Soldier charged for deserting

Ranger12

Soldier charged

This guy makes me sick! As civilians we have rights to our opinions, but when you enlist in the military, you don't have the right to pick and choose your orders or your fights. You know that going in. Soldiers don't make policy! I served under Clinton and his policies were not exactly well liked by alot of the military then, but we followed our CIC's orders. This guy is a coward and I have the feeling that is "war for oil" stance is just an act to cover up his cowardice. What the hell did he think he might wind up doing when he enlisted?! It is not like he was drafted. Guess he forgot that he volunteered and took an oath. Put this moron behind bars!

Ranger doesnt the UCMJ say Day 90+ is desertion? If so, this guy needs major prison time.

He could have done what he did in 89 days or less and have gotten discharged. He purposely stayed out over the 90 day limit. I say throw the book at him!

Ranger doesnt the UCMJ say Day 90+ is desertion? If so, this guy needs major prison time.

He could have done what he did in 89 days or less and have gotten discharged. He purposely stayed out over the 90 day limit. I say throw the book at him!

There actually is not a "time limit" for desertion. It could be only for one day. Desertion is to be absent with intent of not returning which is a little different with being AWOL, which is being absent from appointed duty, but intending to return (kind of like unexused abscense from work). Though AWOL is a serious offense also, desertion can carry the death penalty if it is during wartime. The convening authority has to decide if it as AWOL or desertion. Seeing how this guy has stated he refused to go back, then a desertion charge was easy to come by.

I say send him to Quantanamo, and throw him in with the other anti-American fascists. They can all talk about how they do not want a democracy to rise in the heart of the Middle East...

From the UCMJ:

885. ART. 85. DESERTION

(a) Any member of the armed forces who--

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another on of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States; is guilty of desertion.

( c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.

Sounds like a candidate for the firing squad to me.

I agree but I doubt if it will happen. For some reason I just don't think the DP will happen.

There would be a huge uproar if he were to receive the DP. Sgt. Mejia said he believes the war is unjust because it is about control of oil supplies and has also said he is upset over the death of civilians. He is certainly taking the democrat platform isn't he. Did Howard Dean, John Kerry or TigerAl write that statement for him?

I wonder if the dems will politicize this? I don't see how they could to benefit themselves. They might try to somehow paint legally elected President George W. Bush in an unfavorable light. But how could they use it to make themselves look better even to the nutcase antiwar, anti US, protesters?

He wanted to make a statement, now he will probably get to make his statement in Ft. Leavenworth. :rolleyes:

Fort Leavenworth may be a punishment worse than death for this coward. Let the Marines there deal with him. I doubt they will have too much sympathy for his actions.

Fort Leavenworth may be a punishment worse than death for this coward. Let the Marines there deal with him. I doubt they will have too much sympathy for his actions.

Ditto, blanket or fantail party is in order. :yes:

From the UCMJ:
885. ART. 85. DESERTION

(a) Any member of the armed forces who--

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another on of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States; is guilty of desertion.

( c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.

Yep, that pretty much describes what I posted earlier. I guy can be charged with desertion even for one day if the convening authority thinks he had no intention of returning. I stated it was punishable by the death penalty, but he will not get that. I see Leavenworth in his future, as long as the liberals don't get their way.

Archived