Angry Letters!

AU!

So I was listening to the CBS College Football podcast today as they reviewed week 8 and I heard them spit out a few thing I didn't agree with. Being such a huge Auburn homer, I decided to write them a letter. There are a lot of good stats in here so I thought I might share it with you:

Okay, I can't admit to being unbiased in this argument. I went to Auburn and what I feel here is completely biased, but I might as well put it out there.

You guys must be crazy if you think Oregon's offense is better than Auburn's. Here's why:

Auburn's Offensive totals:

Rushing: 2426

Passing: 1468

Total: 3894

Oregon's Offensive totals:

Rushing: 2159

Passing: 1825

Total: 3984

Difference of 90 yards, or really, just a negligible amount.

Auburn's Opponents Allow:

Rushing: 1144

Passing: 1558

Total: 2702

Oregon's Opponents Allow:

Rushing: 1326

Passing: 1629

Total: 2955

So it seems Auburn is keeping up with Oregon against defenses that are allowing about 250 fewer yards this season. Not a huge amount, but somewhat significant when you consider some of the following.

Auburn has defeated 4 teams currently ranked in the BCS top 25.

Oregon has defeated 1.

Auburn's opponents are currently 35-25.

Not bad considering Oregon's opponents are 19-33.

So what I'm getting at is, Auburn has roughly the same amount of offensive yardage in marquee wins against teams such as: LSU, S. Carolina, Miss State, and Arkansas. They've taken on one of the nation's top passing attacks in Arkansas, one of the top defenses in LSU, a team that knocked off National Title defending Alabama, and a team that just beat perennial contender Florida in the swamp.

Oregon has done the same against Stanford... oh and Portland State.

It's also worth mentioning that Auburn has still not had a bye week either. So, I'm sorry if I sound like a big homer, but if you think Oregon's offense is better because they beat up on a bunch of cupcakes, you may want to reconsider your career.

Also, you mention later in the podcast that you're confident that Alabama will beat Auburn. Your reasoning being that you claim Ingram and Richardson are going to run all over Auburn. I couldn't disagree with you more; allow me to bring up some statistics to support my position.

Last year, heisman winner Mark Ingram averaged 118.43 yards/game. He was expected to tear a failing Auburn team to shreds on his way to New York. But after his final regular season game in 2009, he walked away with a middling 30 yards. Of course I should mention that another player played in that game. One Trent Richardson also tore Auburn's defense a new one to the tune of 51 ENTIRE YARDS!!!! ouch! Anyway, fast forward to the present season, but only to the 4th week. Auburn played host to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks and their shiny new freshman phenom Marcus Lattimore. Lattimore had previously stomped on UGA with a hobnail boot for about 182 yards and was expected to make some serious noise on the Plains as well. Unfortunately for him, we only allowed him to eke out just 33 yards. 3 more than Ingram was able to squeeze out of the 2009 defense, we must be losing our touch. Oh yeah, he was also able to pull out 93 yards from the Tide two weeks later. They obviously have a much better run defense. Speaking of run defense, if Lattimore was able to get 93 out of the Crimson Flow on the ground, how many do you think the combination of Newton, Dyer, McCalebb, and Fannin will? I'm guessing 310 rushing plus a fumble loss (Damnit! FANNIN!)

If Alabama is going to beat Auburn, it could be a home field advantage thing. It could be McElroy stepping up as a championship caliber QB for some reason, but honestly I would be surprised if Alabama beats us on the ground.

Look, you guys have a great show, but please, a little research can go a long way!

Now THAT is terrific stuff. Sports media try not to let facts get in the way however. I like the way you don't just rely on stats though. Should have thrown Bama's losing record against AU @ Tuscaloser too. Saban's record against Auburn's a nice one.

So I was listening to the CBS College Football podcast today as they reviewed week 8 and I heard them spit out a few thing I didn't agree with. Being such a huge Auburn homer, I decided to write them a letter. There are a lot of good stats in here so I thought I might share it with you:

Okay, I can't admit to being unbiased in this argument. I went to Auburn and what I feel here is completely biased, but I might as well put it out there.

