Dept. of Justice Talking to BCS

Proud Tiger

[/color]

With all due respect this guy needs his head examined.

*Iowa paid 23k to the Citrus Bowl for its Marching Band to perform at halftime,

*Florida International went to the Motor City Bowl for FREE,

*UCONN lost 3 million at the Fiesta Bowl

*Ohio State lost 2 mil in the Rose Bowl

*Tulane, Boise State, UTAH, Auburn all went undefeated and did not play for a championship while

*A two loss team won a championship

*The Chairman of the Fiesta Bowl spent $1200 bones on a a strip club visit while calling it a business meeting

*The board of 15 who had to decide if the Fiesta Bowl should keep BCS Status 12 had taken handsout from the BCS.

Now how the hell could the government "ruin college football" thats like saying do not go run the car that was just totalled in the demolition derby.

I believe playoffs would be better but the federal government should stay out. If the federal gov gets involved they will ruin college football like they ruin everything else.

How the hell could the government ruin college football?

Because they ruin everything when they start meddling around.

I hope you don't believe government officials don't take handouts or bribes. I'll spare you the examples, because the volume would crash this site. The government is far more corrupt that any corrupt non-government entity.

Like the BCS isn't corrupt and is above taking bribes or dishing out handouts to keep everything status quo? Pfft.

Btw, instead of complaining about the government, how about instead complaining anout the major companies who are the ones offering all the $$$$ to get their way. You wanna fix the government? Simple. Ban lobbiest, take major corporations special interest out of it, and do what ever possible to make sure these companies quit overcharging the hell out of the government by using thier connections in office to do so. Their greedy ###### are the ones killing our country by making rain with the lawmakers to get their way. That along with convincing people that unions which were fought for for 100+ years are terrible and need to be done away with. The poor person drawing a $200 a week on unemployment or welfare and the old person getting their perscriptions filled on Medicare and drawing SS are all bad. Its the Billionares who abuses the system in everyway possible to get his way are the problems. Before long there will be no such thing as a middle class. Just the rich man and the poor MFers that he works for next to nothing. In the billionairs eyes all laborers are expendable and the gap betwen the upper and middle class just keeps widening. So before you lay everything at the feet of the government, remember its those greedy people on the otherside of the equation that are pulling their strings and recieving all these big $$$ government contracts.

All of the things you listed are topics the government should resolve before even thinking about college football.

I certainly can agree with that.

-------------

Btw, as far as the playoff talk goes, I think AUgrad00 has it nailed.

Enough of this crap about a playoff would destroy the regular season. That's just a stupid take. College football is the only sport a team can go undefeated and not crowned champion.

How important was the regular season when LSU had toe losses and won the BCS or Utah, Tulane, TCU, Boise Stare and Auburb all went undefeated,

If you have a 16 team playoff with 11 conference champions all of a sudden the sunbelt conference the WAC the mountain west all are relative.

Futhermore a playoff makes the POSTSEASON RELATIVE. Right now bowl games don't mean crap.

Again I pose a question why is it so damn Important to preserve the bowl system? How do you defend bowl directors taking all of college football's money the using a bunch of pr slacks telling us bowl games are a great tradition.

A playoff would make the regular season and postseason more exciting and relevant then play them on campus and you have a winner.

I don't think all playoff option would ruin the regular season. I think putting too many teams in a playoff would. For example, if top 16 get in then the number 1 team could sit out their starters for the final regular season game.

I think you meant relevant instead of relative. The sun belt, wac, and mwc should not be relevant. They are not strong enough to yield an auto qualifier. I support a 4 team playoff, Top 4 conference champions. Other teams can continue going to bowls.

I think the fix for crappy bowls is to not require schools to purchase the tickets from their allotment that are not purchased by their fans. That's why teams lose money going to bowls. That would also make the lower bowls think harder about continuing without that guaranteed revenue. There are way too many bowls because the bowls make money from the guaranteed ticket revenue that us a burden to the schools that go to thr crappy bowls.

Oh, and Uconn lost money going to a bcs game because the big east is a horrible football conference and should not be included in the bcs.

So with your argument why should the mountain west and any teams outside the big four conference even field a football team if they do not have a chance to play for the championships? in one post you say a playoff makes the regular season irrelevant yet by your prior post you immediately made 60 plus teams season irrelevant.

App State won at Michigan and you ever watch the NCAA tourney? If say Ball State when they were really good several years back beat say Michigan in a first round match up how exciting would that be?

So would you agree with me the only way to solve ticket guarantees and issues with bowl games is to have the NCAA run the bowl games?

Of course I would pose the question why not play them on campus? if Auburn had a first round matchup with Ohio State in Colimbus would that not be sooo much more exciting then the freaking Citrus Bowl or some neutral venue?

