JUCO offensive tackle switches commit from WVU to Auburn

TitanTiger

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking a visit to FSU is one thing. If Latu flips to FSU, it may be time to run around shouting "the sky is falling", because it pretty much will be falling.

The talk is that our interest in him was partly about the fact that he'd be an early enrollee. Now it's looking like he won't have the grades in place to do that so it would be summer at the earliest. That could have something to do with it, which he sort of indicates in that article.

Not only not an early enrollee but potentially a non-qualifier. Bottom line, grades are an issue and we've backed off. More than likely, in one or the other, he's been told to look for other options. This one is on Latu, not the fact the 'sky is falling', etc. We need an OT that will qualify, it's that simple.

Will Latu re-opens recruiting, plans a visit to FSU

John C. Cotey, Tampa Bay Times

Will Latu, a former Gibbs player and the top-rated junior college offensive lineman in the country according to Rivals, is no longer headed to the Southeastern Conference and has already scheduled a visit to Florida State next weekend.

Latu has re-opened his recruiting after a poor academic semester in the fall left him unable to qualify to enroll at Auburn, where he had verbally committed in July, in time to join the team for the summer workouts.

He said he failed some classes in the fall, and while he still expects to graduate in the spring, making up those classes to be eligible in the SEC would take up half his summer.

"It's just a whole bunch of hassle,'' he said. "I'm not saying I can't do it, but with another school I can graduate in May and be there in June,'' said Latu. "If I were to stay with Auburn I wouldn't graduate until the summer and not get there until August, and everything would be rushed.''

Latu said he is disappointed and isn't backing away from Auburn for any other reason.

The 6-foot-5, 320-pound tackle, is the No. 7 overall juco recruit in the country. He is currently enrolled at the College of Canyons in Santa Clarita, Calif..

He will visit Tallahassee with one of his three remaining visits. Latu is deciding between Oklahoma, Oregon, Arizona State and USC for the others.

Having already weathered a firestorm of criticism from West Virginia fans after committing to the Mountainers and changing his mind, Latu is now bracing for more of the same from Tiger fans.

"It's going to be ridiculous,'' Latu said. "But I know I can go through it. I went through with West Virginia. But this is just something I have to do. It's what's best for me.''

Latu only played one season of high school football at Gibbs. The only school interested in him at the next level was Northern State University, a Division II school in Aberdeen, S.D.

After being redshirted and discovering the scholarship offered barely covered his costs, he transferred to the College of Canyons, where his financial struggles continued to prove a distraction.

But he developed into the best offensive lineman in the junior college ranks, and had his pick of major BCS schools. Latu said he was devastated to learn he would not qualify academically at Auburn.

He confesses to looking ahead to finishing a tough two-year run at College of the Canyons, to the point where he stopped paying attention in class.

"At the beginning of it, I was pretty upset. I was back at square one,'' he said. "I pretty much hit rock bottom. I talked to my parents, and they just encouraged me to keep going. I guess I was caught up in the anticipation of getting out here, instead of using it more like motivation to keep pushing. But everybody makes mistakes. I'm just trying to learn from them now.''

Latu is taking five classes in the spring, and insists he will pass them all.

"I know I gotta stop messing around,'' he said.

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/gibbs-will-latu-re-opens-recruiting-plans-visit-fs/12280/

I hate it, but it's hard to be all that upset about someone that isn't taking their academics seriously. He might have started next season, then just as we come to rely on him, find out he's failing some class again. Because I've got news for him...Auburn wasn't going to be easier than College of the Canyons.

There's no other place id rather be than au but things happen and maybe it'll workout or maybe it won't. Appreciate those who been along with me on this journey

@latu77

Well then.....With Slive making the SEC have a self-imposed limit of 25 signees we can't afford to sign a guy that's not going to qualify. Non SEC teams can oversign and if some don't qualify, no big deal they have a backup. SEC teams don't have a backup and Auburn needs warm bodies.

Good luck to Latu, hope it works for you somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny. The ACC requiremenus are easier than SEC.

You can add the Big 12 (or whatever their name is now) to that list.

Junior college offensive tackle Will Latu has committed to Oklahoma.

@SoonerNation

• 6 months later...
Junior college offensive tackle Will Latu has committed to Oklahoma.

@SoonerNation

thought I would update this one as the following was just mentioned on twitter:

Justin Hokanson@JHokanson

Former Auburn commit. Grades were a concern at the time. RT @SoonerScoop: Source tells us Will Latu has failed to qualify...

So, he didn't qualify at Oklahoma either.

Looks like Latu signed with Arky St.

I'm starting to wonder how Gus missed on Zeke Pike. It seems like Pike would fit right in.

Probably not a bad plan by CGM. As long as Latu can qualify at ASU. The Big East has been doing this for a while now. For one, Noel Devine (sp?) couldnt get in any where else but had a pretty good career at WVU.

Kinda like Terry was doing with Daddy's leftovers.

You mean Takieo Spikes, Willie Anderson, Fred Beasley and Damyune Craig were leftovers? I'd take 'em all day long. The guys Gus is picking up have lots of baggage. Big difference.

Kinda like Terry was doing with Daddy's leftovers.

You mean Takieo Spikes, Willie Anderson, Fred Beasley and Damyune Craig were leftovers? I'd take 'em all day long. The guys Gus is picking up have lots of baggage. Big difference.

Or Demontray Carter.......

Archived