Darius Philon commits to AU!

RunInRed

Just another reason that these early commits aren't solid. Are they meaningful, maybe. It might get a guy who is wavering to commit if he knows a school is going to have a good class, but until the ink is dried, these are still 16-18 year old kids who have no clue how to handle the national spotlight.

Just another reason that these early commits aren't solid. Are they meaningful, maybe.

Something like 90% of "early commits" will end up signing with Auburn, and of the ones that dont the majority are kids that leave mutually (ie: they are told to go elsewhere). Those are the facts.

Just another reason that these early commits aren't solid. Are they meaningful, maybe.

Something like 90% of "early commits" will end up signing with Auburn, and of the ones that dont the majority are kids that leave mutually (ie: they are told to go elsewhere). Those are the facts.

Oh, well thanks for the info. Just seems every year we lose a few "locks". I wasn't aware though that the numbers were that high. agree.gif

Just seems every year we lose a few "locks".

Are these "locks" kids that actually commit at one point?

Calloway and CK actually committed.

Just seems every year we lose a few "locks".

Are these "locks" kids that actually commit at one point?

They were late commits. metafour specifically said:

Something like 90% of "early commits" will end up signing with Auburn...

I would go so far to say that this is true of most of the big time programs like bammer, LSU and so on too. In fact, Calloway proves that point (aside from the Peaches stuff). He was an early commit to bammer and that's where he ended up...whether he liked it or not.

Those were also big shockers with more outside intervention than you could fit in Jordan-Hare.

I'm just saying, people continually rag on about "blah blah means nothing until signing day" as if half the kids that commit early end up signing elsewhere when the reality is that the amount of early commits that actually legitimately decide to sign with another school is really small.

metafour, do you think Philon could be a case of the coaches seeing greener pastures elsewhere? Being pretty speculative here, I know... he hasn't even decommitted.

I have read of numerous other more highly rated DTs with Auburn high on their lists.

• 1 month later...

Decommited.

Saying he rushed his commitment to Auburn earlier this spring, Vigor defensive lineman Darius Philon on Monday said he has re-opened his recruitment.

"I feel like I was rushing at the time," the 6-foot-2, 255-pound Philon said of his May commitment to the Tigers. "You know how you have an offer from an SEC school in your state and you just go for what you know, especially if they're known for winning.

"I shouldn't have committed early. Basically, I was just rushing things and being hard-headed."

Philon, No. 15 on the Press-Register's recently released Elite 18 list of the state's top prospects, racked up 93 tackles, with 20 for losses, as a junior in 2010. He plans to announce his final choice after the season said he will still consider the Tigers. He also has offers from Alabama, Mississippi State, Kentucky and others.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/darius_philon_decommits_from_a.html

Well I guess we found one of those 10%. ;)

True. Also, our star rating just went up... :rolleyes:

That drops us to 1 DL in the class so far. Interesting.

Interesting, and also very bad news. This guy was way under-rated. This doesn't mean we are out of it but it's certainly not a good development.

The NCAA is hurting us badly by refusing to go ahead and clear Auburn and Cam from the situation of Cecil's discussions with MSU representatives. It wouldn't take an acclaimed writer to fashion a letter that would clear Auburn and Cam without closing the entire case. Hell, I'll write it for them if they are that short of help!

I don't think it had anything to do with the NCAA. Philon was wavering from almost the get go. We could get a certified letter from the NCAA tomorrow clearing us and it likely wouldn't affect his decision. Kid's getting an earful of bammer.

Well I guess we found one of those 10%. ;)

True. Also, our star rating just went up... :rolleyes:

That drops us to 1 DL in the class so far. Interesting.

Interesting, and also very bad news. This guy was way under-rated. This doesn't mean we are out of it but it's certainly not a good development.

The NCAA is hurting us badly by refusing to go ahead and clear Auburn and Cam from the situation of Cecil's discussions with MSU representatives. It wouldn't take an acclaimed writer to fashion a letter that would clear Auburn and Cam without closing the entire case. Hell, I'll write it for them if they are that short of help!

