Who's Kerry?

Words from a TRUE hero. Unlike Kerry and McCain, Jeremiah didn't sell his honor to Washington in order to further himself.

al.com

Knowing that I served in the U.S. Senate with John Kerry and that, like him, I am a veteran of the Vietnam War, many people have asked me what I think of him, particularly now that he's the apparent presidential nominee of the Democratic Party.

When Kerry joined me in the Senate, I already knew about his record of defamatory remarks and behavior criticizing U.S. policy in Vietnam and the conduct of our military personnel there. I had learned in North Vietnamese prisons how much harm such statements caused.

To me, his remarks and behavior amounted to giving aid and comfort to our Vietnamese and Soviet enemies. So I was not surprised when his subsequent overall voting pattern in the Senate was consistently detrimental to our national security.

Considering his demonstrated popularity during the Democratic primaries, I earnestly hope the American people will soberly consider Kerry's qualifications for the presidency in light of his position and record on both our cultural war at home and on national security issues.

To put it bluntly, John Kerry exemplifies the very reasons that I switched to the Republican Party. Like the majority in his political party, he has proven by his words and actions that his list of priorities -- his ideas on what most needs to be done to improve this country -- are almost opposite to my own.

<snip>

Though Rome and other empires have decayed and fallen, the cultural war in the United States can and should be won by the majority of Americans -- a majority to whom Kerry and the Democrats disdainfully refer to as the "far right." They are people who believe in God and in the original concept of "one nation under God."

As a nation, we are now at the point of no return. The good guys are finally angry enough to join the fray, and I pray we are not too late.

John Kerry is not among the good guys. The Democratic Party isn't, either.

<snip>

If the U.S. had followed the Democratic Party line, the Cold War would have concluded with the U.S. having to surrender without a fight, or the U.S. would have been defeated in a nuclear war with acceptable losses to the USSR.

It was not Johnson and Carter and the Democrats; it was Nixon, Reagan, George Bush and the Republicans who led us to victory in the Cold War.

And George W. Bush and the Republican majority -- not John Kerry and the Democrats -- can lead us to victory in the war on terrorism.

If you are form the state of Alabama and do not know Mr. Denton, shame on you. I can remember as a boy watching a movie with Hal Holbrook about a man in a viet nam prison. When I asked my dad who that was, he said with pride, "thats Jeremiah Denton, he's from Alabama." I then asked if that was the same man I saw on all the signs. This is a voice from viet nam who has been there(viet nam), done that (senate), and has the t-shirt, in an honorable way.

What is honor to Flipper Kerry?

Simple he has no honor!

We fought in Vietnam with our hands tied behind our backs

But our POWs refused to crack, and won

Jeremiah Denton gave the outside world its first direct evidence of torture in North Vietnam prison camps - he blinked in Morse code the word torture during a TV interview. True to their colors, his captors tortured him before and after the interview. But for Denton, the nightmare really began long before, on July 18, 1965, when he was shot down flying a combat mission over North Vietnam. The first captured A-6 pilot of the was, he went on to become a leader of the American resistance in the Communist prison camps.

For his efforts, he was brutally tortured and suffered through four endless years in solitary confinement. It was because of his faith in God and America that he survived interrogations with closed lips, that for 7 years he never wavered from the military Code of Conduct in the face of his Communist masters. Yet this family man and now former senator doesn't recount his story for personal gain or glory. He has a deeper, more noble reason:

"The men, and later the women, of the U.S. Navy and our other military services are such an object of my admiration and friendship that I was motivated to describe a typical case of their valorous, good-hearted service to their country. They serve not for money or fame, and they deserve the deepest respect of all our citizens. In prisons of a nation with a political system almost the opposite of ours, an American learns what is good about America: The awareness of the genius of our founding fathers and of the generous grace of God, which gave birth to our indispensable national principles, had much to do with why I wrote this work."

Eventually, more than 700 Americans passed through Southeast Asia's Communist camps and prisons, living off the jungle in many cases, some confined in bamboo cages, suffering from hunger and disease. Many of these fathers and husbands died. In chilling detail, here is their story. This inspiring volume restores the original meaning of valor and cries out to be read, and read again. We have a duty to keep alive the patriotic fire that burns in every word.

John Kerry should get on his knees and beg forgiveness of the men and women still in Vietnam he betrayed.

A testiment of a true hero and a great man that served his country honorably as a serviceman and as a U.S. Senator. Kerry and his group of turncoat cowards aren't worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence with brave and honorable men like Mr. Denton.

From POW Network.com

On July 18, 1965, Denton, then 41, was leading a group of 28 aircraft from the USS Independence on an attack on enemy installations near Thanh Hoa. He was shot down into the Ma River and captured by the North Vietnamese.

During a 1966 televised interview, 10 months after his capture, millions of Americans watched as Denton, who had refused to give in to threats of torture, looked into the camera and said he would support whatever the position his government took. "I support it, and I will as long as I live," Denton had said. Denton's captors didn't take kindly to losing face. Denton would pay for his remarks with his blood. During the same interview, Denton blinked his eyes in Morse code and spelled out the word "torture." It was the first time U.S. intelligence was able to confirm suspicions that American POWs were being mistreated in Vietnam.

During his captivity, Denton stayed in prisons and prison camps nicknamed the "The Hanoi Hilton" and "The Zoo." The worst place Denton stayed was a prison named "Alcatraz." It was reserved for American captives who were considered rebels and instigators, dangerous because of their strong will and ability to influence others. In the eyes of the North Vietnamese, strong men like Denton needed to be broken.

When Denton recalls his trials in Vietnam, his eyes are often closed. For two and a half years, he spent 17 to 18 hours a day in irons. Alone, in a coffin-sized cell, he had to remain on a 47-inch-by-47-inch square during the day. It was just long enough to walk two paces. At night, he slept on a stone slab.

"Jesus was with me all the time," said Denton, who is a devout Catholic.

Once, when Denton refused to tell guards how the Americans communicated with each other, he was tortured for 10 days and nights. By the 10th night, he couldn't think anymore. He couldn’t pray anymore. Denton surrendered. Not to the guards, but to God. "It was a total surrender," he said. "If there was anymore to do, you will do it," he told God. "That instant, I felt zero pain," he said. "I felt the greatest comfort and reassurance in life that I haven’t felt since."

When Denton talks to groups around the country, he tells them that patriotism can motivate men to perform for their country, but only prayer can provide the strength for the kind of performance required in prison camps.

Denton also found strength in his fellow captives. The Americans were forbidden to communicate with each other. But that didn’t stop them. They communicated in Morse code and other number-based codes they devised and transmitted through blinks, coughs, sneezes, taps on the wall and even sweeps of a broom.

Archived