That Je ne sais quoi.

AU!

Have you ever been watching a close game, a real nail biter where you actually catch yourself biting your nails and you stop, temporarily being rushed back into reality and think, "Wait a second, we're still winning this game." You know the type, where even though your team is up on the scoreboard, you've lost the momentum and you have this nagging feeling that the game is actually in the other team's hands. Like last year during the Iron Bowl, I don't know if any of you felt it, but I had this instinct that Auburn wasn't going to win the game, even though we already were up.

I've found that watching this team this year, I've had what must be the opposite of that feeling. For both Clemson and S. Carolina and even to some extent, Miss State, I've felt at half time, that even though we weren't always winning on the scoreboard, that we had shown something, who knows what, but SOMEthing that convinced me that we not just could win, but that we would win. Thankfully, I've been right each time. But I think there's something more to what I've been feeling for the past few weeks.

Auburn has shown patience as a team. Even when we go down by 2+ scores, we're not making those really terrible mistakes that are the signature of a team that is falling apart. I know it sounds a little odd, but it's almost as if they planned on being behind before the game ever started.

I wish there were some crazy awesome statistics I could show you or something of that nature, but its just a gut feeling, a true emotion that this team is better than what the scores have been telling us. That there's more to these players and coaches than the statistics can show.

Am I the only one that wasn't nervous at halftime the past two weeks? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Am I the only one that wasn't nervous at halftime the past two weeks? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Good post :au: Regarding the question at the end, at half-time of the Clemson game, I was more than nervous. "Pacing the living room" may be a more apt description. At that point, the offense had come out so flat that I thought the deficit would be too high even with the defense stepping up.

In the South Carolina game, though, offense and defense were playing well in the first half (not great, but "well") and I couldn't help but feel that the team would definitely pull it together and win. Wasn't a doubt in my mind, honestly. I guess the Clemson game was more pivotal than I originally thought, because it without question showed that my beloved Tigers could overcome practically any obstacle. The team gained confidence, and so did I.

Not that I don't expect (and accept) some losses along the way, but already the team is playing like a solid team. Maybe that's the intangible "something" you're describing?

Or it could be Cam's all-the-time grin. Hard to feel nervous when the QB is obviously enjoying himself so much :)

I was nervous as could be at halftime during the Clemson game. But, for whatever reason last week I, like you, just had a feeling this one was ours. I can't explain it, but perhaps Malcolm Gladwell can. It's like we're channeling his book "Blink." The idea that we know something subconsciously before our conscious minds understand it, and that unknown knowledge changes our thought process without us realizing it. Perhaps Mr. Gladwell was on to something...

not this year, IMO Malzahn loves wearing down opposing defenses and cutting loose in the 4th quarter. Not sure if "stats" reflect that or not, just noticing what seems to be better focus, speed, urgency & execution of the O in the 4th thus far.

Now pulling out my hair over lack of defensive coaching, that's another story...

I had that feeling last year at halftime of the Arkansas game. We'd kicked them all over the field and I didn't see how we'd lose. We lost.

Just sayin' though usually reliable, sometimes that feeling is not accurate.

I was at work Saturday night and could only get scores from other people who had internet service with their phones. I got scores just before halftime, then the third quarter and the final score. I was a bit concerned, but couldn't let it bother me too much as I had a full plate at work that night. The Clemson game was different story and caught me by surprise. I was trying to remember, after the game, the last Auburn team that had the gumption to come back from behind and win games??? Anybody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmxpftPFXZg

Have you ever been watching a close game, a real nail biter where you actually catch yourself biting your nails and you stop, temporarily being rushed back into reality and think, "Wait a second, we're still winning this game." You know the type, where even though your team is up on the scoreboard, you've lost the momentum and you have this nagging feeling that the game is actually in the other team's hands. Like last year during the Iron Bowl, I don't know if any of you felt it, but I had this instinct that Auburn wasn't going to win the game, even though we already were up.

I've found that watching this team this year, I've had what must be the opposite of that feeling. For both Clemson and S. Carolina and even to some extent, Miss State, I've felt at half time, that even though we weren't always winning on the scoreboard, that we had shown something, who knows what, but SOMEthing that convinced me that we not just could win, but that we would win. Thankfully, I've been right each time. But I think there's something more to what I've been feeling for the past few weeks.

