Say goodbye to Haley Center

RunInRed

Maybe it was once good, or I just got bad professors. But I didn't learn a damn thing when I was in Haley, except how to navigate a horribly constructed building.

Sorry you didn't learn anything in Haley. It must be the building's fault.

Majority of males in this country think this way, so no surprise there. Why they lead the way in skipping the professionals, use drug/alcohol to self-medicate, then pull the trigger on their own life. About every 1-100.

Sounds like those males are problem solvers.

I will use mine with my other degree to fight the obesity issue. While the engineering would be genius and fascinating I would prefer the world didn't look like the road scene from the movie Wall-E. 400lb people floating around on scooters talking to a screen. It's bad enough in stores like Wal-Mart as it is now.

Eat less, exercise more. The problem is solved for those who aren't lazy/stupid.

If you don't consider the effects on loved ones problem solved then sure. Though due to the personality of some it might be problem solved for all... like Hitler or Kim Jong. So I like it.

You really going to try and tell me that everyone in the math and science dept. are low fat% high VO2ers? Well they might be actually since most of them are not from the United States.

I wouldn't say everyone in the math/science departments are smart or not lazy.

And apparently females have far more reported suicide attempts than males. I guess those women think the same way I do about psychologists, so its not just a gender thing.

I wouldn't say everyone in the math/science departments are smart or not lazy.

And apparently females have far more reported suicide attempts than males. I guess those women think the same way I do about psychologists, so its not just a gender thing.

Use lesser means that can fail, and there is viable research that indicates they fail on purpose for the attention.

When men do it they end it thus the higher success rate (they like to use more violent means).

And yes, men are less likely to see a psychologist, just like they are less likely to see any kind of doctor so that part is a gender thing and worldwide.

Regardless of what you think of it psychotherapy does work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about Haley but Parker definitely needs to go. It sticks out like a sore thumb on that side of campus now.

It was a mediocre facility 20 years ago and hadn't aged gracefully the last time I saw it. I always felt like I was entering a dungeon going to the downstairs classrooms. If it got razed, I'd shed no tears, and I probably took more classes there than in any other building.

I would be very excited to see Haley get taken down. Ugly building, both inside and out, poorly designed, and it is showing definite signs of aging. They have a staircase closed off because concrete was falling down onto students below.

Same deal with Parker. Those are the two worst, and I wouldn't mind seeing them outta here =)

The talk of " it's just not cost effective to update " sounds to me like someone just wants to milk the cash cow.

I bet the guys at Extreme Makeover - Home Edition could do a hell of a job in a fraction of the time , with out all those costly ( and completely pointless ) studies.

Someone write up a heart tug story, and send it to the show producers!

• 8 months later...

This project is moving forward...

Auburn Trustees vote to replace Haley Center

The Board of Trustees has approved the initiation of a project to construct a new central classroom facility to replace Haley Center, Parker, Funchess, Upchurch and Spidle Halls, the first step in the revitalization or replacement of older facilities in the core of campus.

The proposed central facility would replace outdated, existing classroom space that lacks state-of-the-art technology with roughly 77,000 square feet of modern and fexible space for classrooms, about the same amount of space provided by Haley Center.

The board also approved the initiation of the next step of the project, which will be the selection of an architect and construction manager.

The project has been given top priority in the revitalization effort, although a site for the proposed facility in the core of campus has not been determined.

http://www.auburnvillager.com/story_1308757366019707_20110623-Auburn-Trustees-vote--to-replace-Haley-Center.html

Well, there it is. I wish I could say that I'm a little misty-eyed about the demise of Haley and Parker, but I'm not.

I think my most vivid memory of the Haley Center is when my world history class got cancelled one morning because a squirrel got into a transformer box and fried itself, knocking out the power for a few hours.

Now Langdon Hall, that I would miss...saw many a free movie there, including a cartoon fest at midnight on one occasion.

• 1 month later...

Two thumbs down on this. I appreciate the effort to stay modern, but how modern do intro level liberal arts/core courses need to be? I'm tired of the reasoning that it would cost as much or more to renovate, because that's a load of bull. We're talking about the tallest building in Lee County, and probably the 2nd or 3rd largest building in east Alabama outside of EAMC and maybe Russell Hospital. Deconstruction alone will be a large cost, and I'm guessing those numbers are never in the budgets that sell these things. How about showing some fiscal responsibility and going with the option that costs a 1/3 less with the same outcome, especially given the current economic situation?

Agree. What kind of modern technology do you really need to teach liberal arts? The building still holds classrooms and allows for the classes to be safely taught. Why do we need to tear down old buildings that are still functional. Do ivy league schools tear down their buildings and create new one every 30 - 40 years?

Despite the great memories some of you have...Haley's an ugly building. Part of the brutalist architecture trend from the 50s through the early 70s that resulted in blocky, nondescript, utilitarian piles of concrete that have no reference to the rest of the campus.

I mean, if they want to spend $20 million to gut, retro-fit and update the building instead of $30 million to tear it down and put something better in its place, I can't argue with the raw dollar argument. But in terms of campus beautification, it would be nice if Haley and these other architectural mishaps had a more classic architecture look to it that fit in better with their surroundings.

Really? Because it is ugly?

Do ivy league schools tear down their buildings and create new one every 30 - 40 years?

Ivy League schools probably don't have buildings as butt-ugly as the Haley Center...

Do ivy league schools tear down their buildings and create new one every 30 - 40 years?

Ivy League schools probably don't have buildings as butt-ugly as the Haley Center...

