After all the Insults thrown at Auburn for 2004 Rings...

Bama does have shared national title's along with a lot of other teams but notice that Auburn is not one of those other teams.

soup051216_served.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So does Alabama not get to claim shared national championships. I think we can find plenty of examples of those.

Bama does have shared national title's along with a lot of other teams but notice that Auburn is not one of those other teams.

oh-snap-chart-.jpg

I come down in the middle on this: 1) non-representative divisional co-champs = no ring... or else you end up looking like Ole Miss hanging the "SEC West Champion 2003" when LSU went out and won a national title, 2) divisional championships = acceptable but weak reason for a ring, 3) conference co-championships = ring... that's for the Big/Pac 10 and the old SEC, 4) split national titles = ring... obviously, 5) conference championships = ring, 6) national title = ring and parade.

I would place bullsh!t BCS screw jobs right around the 2.5 area. Why? Because unlike a conference, we didn't have the chance to play in a game based purely on popularity (and incorrect assessments of talent... look back at those rosters and tell me Auburn wasn't the most loaded of the three). PLUS, you have to be undefeated to even try it or else you could've just played better and taken the popularity contest out of the equation. Ruling: you can do it. You just have to know that others are going to object.

I don't really see a problem with what Alabama did. Winning the West and making rings isn't really a terrible idea, imo.

Alabama fans mocked your 2004 rings because of the National Title part, not because of winning the West/SEC.

For what it's worth, I have never claimed a "People's National Championship" for 2004. For that matter, I think ANY internet poll is meaningless and rather silly, since all they measure is who has a computer and motivation to respond on line. I do say USC's title from 2004 is not be "undisputed" since the best two teams of 2004 never met on the field. As a general rule, however, I'm willing to acknowledge the BCS title as being as close to a legitimate national championship as we're able to get these days with no playoff.

But for the record, Auburn's rings from 2004 do not say "National Champions", they say "Championship Season", and it truly was an undisputed Conference Championship season.

I am not debating whether it was right or wrong

I was just telling him that this instance and Auburn's are not the same thing and when Alabama fans mocked AU, it was for the National Title implication (in their eyes)

I never heard an Alabama fan mocking Auburn for making rings on winning the West or anything

I come down in the middle on this: 1) non-representative divisional co-champs = no ring... or else you end up looking like Ole Miss hanging the "SEC West Champion 2003" when LSU went out and won a national title, 2) divisional championships = acceptable but weak reason for a ring, 3) conference co-championships = ring... that's for the Big/Pac 10 and the old SEC, 4) split national titles = ring... obviously, 5) conference championships = ring, 6) national title = ring and parade.

I would place bullsh!t BCS screw jobs right around the 2.5 area. Why? Because unlike a conference, we didn't have the chance to play in a game based purely on popularity (and incorrect assessments of talent... look back at those rosters and tell me Auburn wasn't the most loaded of the three). PLUS, you have to be undefeated to even try it or else you could've just played better and taken the popularity contest out of the equation. Ruling: you can do it. You just have to know that others are going to object.

Yeah but at least you won the SEC outright in 04. So at a minimum there should be a ring situation for that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't even try that crap. We made fun of you when you passed out West rings and didn't even go to Atlanta.

Bama didn't SHARE the West with anybody.

Ah, so I see... and non-shared West Championship is ring worthy but not a shared. Glad you cleared that up.

Read what you wrote out loud and then consider a deletion. :puke:

I think it's silly to pass out "SEC West Champion" rings when your team stays and home and watches the "SEC CHAMPIONSHIP" game on TV...yes, yes I do.

I think I would have rather watched from home, Than to get run over like you did in both your post season games! Just :roflol::roflol: sayin

Don't worry about it. You never had a choice.

It continues to amaze me how some rival fans get such a thrill out of mentioning our losses to Florida and Utah -- the teams that finished the season ranked #1 and #2 in the AP poll.

Take comfort in our Sugar Bowl loss if it helps you sleep, but beating your chest over it looks very small.

