Happy for Ingram

BamaGrad03

It wouldn't have mattered if Mark Ingram had 10,000 yds and 250 TD's this year, you guys would still be bashing him because of who he plays for.

Dang, you broke the code.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't want to wade through all the bickering on the first 4 pages. So pardon me for not reading them. Just wanted to add a little perspective...

Here's how Mark stacks up to the last two heisman winning SEC running backs:

Mark Ingram

2009- 1,864 yards from scrimmage (1,542 rush, 322 rec.) 6.2 YPCarry***

Hershel Walker

1980- 1,686 yards from scrimmage (1,616 rush, 70 rec.) 5.8 YPCarry

1981- 1,975 yards from scrimmage (1,891 rush, 84 rec.) 4.9 YPCarry

1982- 1,841 yards from scrimmage (1,752 rush, 89 rec.) 5.2 YPCarry***

Bo Jackson

1985- 1,859 yards from scrimmage (1,786 rush, 73 rec.) 6.4 YPCarry***

*** Heisman Year

Ingram is in good company, imo. :ua:

Ingram is a joke compared to Bo or Hershel. As they say statistics are for losers. Why not compare Ingrams record with Gerhardt. Ingram has only performed one year. The others have perfomed over three years, and it was a different era (offenses) with Hershel and Bo.

I didn't want to wade through all the bickering on the first 4 pages. So pardon me for not reading them. Just wanted to add a little perspective...

Here's how Mark stacks up to the last two heisman winning SEC running backs:

Mark Ingram

2009- 1,864 yards from scrimmage (1,542 rush, 322 rec.) 6.2 YPCarry***

Hershel Walker

1980- 1,686 yards from scrimmage (1,616 rush, 70 rec.) 5.8 YPCarry

1981- 1,975 yards from scrimmage (1,891 rush, 84 rec.) 4.9 YPCarry

1982- 1,841 yards from scrimmage (1,752 rush, 89 rec.) 5.2 YPCarry***

Bo Jackson

1985- 1,859 yards from scrimmage (1,786 rush, 73 rec.) 6.4 YPCarry***

*** Heisman Year

Ingram is in good company, imo. :ua:

Ingram is a joke compared to Bo or Hershel. As they say statistics are for losers. Why not compare Ingrams record with Gerhardt. Ingram has only performed one year. The others have perfomed over three years, and it was a different era (offenses) with Hershel and Bo.

Statistics are for losers? But let me guess, opinions from biased sources like yourself aren't? LOL

Ingram's Heisman year was very comparable to the last 2 SEC Heisman backs, and he certainly doesn't deserve the bile that's being spewed at him from your fanbase.

I guess you guys are going to taint MI heisman trophy as much as possible. Toby Gerhart got ripped off. I guess you can make an argument for Bo's heisman being tainted also. In the same year Lorenzo White of Michigan St had 2066 yds to Bo's 1786. Just saying............

you bammers seem to think it's all about who has the most yards. So why not give this years award to the RB who had the most yards. Just so you know, White didn't even finish 2nd that year.

I think you got it backwards. A lot of the au posters are saying Gerhart should have got it because he had more yards in less games. Go back and re-read this thread. I was just saying Bo wasn't the leading rusher in the nation in 85 but he still won it so Ingram doesn't have to be the leading rusher to win it. Can you understand that?

I guess you guys are going to taint MI heisman trophy as much as possible. Toby Gerhart got ripped off. I guess you can make an argument for Bo's heisman being tainted also. In the same year Lorenzo White of Michigan St had 2066 yds to Bo's 1786. Just saying............

you bammers seem to think it's all about who has the most yards. So why not give this years award to the RB who had the most yards. Just so you know, White didn't even finish 2nd that year.

I think you got it backwards. A lot of the au posters are saying Gerhart should have got it because he had more yards in less games. Go back and re-read this thread. I was just saying Bo wasn't the leading rusher in the nation in 85 but he still won it so Ingram doesn't have to be the leading rusher to win it. Can you understand that?

And Ingram had something like 60 less carries. You give him those carries and he is right there with Gerhart in rushing yards. Ingram could have padded his stats early in the year against weaker opponents but didnt. A couple of those early games he only played 1-2 quarters and only had 10-15 carries.

