Dodd's Take

PigskinPat

I don't know what to think at this point. This article makes me feel better, though.

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/25799966

There are now at least three people on the record saying they have knowledge of Cecil Newton soliciting money for his son Cameron to attend Mississippi State.

There is a lot of stuff out there right now about Newton being ineligible at the moment at Auburn. Not entirely true, according to information received Friday from the NCAA.

My question to the NCAA: If a person related to a prospective student-athlete solicits money for that student-athlete at a certain school then that student-athlete is ineligible. Is that true no matter where he signs?

This e-mail came back from NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn: Generally speaking, eligibility issues are tied to the student-athlete, not the school. So if a student-athlete is ineligible at one school and then transfers to a second school, the school the student-athlete transferred to would need to seek reinstatement.

I then reiterated my question saying a "prospective" student-athlete -- in other words a recruit -- not a "transfer".

Osburn came back with: Correct.

USA Today got much the same response when it asked a similar question of Osburn.

In Friday's editions the paper stated, "Even if Newton received no money to attend Auburn, soliciting money can be an NCAA violation jeopardizing Newton's eligibility."

To me, all this means that Cam Newton isn't a slam dunk to be found ineligible at Auburn as some seem to think at this point. It doesn't look good, I'll give you that, but consider the Albert Means case. The former five-star Memphis prospect was being shopped around by his high school coach Lynn Lang. Means committed to Alabama, but ended up playing at Memphis. I suspect the fact that it was his coach and not a family member, that was a mitigating circumstance.

In this case ...

1) First, it has to be proven that Newton's father was asking for money at Mississippi State. We're not there yet but as mentioned, at least three folks say he did.

2) Second, it has be determined whether Cecil Newton asked anyone at Auburn for money. If he did, whether Cameron knew or not, that pretty much seals the deal.

3) If Cecil Newton didn't ask Auburn, then we're back to Osburn's "generally speaking" response that the eligibility issues would be tied to the student-athlete. In other words, Newton could be ineligible at Auburn but it is not certain.

Here is the NCAA bylaw (10.1 unethical conduct) that seems to govern this situation ...

Unethical conduct by a prospective or enrolled student-athlete or a current or former institutional staff member

(e.g., coach, professor, tutor, teaching assistant, student manager, student trainer) may include, but is not limited

to, the following:

(a) Refusal to furnish information relevant to an investigation of a possible violation of an NCAA regulation

when requested to do so by the NCAA or the individual’s institution;

(B) Knowing involvement in arranging for fraudulent academic credit or false transcripts for a prospective or an

enrolled student-athlete;

© Knowing involvement in offering or providing a prospective or an enrolled student-athlete an improper inducement

or extra benefit or improper financial aid; (Revised: 1/9/96)

(d) Knowingly furnishing or knowingly influencing others to furnish the NCAA or the individual’s institution false or misleading information ...

Violations of 10.1 are enforced as follows:

10.4 Disciplinary Action

Prospective or enrolled student-athletes found in violation of the provisions of this regulation shall be ineligible

for further intercollegiate competition, subject to appeal to the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for

restoration of eligibility.

Obviously, Auburn is comfortable enough to put the quarterback on the field. Auburn coach Gene Chizik said this week that Newton will start against Georgia.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh.......thanks dude. WDE! BEAT THE DAWGS!!!

And the NCAA knew about this in Jan/July right? and um Cam started the season right? regardless of the fact of how long it might take to look into it the NCAA wouldn't have let Cam play, period. Can we move on yet?

One small (maybe not small point). I don't see a problem if Cam's father, uncle, third cousin once removed or whatever solicited money and Cam didn't know about it. Maybe I missed it, but does the NCAA say " athlete or family member" anywhere up there? The writer does, but the NCAA rep never answered to that aspect of things.

Archived