I have yet to hear a good reason Auburn could not have hosted Oregon for a title matchup last season

I think you meant relevant instead of relative. The sun belt, wac, and mwc should not be relevant. They are not strong enough to yield an auto qualifier. I support a 4 team playoff, Top 4 conference champions. Other teams can continue going to bowls.

I think the fix for crappy bowls is to not require schools to purchase the tickets from their allotment that are not purchased by their fans. That's why teams lose money going to bowls. That would also make the lower bowls think harder about continuing without that guaranteed revenue. There are way too many bowls because the bowls make money from the guaranteed ticket revenue that us a burden to the schools that go to thr crappy bowls.

Oh, and Uconn lost money going to a bcs game because the big east is a horrible football conference and should not be included in the bcs.

I don't think access to a title game should be restricted to the winners of 4 conferences. Perhaps add 2 wild cards to the mix and force the top 2 ranked teams to take a bye to open the playoffs. I say 'forced' because they

d be the ones losing money if the games were played on campus.

The biggest advantage to NOT having things mandated and statutorized (if that's a word) is that they would remain flexible and could be worked out over a 10-15 year span to fine tune a way that worked best.

If schools weren' forced to buy up unsold tickets then the bowls would look closer to home to fill their games. Nothing wrong with that at all. It would mean teams not crossing the country for a bowl game and their fans having a more accessible game to go to. Bowls like the ones in G'ham, Mobile, and S'port would have to actually put on a game p0eople wanted to attend or shut down.

So with your argument why should the mountain west and any teams outside the big four conference even field a football team if they do not have a chance to play for the championships? in one post you say a playoff makes the regular season irrelevant yet by your prior post you immediately made 60 plus teams season irrelevant.

App State won at Michigan and you ever watch the NCAA tourney? If say Ball State when they were really good several years back beat say Michigan in a first round match up how exciting would that be?

So would you agree with me the only way to solve ticket guarantees and issues with bowl games is to have the NCAA run the bowl games?

Of course I would pose the question why not play them on campus? if Auburn had a first round matchup with Ohio State in Colimbus would that not be sooo much more exciting then the freaking Citrus Bowl or some neutral venue?

I have yet to hear a good reason Auburn could not have hosted Oregon for a title matchup last season

I think many people have a problem with giving non-bcs conference automatic bids to a proposed playoff because their conferences are not as tough as the BCS conferences. It works in basketball only because the power conferences still get in 5-8 teams alot of the time. Nobody wants to see a 64 team playoff in football so to say the SEC can only get as many teams in the playoffs as the Sunbelt is not going to happen, the BCS schools wont allow it.

The announced Fiesta Bowl payout to U-Conn was a guaranteed minimum of 17 million dollars. If they lost three more million on top of that, they must have had one helluva time out there.

As someone once noted, figures don't lie, but liars figure.

Every college football fan should read "Death to the BCS" seriously.

Mikey the Payout is 17 million dollars. Schools do not see that. Only 10-12 bowl games are self sustaining. So as a result the revenues from the self sustaining bowl games are divided amongst schools to offset those non sustaining bowls. Its a welfare state. This is how Florida made a HUGE HUGE $47,000 as a result of being in the BCS Championship game in 2008. This is the myth of the BCS and bowl games. The money AU made from the BCS Championship game was sent to Georgia and Alabama and Mississippi State all schools in bowl games that otherwise would lose money.

They dont make great amount of cash for schools it a finanical albatross. Especially in comparison to a playoff. Have a playoff run by the NCAA eliminating the middle man bowl games and bowl directors and College football has lottery ticket in hand. Furthermore it would be more profitable even Jim Delaney says a playoff would create 4 times the revenues of the current system.

Doubt me, the Sugar bowl has 31 million in reserves while spending 2 million in parties in 2009. Your right the numbers don lie that is 31 million college football could have instead some moron making 600,000 k year that does nothing for college football has that.

So a playoff system would increase the importance of the regular season, increase the important of the post season, increase the revenues by 4 times, increase TV exposure and contracts, and crown a true champion and only those effected would be bowl directors so why should I be against a playoff?

Next. I will continue to destroy the lame talking points the BCS have you believe.

The announced Fiesta Bowl payout to U-Conn was a guaranteed minimum of 17 million dollars. If they lost three more million on top of that, they must have had one helluva time out there.

As someone once noted, figures don't lie, but liars figure.

The standard response the the BCS question is that the Big 10 and the PAC 10 would not give up the Rose Bowl.

After the Fiasco Bowl I wonder how many NCCA/AA types don't want to give up their free perks.

I don't think we need the Big 10 or the Pac 10 for a true playoff. The interest generated from the current non BCS leagues would overshadow the non participants, and once they saw the money generated they would ditch the bowls just like the NIT 40 year ago.

Little Doc

Archived