 being MU vs OU. Of the three fan bases, MU fans were least represented. Maybe they didn't want to go out and party the night before. Maybe they felt they were too close to KC, and could come in the day of the game. Maybe in 08, they were butt hurt from the loss KU gave them (strange that they could fit 79k for the border war, but could only fit 71k for the B12CG). I daresay that if AU lost to Alabama, and the next week, played Tennessee in the SECCG, there would not be 8k empty seats. Granted, it's an outdoor stadium, in December, but the fact of the matter is that 2 hours from their city, and they couldn't pack the stadium.

If 38-17 is "boat raced," what's 62-21?

As far as total Bedlam in Columbia. I remember very clearly seeing Dan McLaughlin, the voice of the MU Tigers for FSN, holding up a copy of the newspaper touting them as being number 1, giving his weekly telecast, while I was walking back from Shakes Pizza. I remember thinking, wow, number 1 in the nation, and not one student seen wearing an MU hat. Not one car with an MU flag. No "Go Tigers" paintings on the windows of the restaurants downtown. But hey, maybe I was on the side of campus with all the Foreign Exchange students.

I worked for UM system from 2006 to 2009. Splitting time in KC, Columbia, and St Louis, so the years tend to run together (with the majority of the time being KC and Columbia).

You're right, the 07 game was in San Antonio, the 08 game at Arrow Head.

I was in KC for the weekends of the 06 and 08 games, 06 being Nebraska vs OU and 08 being MU vs OU. Of the three fan bases, MU fans were least represented. Maybe they didn't want to go out and party the night before. Maybe they felt they were too close to KC, and could come in the day of the game. Maybe in 08, they were butt hurt from the loss KU gave them (strange that they could fit 79k for the border war, but could only fit 71k for the B12CG). I daresay that if AU lost to Alabama, and the next week, played Tennessee in the SECCG, there would not be 8k empty seats. Granted, it's an outdoor stadium, in December, but the fact of the matter is that 2 hours from their city, and they couldn't pack the stadium.

If 38-17 is "boat raced," what's 62-21?

As far as total Bedlam in Columbia. I remember very clearly seeing Dan McLaughlin, the voice of the MU Tigers for FSN, holding up a copy of the newspaper touting them as being number 1, giving his weekly telecast, while I was walking back from Shakes Pizza. I remember thinking, wow, number 1 in the nation, and not one student seen wearing an MU hat. Not one car with an MU flag. No "Go Tigers" paintings on the windows of the restaurants downtown. But hey, maybe I was on the side of campus with all the Foreign Exchange students.

You spent more time than I did in Columbia during that time so I can't argue with you on that. From a KC perspective, I remember the alums and fans to be very excited and filling the sportstalk air waves. That being said, I realize they don't have an SEC type fanbase. My main point was that I think they will make a nice addition to the conference. Funny about the foreign exchange students. Gamedays in Auburn, you would always see the foreign students heading to the library as everyone else partied at their tailgates.

Do you still live in STL? Score any WS tickets?

You spent more time than I did in Columbia during that time so I can't argue with you on that. From a KC perspective, I remember the alums and fans to be very excited and filling the sportstalk air waves. That being said, I realize they don't have an SEC type fanbase. My main point was that I think they will make a nice addition to the conference. Funny about the foreign exchange students. Gamedays in Auburn, you would always see the foreign students heading to the library as everyone else partied at their tailgates.

And I don't mean to sound combative, so if I'm coming across that way, I apologize. Just seemed odd to me, that's all. I hope they do come in, for no more reason that I'll be able to see AU play 2 hours from my house (I live in STL). Maybe being in the SEC will make them a better fan base.

I didn't listen to much sports radio in KC or Columbia (although I do remember Bobby Knight giving a press conference once after they played TTU - and it was priceless, he brought his grandson up to the podium, and at one point, looked at his grandson, pointed to all of the media, and said to his grandson, "You and I are, without a doubt, the most intelligent people in this room."). There was a new sports bar that opened in the Plaza while I was there, and the college loyalty seemed to be split between MU and KU (KSU a very distant third).

Do you consider KC a big college sports town? I almost felt like it was Chiefs first, everything else second. Much like I'd consider St Louis to be a Cardinals city, everything else secondary.

And no, can't go to any world series games. Currently working at the Univ of Maryland in College Park, and wont be home until the weekend.

And I don't mean to sound combative, so if I'm coming across that way, I apologize. Just seemed odd to me, that's all. I hope they do come in, for no more reason that I'll be able to see AU play 2 hours from my house (I live in STL). Maybe being in the SEC will make them a better fan base.

I didn't listen to much sports radio in KC or Columbia (although I do remember Bobby Knight giving a press conference once after they played TTU - and it was priceless, he brought his grandson up to the podium, and at one point, looked at his grandson, pointed to all of the media, and said to his grandson, "You and I are, without a doubt, the most intelligent people in this room."). There was a new sports bar that opened in the Plaza while I was there, and the college loyalty seemed to be split between MU and KU (KSU a very distant third).

Do you consider KC a big college sports town? I almost felt like it was Chiefs first, everything else second. Much like I'd consider St Louis to be a Cardinals city, everything else secondary.

And no, can't go to any world series games. Currently working at the Univ of Maryland in College Park, and wont be home until the weekend.

I think it's a pretty good college sports town but the Chiefs are first.

1. Chiefs
  2. KU/K-State/MU Basketball
  3. KU/K-State/MU Football
  4. Royals Baseball
  5. Sporting KC
  6. any NASCAR event at Kansas Speedway

Archived