Auburn has shown patience as a team. Even when we go down by 2+ scores, we're not making those really terrible mistakes that are the signature of a team that is falling apart. I know it sounds a little odd, but it's almost as if they planned on being behind before the game ever started.

I wish there were some crazy awesome statistics I could show you or something of that nature, but its just a gut feeling, a true emotion that this team is better than what the scores have been telling us. That there's more to these players and coaches than the statistics can show.

I was never nervous during any of the games to be honest.....anyone that has chatted with me throughout the games can tell you that I've been in high spirits throughout!

I sure wish I had you confidence. There were just so many pivotal points during the games that made all the difference. If they had gone the other way it would have been tragic.

That's why it's not 100 yards that matter... it's the INCHES that matter.

..... I was trying to remember, after the game, the last Auburn team that had the gumption to come back from behind and win games??? Anybody?

There are a bunch. 2006 LSU or Florida ring a bell? 2004 LSU or UAT? 2005 Georgia? That should be enough for starters, unless you want to talk 17-16 or the great Pat Sullivan-led drive in Knoxville to win 10-9 in 1971. Or maybe Florida 1993 or Reggie Slack's 40 yard TD pass to Shayne Wasden on fourth and ten with a few seconds left to beat Florida 10-7 in 1989.

I have had my share of disgust and frustration on the "soft" pass defense that we have been playing. Plus, the 3 and outs early made me think "here we go again". But, after the State and Clemson game, I honesty had no concerns that we would "go quietly into the night". I just knew that we weren't done for the night, and was confident that we would make it a game in the second half, win or lose.

..... I was trying to remember, after the game, the last Auburn team that had the gumption to come back from behind and win games??? Anybody?

There are a bunch. 2006 LSU or Florida ring a bell? 2004 LSU or UAT? 2005 Georgia? That should be enough for starters, unless you want to talk 17-16 or the great Pat Sullivan-led drive in Knoxville to win 10-9 in 1971. Or maybe Florida 1993 or Reggie Slack's 40 yard TD pass to Shayne Wasden on fourth and ten with a few seconds left to beat Florida 10-7 in 1989.

Also, we trailed Bama 14-5 at the half at home in 1993. Outscored them 17-0 the rest of the way. :cheer:

That would make a good thread in itself. Auburn's greatest comeback ever?

I'm going with LSU 1994 because I was there.

Having 20+ seniors on the roster (nearly all of whom play important roles) can have that effect. And they're hungry.

Plus, regardless of your opinion regarding CTT's dismissal (I still hate it for him), you can't deny that the injection of new blood and energy (a la '93) CGC & Co. have provided has given the program (at least for the short term) a major shot in the arm.

I'd say October is the most important month for this program in some time - the chance to go from 4-0 to 9-0 (and there's absolutely no reason we can't). We've had a (very) good start to the season; now it's time to go "from good to great."

:au:

After the Clemson game, Bramblett stated that 17 pt comeback tied the largest ever comeback for an Auburn team. At first I was suprised at the number being so low, you would think with all the games Auburn has ever played there would have been at least a 21 pt comeback win.

I was at work Saturday night and could only get scores from other people who had internet service with their phones. I got scores just before halftime, then the third quarter and the final score. I was a bit concerned, but couldn't let it bother me too much as I had a full plate at work that night. The Clemson game was different story and caught me by surprise. I was trying to remember, after the game, the last Auburn team that had the gumption to come back from behind and win games??? Anybody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmxpftPFXZg

My brother and I both thought about Syracuse in 2002--down 17-3 after the half and came back to win on OT. I knew that team was special just like this one, i.e. Campbell and Cadlillac.

I just thought about this very thing yesterday while reading on another board. I don't think by any means that we've been down on the scoreboard for our last time this season..... I just think this team has what it takes to WIN THEM ALL!!!!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE! BEAT LA. MONROE!!!!!!!!!!! :AUBig:

That would make a good thread in itself. Auburn's greatest comeback ever?

I'm going with LSU 1994 because I was there.

The 1994 LSU game is without a doubt the most improbable comeback, due to all the interception returns. That won't likely be done again, by any team.

I'd rate the 17-16 win, coming from 0-16 in the fourth quarter over UAT as Auburn's greatest, simply because the opponent was undefeated and ranked #2 nationally, supposed to be heading for a shootout for a NC and we blasted that idea out of the water.

dyehardaufan

Posted Today, 08:39 AM

After the Clemson game, Bramblett stated that 17 pt comeback tied the largest ever comeback for an Auburn team. At first I was suprised at the number being so low, you would think with all the games Auburn has ever played there would have been at least a 21 pt comeback win.

