Darvin Adams

RunInRed

He's a better WR than JJ, aka Dropsy. Still can't believe he went top 10. He drops way too many easy passes, imo.

:rolleyes::roflol:

JJ has the size and speed to be an excellent NFL receiver. Personally I would have taken him ahead of AJ Green. DA had alligator arms, at times, and is currently too slight of build to be able to release at the line in the NFL. DA would definitely be a slot receiver due to size lack of build in the NFL. A team would have to scheme to get him open, I don't see that happening for a FA long shot.

Big whoop! If he had trouble ALL year catching the easy passes from noodle arm McElroy, how is he gonna catch the bullets that Matt Ryan throws!!! No way I take JJ over AJ Green. AJ is a much better receiver. I don't remember DA dropping that many, not nearly as many as JJ. JJ might have run a 4.39 40 at the combine, but if ya can't catch it , it doesn't matter. DA had an average of 4.56 40 time, which is not terribly slow. That in combination with being 190# right now might have hurt him.

The WR group is better next year? Really? There will be more than 2 Top Ten WRs next year? This year seemed like a deeeeeep group at his spot. I mean, Randall Cobb went late second. That's a statement.

Reps would've helped Adams, and showing more consistency (read: a season with less drops) would've improved his draft stock as much or more than adding weight. He would've gotten drafted next year. Regardless, I hope he lands a job somewhere. He's a solid WR.

That was the scouting report he was given. Did I write said scouting report? No. Was that scouting report given to him prior to juniors declaring? Probably so. I was simply passing on what he was told and advised. He knew when he made his decision he was a 5-7 round selection at best with a strong possibility of having to sign as a free agent. He made his decision on that with the understanding he might not be drafted. I'm sure his kids factored into his decision and free agency money is better than no money at all. There were other factors involved but I consider them private so I won't mention them in a public forum. He made his decision and he will have to live with it.

As for the 2012 draft, I don't follow the draft enough to know what WR's are projected to be drafted. I can tell you this...

In the 10 NFL drafts prior to 2011, 40 WR's were taken in the 1st round for an average of 4 per season. This includes 13 taken during the first 10 selections. There were 6 drafts where at least 2 WR's were taken within the first 10 selections. Based on previous numbers, having 2 taken in the first 10 selections would not be a shocker.

Stat I wasn't attacking you. I was simply making an observation. Whoever wrote that report should be out of a job. My point about the top of the draft was simple: this class wasn't thin. It's not like he walked into a bad WR draft. This was as good as any WR draft in the last four or five years. Next year may be just as good, but it won't be appreciable better.

Stat I wasn't attacking you. I was simply making an observation. Whoever wrote that report should be out of a job. My point about the top of the draft was simple: this class wasn't thin. It's not like he walked into a bad WR draft. This was as good as any WR draft in the last four or five years. Next year may be just as good, but it won't be appreciable better.

2011: 3 WR's taken in the 1st round, 2 in the top 10.

2009: 6 WR's taken in the 1st round, 2 in the top 10.

2007: 6 WR's taken in the 1st round, 2 in the top 10.

I know you stated in the last 4-5 years but...

2005: 6 WR's taken in the 1st round, 3 in the top 10.

2004: 7 WR's taken in the 1st round, 3 in the top 10.

As I stated before, I don't follow the NFL Draft until draft day to guess at how many WR's will go in the first round of the 2012 draft. I have looked at some 2012 projections and I already found 4 draft projections that have 5 WR's going in the first round with 2 going in the top 10. Alshon Jeffery of South Carolina and Justin Blackmon of OK State seem to be the most highest rated right now. Of all the projections I've found, 11 different WR's have made the list of first round picks. The most I saw projected in the first round was 8 and 3 was the fewest. Judging by these projections it would appear the 2012 class of WR's could be better than 2011.

Smack. Down. I stand corrected. I suppose the moral of the story is: Darvin may not have been draft-worthy next year either. Hope the lockout ends sooner than later or else he's going to miss his chance to audition for a roster spot.

