Happy for Ingram

BamaGrad03

C.J. Spiller's much better than Ingram

Spiller vs South Carolina:

9 Carries 18 Yards

Ingram vs South Carolina

24 Carries 246 yards

Ahem.

Forgot Spillers 90 yard kick return for a score?

Ingram 30 yards rushing against Auburn should have been the killer, but hey........."Bama's trophy case is now complete"....Chris Fowler, ESPN.

It's fortunate that Heisman voters judged Pat Sullivan by his entire season instead of his miserable performance in a beatdown by Bama, eh?

I can't wait to hear the replies on that one.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Ingram had something like 60 less carries. You give him those carries and he is right there with Gerhart in rushing yards. Ingram could have padded his stats early in the year against weaker opponents but didnt. A couple of those early games he only played 1-2 quarters and only had 10-15 carries.

Give Ingram those 60 carries, but face the better rushing defenses that Gerhart did and perhaps not so much. Also, put him behind Stanford's O-line and with Stanford's other offensive weapons and see if that holds up. Gerhart got his yards with less 4 and 5-star help around him.

Ingram's Supporting Cast:

Offensive Line:

Jones (4-star)

Boswell (4)

Vlachos (3)

Carpenter (4)

Johnson (4)

WRs/TEs:

Julio Jones (5)

Hanks (3)

Maze (3)

Peek (3)

Dial (3)

Gerhart's Supporting Cast:

Offensive Line:

Marinelli (3)

Phillips (3)

DeCastro (3)

Beeler (3)

Martin (3)

WRs/TEs

Dray (3)

Whalen (3)

Owusu (4)

FB:

Marecic (2)

So you've got a team that doesn't have nearly the talent at WR that Bama does and doesn't have a defense they can rely on that keeps the pressure off their offense. They are more dependent on the run and have a less talented offense line to do it behind. On top of that, they faced 4 Top 30 rushing defenses they year vs Alabama's 1 (Florida). Yet he still rushes for over 200 more yards and has over 100 more total yards for the year in one less game.

So now star ratings matter?

I don't understand what having a good WR on the team has to do with the running game.

I also think it's funny that people talk about Ingram's amazing supporting cast, yet coming into the season our offensive line was this huge supposed liability. Now, they're all world.

Doesn't Ingram have the most YAC yards per game in the country?

I could be wrong here but wasn't Ingram just a 3 star player coming out of high school.

I can't wait to hear the replies on that one.

History lesson: The Heisman was awarded before the regular season was complete back then. Sullivan was awarded it the week before the Bama game.

I could be wrong here but wasn't Ingram just a 3 star player coming out of high school.

Not according to Rivals. He was a 4-star.

History lesson: The Heisman was awarded before the regular season was complete back then. Sullivan was awarded it the week before the Bama game.

Yeah, but clearly he didn't deserve it if he struggled against Alabama.

Yeah, but clearly he didn't deserve it if he struggled against Alabama.

Some might say that. My decision on Gerhart vs Ingram doesn't have anything to do with the Auburn game though. I'm thinking of the entire season.

One difference though...Sullivan was going up against an undefeated and #2 ranked Alabama team with a stout defense while Ingram had his bad game against a 7-4 and unranked Auburn team that had struggled all year on defense.

Sorry BG........Toby should have won it.

But hey, just like those 6 National Titles you have......it's done and over with.

I didn't want to wade through all the bickering on the first 4 pages. So pardon me for not reading them. Just wanted to add a little perspective...