- Edit - Remember how some Alabama fans took Wisconsin's Cap1 Bowl win over you guys to far when you had beat our ass a month earlier? You're wearing that shoe right now...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't even try that crap. We made fun of you when you passed out West rings and didn't even go to Atlanta.

Ah, so I see... and non-shared West Championship is ring worthy but not a shared. Glad you cleared that up.

I think it's silly to pass out "SEC West Champion" rings when your team stays and home and watches the "SEC CHAMPIONSHIP" game on TV...yes, yes I do.

I think I would have rather watched from home, Than to get run over like you did in both your post season games! Just :roflol::roflol: sayin

It continues to amaze me how some rival fans get such a thrill out of mentioning our losses to Florida and Utah -- the teams that finished the season ranked #1 and #2 in the AP poll.

Take comfort in our Sugar Bowl loss if it helps you sleep, but beating your chest over it looks very small.

- Edit - Remember how some Alabama fans took Wisconsin's Cap1 Bowl win over you guys to far when you had beat our ass a month earlier? You're wearing that shoe right now...

Although I agree with what you're saying (especially the part about how ridiculous the people MAKING FUN of UAt for losing to Florida and Utah are), I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy a UAt loss regardless of the outcome of the Iron Bowl. Now, I'm not going to blow a trumpet from a mountain top over your losses, but I will take a perverse satisfaction in each and every defeat.

Doesn't matter whether it's football, basketball, baseball, gymnastics, golf, swimming & diving, bass fishing, thumb wrestling, karaoke, Sudoku, chess, checkers, curling, luging, skiing, cycling, paintballing, bocce balling, kayaking, rowing, lacrosse, soccer, polo, water polo, tennis, track & field... hopefully you have the point.

Switching gears... IN DEFENSE OF SOME OF OUR FANS...

I can distinctly remember leaving BD stadium in 2004 (cheering and hollering, obviously) and having NUMEROUS bammers get in my face and joyously telling me that our win didn't matter because "we weren't going to the Orange Bowl." Those same fans were jumping for joy when we got left out of the title game. They didn't have an AU loss to beat their chests and crow about, but they crowed all the same. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Even though I'm not one who is making fun of you guys for the losses, I do believe in karma and think you should shut your mouth and take your medicine.

Although I agree with what you're saying (especially the part about how ridiculous the people MAKING FUN of UAt for losing to Florida and Utah are), I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy a UAt loss regardless of the outcome of the Iron Bowl. Now, I'm not going to blow a trumpet from a mountain top over your losses, but I will take a perverse satisfaction in each and every defeat.

Doesn't matter whether it's football, basketball, baseball, gymnastics, golf, swimming & diving, bass fishing, thumb wrestling, karaoke, Sudoku, chess, checkers, curling, luging, skiing, cycling, paintballing, bocce balling, kayaking, rowing, lacrosse, soccer, polo, water polo, tennis, track & field... hopefully you have the point.

I can distinctly remember leaving BD stadium in 2004 (cheering and hollering, obviously) and having NUMEROUS bammers get in my face and joyously telling me that our win didn't matter because "we weren't going to the Orange Bowl." Those same fans were jumping for joy when we got left out of the title game. They didn't have an AU loss to beat their chests and crow about, but they crowed all the same. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Even though I'm not one who is making fun of you guys for the losses, I do believe in karma and think you should shut your mouth and take your medicine.

Classic post Matty. If the peabrained bammers could ever fathom and accept the simple things you say, there would be no need for futher arguments. But "fathom and accept" seems to be way beyond their capability so they just keep pissing in the wind and getting slapped around like a hound dog shaking a rabbit. They demonstrate the true meaning of masochists.

I think rings are called for in only a couple situations:

1.) Conference Champion

2.) Nat'l Champion

I don't really think teams should get them for just any bowl win either.

Just my opinion.

tell that to mack brown and mike leach. mainly just mack brown, however.

I think winning the west, tying for the west, being second runner up in the west...it's all weak sauce for rings. Win the conference get a ring. Alabama, Auburn, doesn't matter.

I agree.