They have worse looking buildings. Matter hall, a dorm at Harvard

450px-MatherHouse.jpg

Huntsman hall at Penn. They call it the Silo.

huntsman.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had a TON of classes at Haley Center. It is a piece of junk and was in 2000. It is hard to navigate, and moldy and needs to GO! Trust me, Auburn University can afford it. It is a little sad, b/c I did a LOT of "future Mrs." watching in that building! The only good thing I cant think about Haley now is the fact that it has a lot of restrooms for gamedays!

Ok, gotta go kill myself now b/c I have a psych degree! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly... tuition which is often covered by government backed student loans. There's an unlimited supply of money from their perspective, so they act with reckless abandon and build whatever they want at whatever the cost. No one considers that alumni buried in student debt won't give back, or that their potential long term contributions are significantly reduced because savings are deferred for debt repayment. In other words, the potential long term net worth of an alumni is reduced five to ten fold because the money that would earn the most interest, that which they earn early in their careers, goes to a bank rather than an investment account.

Tuition is nuts. I wouldn't have given Auburn a second thought if I had to pay today's costs, and I paid (an am still paying) an arm and a leg. Its gone up by a factor of 2.5 in a short time period. There are cheaper alternatives, and I suspect Auburn is losing out on quality students because they're not fiscally responsible.

This is a national problem, but it just stings a bit more when your own alma matter is doing it.

Exactly... tuition which is often covered by government backed student loans. There's an unlimited supply of money from their perspective, so they act with reckless abandon and build whatever they want at whatever the cost. No one considers that alumni buried in student debt won't give back, or that their potential long term contributions are significantly reduced because savings are deferred for debt repayment. In other words, the potential long term net worth of an alumni is reduced five to ten fold because the money that would earn the most interest, that which they earn early in their careers, goes to a bank rather than an investment account.

Tuition is nuts. I wouldn't have given Auburn a second thought if I had to pay today's costs, and I paid (an am still paying) an arm and a leg. Its gone up by a factor of 2.5 in a short time period. There are cheaper alternatives, and I suspect Auburn is losing out on quality students because they're not fiscally responsible.

This is a national problem, but it just stings a bit more when your own alma matter is doing it.

It is a national problem. Anytime the federal govt pushes money at a problem the prices go up. Look what they did using medicare and medicad to the cost of Heath care...

My four English classes in high school were more enriching and challenging than the four I took at Auburn.

I understand that some of these subjects are good to dabble in for a well rounded education, but to spend four years studying sociology? Really? Its just a part of college being for everyone, solely because everyone paying tuition makes more money than not everyone paying tuition.

Do you think maybe, just maybe the four English classes at Auburn were not very enriching because OF YOU? And everyone in the world can't be a

scientist or mathematician. Or are you just not well-rounded enough to realize that?

OK. Just for fun, I'll point out a few things.

English teaches you comprehension and formulation of arguments. Teaches you to think same with Philosophy.

You can learn English down at the local church, It's called ESL.

History, learn from the worlds mistakes and know your background.

That's why we have the internet. You get many different views of it. Not just one book.

Psychology, therapy obviously has been proven useful throughout time. Cognitive, Sensing/Perception/ Neuroscience = science.

Pshhh. Pharmacists could prescribe anti-depressents. If teachers can diagnose ADDHD....

Foreign languages, used in business and travel.

DUH! ROSSETTA STONE!

Statistics... math.

All taught at Parker. No argument against Parker.

Early childhood development stuff... figured teaching children is kinda useful.

No need for a lot of technology here. Go back to Dick and Jane and all kids will be able to read again.

Motor Development... science of muscular development and diseases.

I don't think any labs for these are held at HC. So no need for technology here either.

Criminology/Anthropology/Sociology..... keeps your football team eligible. Forensic sciences in these divisions get a ton of use in today's society and I think is some cool stuff.

Finally. A valid argument!

Come on, lot of useful stuff over there it all depends on what you chose to do with it. I find alot of that more useful to the world and society then the engineer that developed a specific washer that made a dryer turn 1 second faster and take up less space. Thats what the engineer do at where my mother works anyway.

YOu are just jealous that you cannot invent a washer...... Don't be a washer hater.

The math science disciplines are very important, but so are tons of other things.

See above. Debunked!

I always find it interesting that government supported institutions have no clue how to keep up facilities. Maybe it is just the bureaucracy associated with the operations of said facilities. When we go out into the real world, we see old public schools that were not worth keeping up being inhabited by private schools for another 30 years. The school stays in business and none of the old buildings fall down and kill anyone. Yet, the government run school system declared that a new school needed to be built. Hmmmm. Is the demise of HC part of this gubment thinking?

• 2 weeks later...

They don't teach anything of value in Haley. Tear it down and put up a parking deck.

Hey, wait a minute...that's where they teach many/all of the liberal arts classes so those kids can spend 5-6 years wasting their parents' money before going on to become McDonald's fry cooks.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the great memories some of you have...Haley's an ugly building. Part of the brutalist architecture trend from the 50s through the early 70s that resulted in blocky, nondescript, utilitarian piles of concrete that have no reference to the rest of the campus.

I mean, if they want to spend $20 million to gut, retro-fit and update the building instead of $30 million to tear it down and put something better in its place, I can't argue with the raw dollar argument. But in terms of campus beautification, it would be nice if Haley and these other architectural mishaps had a more classic architecture look to it that fit in better with their surroundings.

+1

Agreed. Haley is an architectural atrocity but I do have fond memories of getting lost as a freshman and late night study sessions in empty classrooms.

The thing some folks don't get about a lot of these blocky, brutalist buildings done in the late 50s thru early 70s is that they were poorly built. It was a wave of cheap, easy to construct stuff that was built across the country during a phase where it was all about doing something on the cheap instead of doing something that would last and look beautiful doing it. And those buildings are in bad shape just about everywhere because the construction methods and materials used sucked.

Archived