Here's how Mark stacks up to the last two heisman winning SEC running backs:

Mark Ingram

2009- 1,864 yards from scrimmage (1,542 rush, 322 rec.) 6.2 YPCarry***

Hershel Walker

1980- 1,686 yards from scrimmage (1,616 rush, 70 rec.) 5.8 YPCarry

1981- 1,975 yards from scrimmage (1,891 rush, 84 rec.) 4.9 YPCarry

1982- 1,841 yards from scrimmage (1,752 rush, 89 rec.) 5.2 YPCarry***

Bo Jackson

1985- 1,859 yards from scrimmage (1,786 rush, 73 rec.) 6.4 YPCarry***

*** Heisman Year

Ingram is in good company, imo. :ua:

Ingram is a joke compared to Bo or Hershel. As they say statistics are for losers. Why not compare Ingrams record with Gerhardt. Ingram has only performed one year. The others have perfomed over three years, and it was a different era (offenses) with Hershel and Bo.

Statistics are for losers? But let me guess, opinions from biased sources like yourself aren't? LOL

Ingram's Heisman year was very comparable to the last 2 SEC Heisman backs, and he certainly doesn't deserve the bile that's being spewed at him from your fanbase.

It's not comparable from the rushing yards per game. Based on your numbers Ingram avg was 118 ypgs compared to Herschels 153 and Bo's 148. That is a 25 to 30% difference between those two backs. In fact if you look at the yards per game rushing Ingram is the lowest running back total for a Heisman in 30 years.

This isn't against Ingram but as the Heisman has expanded it's voting base it has become more than ever a "feel good" "best story" vote. That is why it is all about sophomores winning now. Who's the newest story and then move on to the next one next year. Ingram's story was of course his father and the secondary story was Alabama never having a winner. Voters wanted to make that "right".

Heard an interesting stat on the radio: no Heisman-winning running back has ever won the award and been lower than 7th in rushing yardage overall for that season. Until this year. Mark Ingram was 12th in the NCAA in rushing yards.

I am thankful that I will never have to hear the phrase, "I can't believe Alabama has never had a Heisman trophy winner before" EVER again! That's the only good thing that came about from Saturday for me. :big:

It just kills you au folks that an Alabama player won the Heisman. :roflol:

If he was the best player in college football, then I wouldn't care as much. He won it based on who he plays for more than who he is as a player.

He's not even the best back on his team.

I'm not going to get in the middle of the whole "did he deserve it" debate. I will say this, however: I was extremely disappointed that in his acceptance speech he didn't thank Captain Anderson.

BTW He didn't deserve it.

It just kills you au folks that an Alabama player won the Heisman. :roflol:

Not me. It tickles the heck out of me what a big deal it has suddenly become to you bammies after 75 years of denial that individual awards were really important. But just look, three days after the fact crimson turds are all over an Auburn board ballyhooing it.

It tickles the heck out of me what a big deal it has suddenly become to you bammies after 75 years of denial that individual awards were really important.

I was just thinking the EXACT thing about Auburn fans and national championships.

It tickles the heck out of me what a big deal it has suddenly become to you bammies after 75 years of denial that individual awards were really important.

I was just thinking the EXACT thing about Auburn fans and national championships.

Same old problem, bammers get dangerous when they start trying to think. Last time I checked, the MNC wasn't an individual "award." And have you heard Auburn fans say they didn't want an MNC?

Same old problem, bammers get dangerous when they start trying to think. Last time I checked, the MNC wasn't an individual "award." And have you heard Auburn fans say they didn't want an MNC?

The merits of the national championship are marginalized daily on AUN.

The merits of the national championship are marginalized daily on AUN.

Oh, then a cursory search of the subject should reveal reams of such remarks. Get started on that and report back to us.

I've seen maybe one or two people in the entire history of the board marginalize national championships and it was always in the context of it being "mythical" (as opposed to settling it on the field via a playoff). Now, what has been marginalized are some of Bama's national championship claims and rightly so, because some of them are BS and some of it stems from the different approach Auburn and Alabama take to claiming national titles. Auburn only claims the 1957 AP title, but could claim a minimum of three and as many as seven if it employed a similar method as Bama and some other schools do.

But that's a far cry from Auburn fans daily saying national championships don't matter.

:lol:

Archived