You guys must be crazy if you think Oregon's offense is better than Auburn's. Here's why:

So it seems Auburn is keeping up with Oregon against defenses that are allowing about 250 fewer yards this season. Not a huge amount, but somewhat significant when you consider some of the following.

Oregon has defeated 1.

So what I'm getting at is, Auburn has roughly the same amount of offensive yardage in marquee wins against teams such as: LSU, S. Carolina, Miss State, and Arkansas. They've taken on one of the nation's top passing attacks in Arkansas, one of the top defenses in LSU, a team that knocked off National Title defending Alabama, and a team that just beat perennial contender Florida in the swamp.

It's also worth mentioning that Auburn has still not had a bye week either. So, I'm sorry if I sound like a big homer, but if you think Oregon's offense is better because they beat up on a bunch of cupcakes, you may want to reconsider your career.

Also, you mention later in the podcast that you're confident that Alabama will beat Auburn. Your reasoning being that you claim Ingram and Richardson are going to run all over Auburn. I couldn't disagree with you more; allow me to bring up some statistics to support my position.

Last year, heisman winner Mark Ingram averaged 118.43 yards/game. He was expected to tear a failing Auburn team to shreds on his way to New York. But after his final regular season game in 2009, he walked away with a middling 30 yards. Of course I should mention that another player played in that game. One Trent Richardson also tore Auburn's defense a new one to the tune of 51 ENTIRE YARDS!!!! ouch! Anyway, fast forward to the present season, but only to the 4th week. Auburn played host to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks and their shiny new freshman phenom Marcus Lattimore. Lattimore had previously stomped on UGA with a hobnail boot for about 182 yards and was expected to make some serious noise on the Plains as well. Unfortunately for him, we only allowed him to eke out just 33 yards. 3 more than Ingram was able to squeeze out of the 2009 defense, we must be losing our touch. Oh yeah, he was also able to pull out 93 yards from the Tide two weeks later. They obviously have a much better run defense. Speaking of run defense, if Lattimore was able to get 93 out of the Crimson Flow on the ground, how many do you think the combination of Newton, Dyer, McCalebb, and Fannin will? I'm guessing 310 rushing plus a fumble loss (Damnit! FANNIN!)

If Alabama is going to beat Auburn, it could be a home field advantage thing. It could be McElroy stepping up as a championship caliber QB for some reason, but honestly I would be surprised if Alabama beats us on the ground.

Look, you guys have a great show, but please, a little research can go a long way!

Very well put...

I posted this on another thread but I guess I could post it here:

If an SEC team like Auburn, Alabama or LSU played this schedule they would be laughed at:

New Mexico W

Tennessee W

Portland State W

Arizona State W

Stanford W

Washington State W

UCLA W

No this is not Boise's list of wins, not TCU's win's either. NOT EVEN Utah's. Nope it's Oregon's. Only 1 of those teams (Stanford) even has a record above .500 right now. So why all the love for Oregon? cuz they are scoring a ton of points? uhh ok. Auburn could score a ton of points against those teams too. Hell most of the SEC could!

New Mexico is 0-7

Tennessee is 2-5

Portland State is 2-5

Arizona State is 3-4

Stanford is 6-1

Washington State is 1-6

UCLA is 3-4

So all those ESPN "Experts" that are saying Boise State only has 1 maybe 2 victories to hang their hat on... Then you should be saying the same thing about Oregon... Hell they only have 1 victory to hang their hat on.

And to those ESPN "Experts" that say Auburn is not deserving of Number 1... You need to check your s*** again and do some homework.

My work is done.

But we've played one more game then them - so.....the fact that we still have fewer yards doesnt really help your argument.

Better to use yards per game than total yards.

Oregon: 569 ypg

Auburn: 487 ypg

Plus an overtime game that gave us a few extra odd yards.

Oregon has defeated 1.

Man if they give you a reply and post it, you GOTTA post a link! I want to see what crap they throw at you after hitting them with this well laid out argument. Very well said!!!

Oregon has defeated 1.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Very nice

Here are the two most telling comparisons:

Oregon has defeated 1.

Archived