Young AU Defense strives to be more aggressive

StatTiger

In 2009, Ted Roof’s defense struggled in both phases of the game with a run-defense ranked 78th nationally and a pass-defense ranked 58th nationally. Part of the problem was an excessive number of big plays allowed, resulting in a scoring defense ranked 79th nationally.

In 2010, Auburn made major strides to improve a run-defense that finished No. 9 as well as a defense that was No. 10 nationally in big plays allowed. Auburn also finished in the top-25 of tackles for loss (No. 16) and sacks (No. 24). Though the Tigers made improvements on run-defense, they dropped from No. 31 in pass-efficiency defense in 2009 to No. 76 in 2010.

Pass-defense in the Southeastern Conference wasn’t a major priority in the past due to the run heavy offenses but that has changed over the last decade. Some of the best offensive minds in college football are currently holding offensive coordinator positions within the conference, which should make for another banner year in 2011 if you like offensive football. From 2000-2010, the Big 12 had the most appearances in the top-40 of pass-efficiency with 58. The Southeastern Conference was close behind with 54. The Big 12 had 7 teams that appeared at least 4 times while the SEC had 8 teams, which means the SEC has officially become a more pass-oriented conference.

So what does this mean for the Auburn Tigers?

One of the goals for Ted Roof’s defense in 2011 is to minimize the number of big plays allowed and to create more impact plays on defense. Over the past two seasons, Auburn’s defense has surrendered 47 plays of 30-yards or more with 37 via the passing game. This includes a pass-defense, which has allowed the opponent to complete nearly 60 percent of their passes for 43 touchdowns over the past two seasons. Auburn must improve their pass-defense to compete with the more wide-open offenses operating within the conference.

Last season during Auburn’s national championship season, Auburn’s opponent had so much success throwing on first down; they threw the football 48 percent of the time compared to the 43 percent in 2009 and 42 percent in 2008. The 2010 Auburn defense allowed only 3.2 yards per play on first down, when the opponent ran the football but 8.4 yards per play, when they passed. Compounding the problem of 8.4 yards per pass attempt on first down was the 66 percent completion percentage Auburn allowed on first down.

How bad was the 2010 Auburn pass-defense?

Looking back at the last 50 years of Auburn football, here is where the 2010 Auburn pass-defense ranked in the following categories with previous Auburn defenses.

* Auburn allowed their opponent to complete 63.1 percent of their passes, which was dead last over the past 50 years and well below the average of 51.7 percent. The 2009 Auburn pass-defense finished at No. 44. It was the only time in the past 50-years, an Auburn defense allowed the opponent to complete 60 percent of their passes.

* Auburn allowed 7.05 yards per pass attempt, which was 42nd over the past 50 years. The 2009 defense finished at No. 28 compared to the 50-year average of 6.23 yards.

* Auburn allowed 11.2 yards per completion, which was 11th over the past 50-years and a slight improvement from the No. 12 ranking by the 2009 Auburn defense. The average allowed over the past 50-years is 12.1 yards.

* The 2010 Auburn defense had an interception ratio of 1 every 42.9 attempts, which was 47th over the past 50-years. The 2009 Auburn defense finished at No. 39 and the 50-year ratio is currently at 1 every 19.8 attempts.

* In 2010, Auburn allowed a TD pass every 21.5 attempts, which was 39th over the past 50-years. The 2009 Auburn defense was No. 18 and the 50-years average is currently 1 every 27.0 attempts.

* The 2010 Auburn defense had a pass-efficiency rating of 133.0, which was 49th over the past 50 years. The 2009 Auburn defense was 35th and the 50-year average rating was 106.2.

* Auburn’s pass-defense in 2010 had a TD to Interception ratio of 2.0, which was 48th over the past 50-years. The 2009 Auburn defense finished at No. 37 and the 50-year average is .73.

The above rankings are alarming and clearly an area which is being addressed by Coach Roof and his assistants.

What is the solution?

It starts with recruiting and bringing in the talent necessary to compete against SEC competition. Gene Chizik’s staff was dealt a short hand on defense, when they arrived in 2009. Of the 14 defensive players recruited from 2006-2008 with at least 4-stars, only 5 became a major contributor. Of the 28 players recruited for the front-7 from 2006-2008, 20 basically washed out, never making much of an impact on the field. The attrition rate for Tuberville’s last 3 recruiting classes was significant and only 8 scholarship players remain on the team for 2011.

Getting the talent to Auburn is step number 1 but coaching and development will decide just how successful each player will become. Only 2 Tuberville recruits are projected to be starters on defense in 2011, which means Auburn will field a young defense in 2011. It’s too early to tell how well the development phase has gone with Chizik’s staff entering their third season but we will certainly know more after 2011. Of the 22 players on defense expected to see significant action, 13 of them will be freshmen and sophomores. The 22 players also have an average of 14 games of experience under their belts, which means the majority of them are still in their development stages.

Schemes and play calling is the final step and we witnessed a more aggressive defense during the later part of the 2010 season. Ted Roof brought more blitzes and was multiple in his fronts. The Tigers play in a base 4-3 but we saw a 3-4 front at times against Oregon along with a 4-4 stack and the “bear” look during the regular season. In 2009, Roof was apprehensive about blitzing because of the big plays allowed by the secondary. In terms of talent, the 2011 secondary just might be the most talented group Coach Roof has worked with at Auburn and the defensive ends should be able to establish consistent pressure off the edge. Hopefully the combination will result in more sacks and interceptions along with fewer big plays.