Not really. The NCAA already did this by declaring Cam Newton eligible the week of the SEC Championship game. The fact that others ignore this fact doesn't make it less credible.

This sucks but he isn't irreplaceable. We have a young d-line still so even if we don't "replace" him It won't be a huge deal. There are still plenty of other players out there.

I would look elsewhere if I were Chizk and Co. but I'm sure he will do the right thing and stay after the kid.

Of course clearing Cam in December should have ended it, but Emmert had to add the meaningless "at this time" qualifier to his statement, thus dragging the thing out until who knows when?

It may not have hurt us with Philon, there are indications that our coaches aren't too upset about him backing off, but it's hurting us overall.

Yes, the recruiting has been going well. How much better would it be if we weren't having to overcome a bunch of lies? That's why Coach Chizik lit into Roe-Lach in Destin. We know it's over as far as Auburn is concerned, the NCAA knows it's over. They owe us a clear, concise, public statement saying Auburn did nothing wrong in the recruitment of Cam Newton.

It won't stop the liars and conspiracy nuts but it would give our coaches a letter under the NCAA's letterhead proving that the crap is, well, crap.

Of course clearing Cam in December should have ended it, but Emmert had to add the meaningless "at this time" qualifier to his statement, thus dragging the thing out until who knows when?

It may not have hurt us with Philon, there are indications that our coaches aren't too upset about him backing off, but it's hurting us overall.

Yes, the recruiting has been going well. How much better would it be if we weren't having to overcome a bunch of lies? That's why Coach Chizik lit into Roe-Lach in Destin. We know it's over as far as Auburn is concerned, the NCAA knows it's over. They owe us a clear, concise, public statement saying Auburn did nothing wrong in the recruitment of Cam Newton.

It won't stop the liars and conspiracy nuts but it would give our coaches a letter under the NCAA's letterhead proving that the crap is, well, crap.

How much better could it be? I don't know. We have more commits at this point of the year than we've ever had before and they are almost all highly rated prospects. It's hard to imagine it going much better.

How much better could it be? I don't know. We have more commits at this point of the year than we've ever had before and they are almost all highly rated prospects. It's hard to imagine it going much better.

What I'm going by is Coach Chizik saying it was hurting recruiting. He's in a position to know and common sense tells us that having to explain away a bunch of lies can hardly be a plus when you are trying to sell a recruit on your school.

Kwon Alexander and the Taylor WR from Florida have both stated that they are concerned with "what's going on at Auburn". Taylor said that when he committed to LSU.

"Not really. The NCAA already did this by declaring Cam Newton eligible the week of the SEC Championship game. The fact that others ignore this fact doesn't make it less credible."

fast forward to June when, in front of a roomfull of SEC coaches, the NCAA says it has NOT conlcuded it's investigation of AUBURN and we'll know when they're finished. See the NYT and SI cites I posted here a half dozen times. So for dealing w/ a kid on the fence like Philon, that does not exactly help us. I wonder if Chizik would ask that question in that setting again?

"Not really. The NCAA already did this by declaring Cam Newton eligible the week of the SEC Championship game. The fact that others ignore this fact doesn't make it less credible."

fast forward to June when, in front of a roomfull of SEC coaches, the NCAA says it has NOT conlcuded it's investigation of AUBURN and we'll know when they're finished. See the NYT and SI cites I posted here a half dozen times. So for dealing w/ a kid on the fence like Philon, that does not exactly help us. I wonder if Chizik would ask that question in that setting again?

I think you missed that. If I remember correctly the lady from the NCAA said "We will let you know when we are through with the Cam Newton investigation." The bammers jumped on that and immediately started ranting that AU was being investigated. It very well could be the Mississippi State recruitment of Cam that is being investigated. After all it was their boosters who were looking for $$$$ to sign Cam at MSU. It was MSU coaches who knew about it long before it was reported to the SEC & NCAA. In fact they didn't bother to report it till after Cam had enrolled at AU.

Archived