reason Khairi Fortt picked PSU over UGA

WAR-MATT

link

Abandoned on UGA visit, 4-star LB picks Penn St. over Dogs

2:21 pm October 5, 2009, by Chip Towers

Georgia lost out on one of its top remaining targets Monday when Khairi Fortt, a four-star linebacker from Stamford, Conn., chose Penn State over the Bulldogs.

Fortt (6-3, 225), who also had North Carolina in his final three, was to make an announcement Monday afterno0n. But The Connecticut Post and Sports Illustrated broke the news on their websites earlier today.

That’s only half of the bad news for Georgia regarding this story. According to BlackShoeDiaries.com, a Penn State fans’ blog site, Fortt really liked the Bulldogs but was disenchanted when the UGA player hosts in charge of showing him around on his campus visit reportedly abandoned Fortt at a dorm party and left him to find his own way home. Fortt made his official visit to Athens on Sept. 12 when Georgia played South Carolina.

Fortt first told the story about the two unnamed Georgia players to ConnPost.com:

“Two guys left me. I was left at a dorm party with people I didn’t know. Once I was just walking alone in the streets. Georgia is a school in the south, in a top conference, the SEC, the weather is warm, I have a lot of family there and the academics are good. It was all how I connected with the players.”

Or in this case literally did NOT connect.

That sidebar made me think about what Georgia Tech recruiting coordinator Giff Smith told me last week regarding the importance of official visits. He said it’s his job to get the recruits to campus but it’s the players’ jobs to “close the deal” with recruits once they’re there. That drew some unfavorable commentary from some bloggers here but it certainly gets some credence after hearing this.

Apparently unsportsmanlike penalties aren’t the only thing Georgia’s players need to be coached-up on.

Thats not the reason. Fortt was going to PSU pretty much no matter what.

i believe you but it seems he genuinely liked UGA. this was his second game in Athens this year and it’s a long ways from CT to GA...

I am willing to bet there was a girl involved. As in "I was going to hang with Khairi, but then I met this girl...."

I can't say I blame the guy. The girl was a lot better looking than Khairi.

Archived