Dems plot to get $21B from Big Oil

Auburn85

Well, you specifically referenced Apple "since they have lots of cash" but to my knowledge, they don't receive federal subsidies. Your argument may have been easier to understand if you gave a few examples of other subsidies you want to eliminate.

Advancing the conversation, I'm not sure I'm versed enough to be on board with eliminating subsidies to all industries. There may be some areas, that align with our national objectives, that are worth encouraging.

Don't change what I said or what I meant.

What I said was:

None of these are "subsidies", other than intangible drilling costs but they are effectively identical to NRE (Non-Reoccurring Engineering) costs written off by Apple, Intel, and Microsoft.

That's how Apple entered the conversation.

Only in democrat minds are tax breaks subsidies.

Only in democrat minds are tax breaks considered spending and conversely eliminating those tax breaks are considered spending cuts.

Well, you specifically referenced Apple "since they have lots of cash" but to my knowledge, they don't receive federal subsidies. Your argument may have been easier to understand if you gave a few examples of other subsidies you want to eliminate.

Advancing the conversation, I'm not sure I'm versed enough to be on board with eliminating subsidies to all industries. There may be some areas, that align with our national objectives, that are worth encouraging.

Every single corporation gets subsidies through the tax code. At least I consider them subsidies. Apple pays around 25% effective tax rate, that other 10% is a subsidy, imho.

Archived