Smack. Down. I stand corrected. I suppose the moral of the story is: Darvin may not have been draft-worthy next year either. Hope the lockout ends sooner than later or else he's going to miss his chance to audition for a roster spot.

The lockout has really screwed Adams and other FA players, who likely would have signed with clubs the night of the last day of the NFL draft. As Titan stated, it would be nice to have a rule in place to allow early defections and opportunity to return to their schools if they failed to get drafted.

As Titan stated, it would be nice to have a rule in place to allow early defections and opportunity to return to their schools if they failed to get drafted.

I would be against such a change with an undrafted player getting to return to his college team because I think it would encourage more underclassmen to declare early with the possibility of returning to the team if they failed to be drafted.

Don't take this in a negative light, but I think the NCAA rules should be written for the maximum benefit of the athletes, not the school, not the administrators that have their salary paid by the hard work of these amateur athletes, and not the fans that obsess over their performance. We should treat these students in the same manner we treat a music major in the band. Or else we are hypocrites for quoting the Auburn Creed.

Little doc

As Titan stated, it would be nice to have a rule in place to allow early defections and opportunity to return to their schools if they failed to get drafted.

I would be against such a change with an undrafted player getting to return to his college team because I think it would encourage more underclassmen to declare early with the possibility of returning to the team if they failed to be drafted.

Agreed. It's life. Make your decision and deal with it. It shouldn't be like test driving a vehicle.

Well, I'm all for letting players try to come back, but the logistics have to be considered. In mid-January, amateur athletes forgo amateur status and declare for the draft. Coaches sign players in February. In Auburn's case, we've got headroom, but if 10 Juniors declare on a team that normally would only sign 15 player due to the 85 player limit, who gets the scholarship when those 10 guys come back to college?

Overview of NFL draft rules for underclassmen:

NFL Draft Rules for Underclassmen

Hiring an agent means you're giving up college football for good. Football image by Brian Garvey from Fotolia.com

At one time, a college football player could hope to be selected in the NFL draft only if he had used up all four years of his college eligibility--that is, he was a "senior" athletically, if not academically--or if he graduated early. That changed in 1989. Legal challenges from college players, led by future Hall of Famer Barry Sanders, opened the door to underclassmen "coming out" for the draft. An interlocking set of NFL and NCAA rules governs the process.

Eligibility

For a player to be eligible for the draft, at least three years must have passed since he graduated from high school, or--if he didn't actually graduate--since his high school class graduated. This is the only restriction, and it applies regardless of how much college football he played, or whether he played at all. In 2004, Ohio State freshman Maurice Clarett sued the NFL over the age limit. Federal courts eventually ruled against him, saying that since the restriction had been collectively bargained between the league and its players, it wasn't subject to judicial review.

Declaring

NFL teams can't draft an underclassman unless he has declared himself eligible for the draft. Players wishing to enter the draft must submit to the league a signed and notarized petition renouncing all their remaining college eligibility. The deadline for declaring for the draft is Jan. 15. The draft is usually held in late April.

Backing Out

The standard draft petition includes a clause allowing the player to revoke the petition within three days of the NFL's draft declaration date. That means a player has until Jan. 18 to back out and return to college football. The NCAA, which writes the rules for college football, allows college players to "test the waters" like this one time while they are in school. However, if a player makes any kind of agreement, oral or written, to be represented by a player agent, or accepts anything from an agent or anyone working for an agent, the NCAA will void all his remaining eligibility. When Clarett lost his court case in 2004 and was thus barred from the draft, he was unable to return to college football for this reason.

Evaluation

Underclassmen considering entering the draft have the right to ask the league's College Advisory Committee for an assessment of their chances. The committee, made up of NFL talent evaluators and scouts, provides an estimate of when the player can expect to be taken in the seven-round draft. The assessment is not a promise or a guarantee that this is where he'll be drafted--or even that he'll be drafted at all. It's just a guess. Players have until early January to request an evaluation, although only those who do so by mid-December are guaranteed to get one.

Archived