You could have gave Ingram 60 carries against us and he would have had 120 yards because he was only averaging 2 yards a carry. :poke:

There were a few games where Richardson outperformed Ingram, sorry if I'm not exactly impressed with Ingram. The only way Gerhart would have won the Heisman was if he had Barry Sanders like stats, which is probably never going to be matched. Ingram was the favorite because he got to play an extra game and Gerhart didn't.

This was before my time but thought I'd share:

One of Alabama's most exciting wins came when former Tide star Ray Perkins's squad beat Auburn coach Pat Dye and the seventh-ranked Tigers 25-23 in 1985. In that game, Auburn great Vincent "Bo" Jackson, playing with two broken ribs, rushed for 142 yards.

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/face/Article.jsp?id=h-1797

Congrats to the kid. He had a very good season on a very good team. He represented UA better than 90% of their fan base, so he deserves an extra star for that.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He wasn't the best player in college football this season. This award is like the BCS.....it's politics mixed with performance. Toby Gerhart should have won it. He carried his team on his shoulders.

And Ingram had something like 60 less carries. You give him those carries and he is right there with Gerhart in rushing yards. Ingram could have padded his stats early in the year against weaker opponents but didnt. A couple of those early games he only played 1-2 quarters and only had 10-15 carries.

Give Ingram those 60 carries, but face the better rushing defenses that Gerhart did and perhaps not so much. Also, put him behind Stanford's O-line and with Stanford's other offensive weapons and see if that holds up. Gerhart got his yards with less 4 and 5-star help around him.

Ingram's Supporting Cast:

Offensive Line:

Jones (4-star)

Boswell (4)

Vlachos (3)

Carpenter (4)

Johnson (4)

WRs/TEs:

Julio Jones (5)

Hanks (3)

Maze (3)

Peek (3)

Dial (3)

Gerhart's Supporting Cast:

Offensive Line:

Marinelli (3)

Phillips (3)

DeCastro (3)

Beeler (3)

Martin (3)

WRs/TEs

Dray (3)

Whalen (3)

Owusu (4)

FB:

Marecic (2)

So you've got a team that doesn't have nearly the talent at WR that Bama does and doesn't have a defense they can rely on that keeps the pressure off their offense. They are more dependent on the run and have a less talented offense line to do it behind. On top of that, they faced 4 Top 30 rushing defenses they year vs Alabama's 1 (Florida). Yet he still rushes for over 200 more yards and has over 100 more total yards for the year in one less game.

If Ingram played for Stanford and Gerhart Bama, yall would be saying Ingram deserved it.

What a maroooooon. I am certain your vote, along with little old bg, would have gone to Bo in '85....right? :moon:

Q. How long will we have to hear about the Heisman coronation of Mark Ingram?

A. Forever. Get your Got 1 shirts why they last.

If Ingram played for Stanford and Gerhart Bama, yall would be saying Ingram deserved it.

We just don't like Alabama! """BLAA BLAA BLAA"""" dont you know any new songs?

Q. How long will we have to hear about the Heisman coronation of Mark Ingram?

A. Forever. Get your Got 1 shirts why they last.

Yeah, if Auburn were more like bammer, we'd have "Got 2?" shirts already printed.

Pleasant guy, better than avg running back on a very good team. C.J. Spiller's much better than Ingram but to win the heisman the school has to promote the player as a heisman candidate. Interesting how McCoy & Tebow's "horrible" season ending games were mentioned ad nauseum by the media but every article about Ingram's 30 yds against a bad Auburn run defense was accompanied by "hip pointer" w/out mentioning Ingram left late in the game w/ his 30 yds.

Biggest heisman joke since Geno Terreta got it. Ironically in the same month Obama collects his "much deserved" Nobel.

Give Ingram those 60 carries, but face the better rushing defenses that Gerhart did and perhaps not so much. Also, put him behind Stanford's O-line and with Stanford's other offensive weapons and see if that holds up. Gerhart got his yards with less 4 and 5-star help around him.