Final word…

Auburn’s biggest issue on pass-defense was defending the short passing game in 2010. This was evident by the high completion rate yet low yards per completion average. Except for Arkansas, most of the pass-offenses in the conference are centered on a perimeter passing game. It limits the opportunity for sacks, while allowing receivers to make yardage after the catch. The only way to slow this down is with tight or press coverage, which means Roof must show more faith in his corners or Auburn will face more of the same attack in 2011.

As a defensive coordinator, Gene Chizik had a philosophy of keeping everything in front, making the opposing offense work for everything they get. This was a successful philosophy then but times have changed, forcing defenses to become more aggressive in order to disrupt the offensive timing. Auburn had a difficult time getting off the field with the opponent nickel and dimming the Tiger defense. During the 2010 season, the opponent scored on 33.3 percent of their possessions including a TD percentage of 25 percent. Of the 165 possessions defended by the Auburn offense, 84 of them started off with a play of 3-yards or less. In those 84 possessions, the opponent had a scoring percentage of 27.3 percent and a TD percentage of 20.2 percent.

Increased success early on by the Auburn defense would obviously make a major difference based on the data above. With 3-yards or less gained on the first play of a possession, the opponent scores 27 percent of the time and 39 percent with more than 3-yards gained on the first play of a drive. The need is there for a more aggressive defense and Auburn’s coaches certainly desire to be more aggressive. The million-dollar question is if the personnel are present to become more aggressive in 2011 or will the youth factor make Coach Roof gun-shy in year three?

I don't think Roof has the luxury of being gun-shy this year, Stat. Perhaps I'm giving too much credit, but I think Rose will be able to come in and start. Bell seemed solid at the end of last year, I hope he can come along. I think Neik will excel at safety. If we shore up the other safety position, the secondary will easily be more talented than we've seen in the last two years.

Bates scares me as a full-time starter. If Freeman can ever shake off his mental lapses he will be a superstar. A new starter in the middle worries me also.

I think we have to be aggressive up front to mask what may be a weakness. Finally, I think the secondary will be Ok this year. Rose will make mistakes early but if he learns quickly he'll be good. I liken his situation to Milliner at Bama last year. He made mistakes at times but was solid by the end of the year.

Stat, do you really think this secondary is more talented in the persent tense than the 2009 secondary? In 2009, we had Walt, Demond, Neik, and (late in the year) T'Sharvan at CB. Add in Bates' solid work as a youngster and Zac (for most of the year), and I believe that was the group most likely to succeed in a given year. Hope I'm wrong. I'm just of the opinion that reps matter a lot in the back four. Freshmen can play the spot, but they generally look foolish fairly often. Great example: Florida when Joe Haden was a freshman... he made spectacular plays but also looked lost for 40% of his snaps.

Duder, it's possible that Eltoro is going to be the new starter in the middle. I'm not sure if that worries me more or less, but I've heard he and Jake Holland are taking the bulk of the reps in the middle.

Stat, do you really think this secondary is more talented in the persent tense than the 2009 secondary?

No doubt. Do you think I would have stated it and not believed it? If you don't agree that's fine.

In 2009, we had Walt, Demond, Neik, and (late in the year) T'Sharvan at CB. Add in Bates' solid work as a youngster and Zac (for most of the year), and I believe that was the group most likely to succeed in a given year.

I will give you McFadden from 2009 but the rest at best was shaky at that given time. Demond Washington played more at safety and was still getting his feet wet in the secondary. I love Washington's speed but struggled when it came time to being physical with the receivers, which is why the opponent toasted us on short passes in 2010. Neiko Thorpe is more suited at safety than corner, which is why he was moved. He got burned deep way too often and I think he will make more plays in 2011 as a safety than he ever did at corner. Clearly, Bell is a better corner in 2011 than 2009 as a true freshman. Roof is extremely high on him this year to be our star corner. He played more nickel in 2009. Bates was moved to LB because he was solid against the run and got lost in the secondary. Chris Davis has a year under his belt and Roof was higher on Mincy than Davis but he needed to get his head out of his but. Erique Florence just might be the best safety AU has recruited in a very long time. Demetruce McNeal came on strong late in 2010 as a true freshman. In terms of the entire secondaries recruiting rankings, the 2011 secondary is indeed more talented than the 2009 group. Do they lack experience? Sure they do but the secondary is one area a true freshman can come in and make an impact or pure talent. Going into 2009, Bell, Bates and Washington had no experience at Auburn and Thorpe had 11 games under his belt.

Hope I'm wrong. I'm just of the opinion that reps matter a lot in the back four. Freshmen can play the spot, but they generally look foolish fairly often. Great example: Florida when Joe Haden was a freshman... he made spectacular plays but also looked lost for 40% of his snaps.

As seniors, even Walter McFadden got burned. Etheridge as a senior was great in run support but was average in coverage.

Duder, it's possible that Eltoro is going to be the new starter in the middle. I'm not sure if that worries me more or less, but I've heard he and Jake Holland are taking the bulk of the reps in the middle.

I hope you're right. I just think there are a LOT of ifs in a statement like that. Demetruce McNeal has played about 30 significant minutes at Safety. T'Sharvan Bell has one year as a part-time starter and has clear flaws (e.g. he's one of the least physical corners to start at Auburn in the last decade). Note: I'm high on Bell. I think he can be a stud, but he's still unproven. Chris Davis has never been a starter at CB. We're also razor thin at Safety. I agree about Neik. I think he'll be great as a Safety.

I dunno. That's just a lot of ifs for my taste. In 2009, we had two proven commodities: Walt and Zac. Our second CB had more experience than either of our projected starters going into this season. I absolutely hope you're correct. I hope these guys are game-changers. Personally, I just don't see the advantages this group has over the 2009 group.

Archived