I thought he applied a "since (some date)" to that. I believe we were behind more than 17 points in the '94 LSU game, and unless my memory fails there were two or three times in the early 60's when we trailed Tennessee by 20 or more and came back to win. Maybe three years straight? It was a remarkable run against Tennessee, and was much talked about at the time.

The '94 LSU game was a great comeback; but also the single worse coaching job (by Curly Hallman) in the history of college football. When LSU had the ball before the 4th interception, I turned to Teresa and said; 'well, they won't be stupid enought to throw it again'....Wow, was I ever wrong...

The 1972 comeback was a case of a great team wanting it and doing anything it took to win a game. They should have been behind by 30 points in the 4th quarter against Alabama...but they had hung on and gotten themselves into a position where winning was possible...and then the coach did something unpopular but necessary (booing was heard from the stands) and kicked the field goal to cut it to 2 scores and then some athletes stepped up and did the improbable ...

I said in another post; I don't think I've seen any Auburn team improve this much in 3 games. Coaches included....this reminds me of the '82 team...but more talented...they are hungry and they believe things are getting better...I think they believe they can win....I've been one of Roof's worse critics; but given the level of improvement from the 1st game; I have to give him some credit. He and Malzahn made great adjustments against SC (Malzahn didn't do them against Clemson faced with the same situation).

I still think we will do very well if we win 8 games...competition is very stiff....but I see an attitude that I like and I think the championships will come in a couple more years.

I still think we will do very well if we win 8 games...competition is very stiff....but I see an attitude that I like and I think the championships will come in a couple more years.

I don't know if "stiff" is the word I'd use--Think I'd say the competition is "unpredictable"

Overall, I think the SEC is down this year. Traditional national powers UT and UGA are nearly out. I don't know how I'd rank Auburn, Arkansas, LSU or S. Carolina right now: none look dominating like the days when the SEC would have 3-4 teams in the national hunt, but that could change. Saturday will tell us a lot about Bama & Fla: Is Bama as strong as some think, or just the benefactor of weak opponents? Will they take charge and show they really are ready for all comers? Can Florida gel into the sort of team one would expect from years of great recruiting by Meyers?

The SEC may not have multiple national contenders as in past years, but it's an unpredictable minefield fraught with dangers this year where 6-7 teams have a shot at Atlanta. Heck, even Vandy & Kentucky could ruin someone's season.

The '94 LSU game was a great comeback; but also the single worse coaching job (by Curly Hallman) in the history of college football. When LSU had the ball before the 4th interception, I turned to Teresa and said; 'well, they won't be stupid enought to throw it again'....Wow, was I ever wrong...

The 1972 comeback was a case of a great team wanting it and doing anything it took to win a game. They should have been behind by 30 points in the 4th quarter against Alabama...but they had hung on and gotten themselves into a position where winning was possible...and then the coach did something unpopular but necessary (booing was heard from the stands) and kicked the field goal to cut it to 2 scores and then some athletes stepped up and did the improbable ...

Guess we could say the '94 game was the greatest comeback ever given to us, the '72 Ironbowl was the greatest comeback we earned ourselves

... I think the championships will come in a couple more years.

I'm a little worried about next year: We lose a lot of seniors and we have to hit the road in the SEC schedule like all odd-numbered years.

2012, however: This year's freshmen will be juniors, hopefully backed up by two more great recruiting classes, and we're back in Jordan-Hare for the meat of the SEC. ;)

Guess we could say the '94 game was the greatest comeback ever given to us, the '72 Ironbowl was the greatest comeback we earned ourselves

... I think the championships will come in a couple more years.

I'm a little worried about next year: We lose a lot of seniors and we have to hit the road in the SEC schedule like all odd-numbered years.

2012, however: This year's freshmen will be juniors, hopefully backed up by two more great recruiting classes, and we're back in Jordan-Hare for the meat of the SEC. ;)

But with no Cam.

AUBURN....You gotta' BELIEVE!. :cheer:

I sense something special about this TEAM. How special?....Time will tell.

Just as in '93 and 2004....I would go with this team anywhere and BELIEVE we had a better than average chance to win. "Gut" feeling is a good description.....for me anyway....Again, time will tell..... :au::cheer:

Archived