Ingram's Supporting Cast:

Offensive Line:

Jones (4-star)

Boswell (4)

Vlachos (3)

Carpenter (4)

Johnson (4)

WRs/TEs:

Julio Jones (5)

Hanks (3)

Maze (3)

Peek (3)

Dial (3)

Gerhart's Supporting Cast:

Offensive Line:

Marinelli (3)

Phillips (3)

DeCastro (3)

Beeler (3)

Martin (3)

WRs/TEs

Dray (3)

Whalen (3)

Owusu (4)

FB:

Marecic (2)

So you've got a team that doesn't have nearly the talent at WR that Bama does and doesn't have a defense they can rely on that keeps the pressure off their offense. They are more dependent on the run and have a less talented offense line to do it behind. On top of that, they faced 4 Top 30 rushing defenses they year vs Alabama's 1 (Florida). Yet he still rushes for over 200 more yards and has over 100 more total yards for the year in one less game.

So now star ratings matter?

I don't understand what having a good WR on the team has to do with the running game.

I also think it's funny that people talk about Ingram's amazing supporting cast, yet coming into the season our offensive line was this huge supposed liability. Now, they're all world.

Doesn't Ingram have the most YAC yards per game in the country?

C.J. Spiller's much better than Ingram

Spiller vs South Carolina:

9 Carries 18 Yards

Ingram vs South Carolina

24 Carries 246 yards

Ahem.

Forgot Spillers 90 yard kick return for a score?

Ingram 30 yards rushing against Auburn should have been the killer, but hey........."Bama's trophy case is now complete"....Chris Fowler, ESPN.

Forgot Spillers 90 yard kick return for a score

He could have scored on 3 90 yard kicks and still had fewer total yards than Ingram.

Ingram 30 yards rushing against Auburn should have been the killer

I wish you people would quit acting like that was the only game he played all year. It's very short sighted.

So now star ratings matter?

As a relative measure of talent level, yeah. Then again, I don't recall saying star ratings don't matter. Certainly they aren't ALL that matters but it's one of the few criteria we have to compare with.

I don't understand what having a good WR on the team has to do with the running game.

Having good WRs and such usually indicate a pretty good passing game, which gives balance to an offense and keeps a defense from being able to sell out to stop one aspect of your game. Therefore, if a team doesn't have much in the way of a passing game, yet the RB still gets his yards, it's even more impressive because he doesn't have the benefit of a passing game to keep the defense honest and cut down on the 8 men in the box stuff.

I also think it's funny that people talk about Ingram's amazing supporting cast, yet coming into the season our offensive line was this huge supposed liability. Now, they're all world.

It was thought that the lack of experience and losing all-world tackle Andre Smith might cause them problems. But it appears they lived up to their recruiting hype.

Doesn't Ingram have the most YAC yards per game in the country?

Hard to say. I see a lot of bammers claiming it, but there doesn't appear to be an official stat compiled on that anywhere.

Forgot Spillers 90 yard kick return for a score

He could have scored on 3 90 yard kicks and still had fewer total yards than Ingram.

Ingram 30 yards rushing against Auburn should have been the killer

I wish you people would quit acting like that was the only game he played all year. It's very short sighted.

Yeah, well so are the folks who changed their minds about Colt because of the Nebraska game. That guy has a whole career to look out. Ingram has one solid season.

Folks can make their cases for about 3 of these guys in my opinion, but the fact is there was no one obvious choice. So Ingram is a very good back, but hardly blew his competition away. And the fact is that if he had the same year for the University of Georgia, he wouldn't even be in the top 5.

Here's an article that I think BG might find interesting, especially since it's one by a Bama fan.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/306816-could-toby-gerhart-start-for-alabama

It shows all of the rush defenses that both Ingram and Gerhart faced this year and averaged them out. You might be surprised at the averages.....YPC aren't very important imo but the stat that Gerhart blows Ingram away in is TD's. Gerhart has 26 TD's this year. Gerhart got a raw deal by some of the voters.

There was actually a certain sports radio show host that had a Heisman vote and said last week: "I haven't seen Gerhart play this year but I'm still going to vote for Ingram", I'm not going to put his name but just say his name starts with an F.

C.J. Spiller's much better than Ingram

Spiller vs South Carolina:

9 Carries 18 Yards

Ingram vs South Carolina

24 Carries 246 yards

Ahem.

Forgot Spillers 90 yard kick return for a score?

Ingram 30 yards rushing against Auburn should have been the killer, but hey........."Bama's trophy case is now complete"....Chris Fowler, ESPN.

It's fortunate that Heisman voters judged Pat Sullivan by his entire season instead of his miserable performance in a beatdown by Bama, eh?

Archived