To the other poster that said sitting at home and not playing the SECCG is the same as losing it........what meds are you on? You can play to sit at home during the SECCG. I want my team to be there every year, even if they lose it every time.

Look numbnuts, I didn't say they were the same.. I said from the POV of getting a ring for winning the West it is because neither should get a ring for beating out 5 other teams for something. Conference and Natty's are ring worthy. Obviously you want to play in the SECCG. If you guys really wanted a ring, you should have won the SECCG. Enough of the 'we participated' crap.

Next thing you know they'll start giving out rings for recruiting better than the five other teams in your division.

I think winning the west, tying for the west, being second runner up in the west...it's all weak sauce for rings. Win the conference get a ring. Alabama, Auburn, doesn't matter.

I agree.

To the other poster that said sitting at home and not playing the SECCG is the same as losing it........what meds are you on? You can play to sit at home during the SECCG. I want my team to be there every year, even if they lose it every time.

Look numbnuts, I didn't say they were the same.. I said from the POV of getting a ring for winning the West it is because neither should get a ring for beating out 5 other teams for something. Conference and Natty's are ring worthy. Obviously you want to play in the SECCG. If you guys really wanted a ring, you should have won the SECCG. Enough of the 'we participated' crap.

Next thing you know they'll start giving out rings for recruiting better than the five other teams in your division.

They are already making t-shirts celebrating it.

No, I see exactly what you are saying. I agree 100%. I admit to pulling against Auburn in that Cap1 Bowl as you admit to pulling against us in the Sugar, but I'm not going to beat my chest over your loss... particularly when I had never felt so sick after a football game than the one I had attended a few months earlier. I remember being ashamed at the smack some of our fans dished out following the Wisconsin loss. The same applies to Auburn fans following the Utah meltdown.

Those who screamed at you in 2004 didn't have the intelligence level to require you to respond. That was an awesome team and did everything they could to be in the MNC game... including beat that guy's team moments earlier. I thought you guys deserved a shot but that's a different story.

Typical uat rednceks. Nothing new except the fact that the mayor of munchkinland has the wool pulled over their eyes.

Ummmm well you were at home....

Funny mentality that you would rather suck all year and not get a bowl rather than be good all year and loose a bowl. I choose getting my butt kicked by Utah in a bowl every year over an AU season. Just :roflol::roflol: sayin.

I'm no hypocrite! I did enjoy every single loss AU had this season and there was a lot of enjoying to do! LOL!

Whats funny is that all this comes full circle. Bama fans whine about stuff you guys do and BURN fans do the same. We will suck again in the future like you guys, (lol), and then you will be good, go undefeated and again not get a shot at the title. Life is like that you know. It's the circle of life. :D

soup051216_served.png

Um, not so much.

If we use the bammer method (any laundromat will do), then we have four such titles: 1993, 1983, 1957 and 1913 and that's not even counting the couple of computer rankings that had us #1 after the 2004 season.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

Auburn has just chosen not to count anything other than the 1957 AP title when listing national championships. bammer has chosen to list every poll known to man with very little discrimination in listing theirs.

soup051216_served.png

Um, not so much.

If we use the bammer method (any laundromat will do), then we have four such titles: 1993, 1983, 1957 and 1913 and that's not even counting the couple of computer rankings that had us #1 after the 2004 season.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

Auburn has just chosen not to count anything other than the 1957 AP title when listing national championships. bammer has chosen to list every poll known to man with very little discrimination in listing theirs.

But yes, oh, so much...

You can have your 5 unrecognized titles if you agree to recognize a total of 25 national titles for us.

LINK

How about we agree on the legitimate titles the NCAA recognises you with. 6.

Auburn still only has 1.

There hasn't been much of a real national championship in college football since its inception. We can all agree that poll's, computers, and biased opinion doesn't truly measure any team, so right now everyone has exactly the same number of True National Championships.

Zero

Auburn still only has 1.

There hasn't been much of a real national championship in college football since its inception. We can all agree that poll's, computers, and biased opinion doesn't truly measure any team, so right now everyone has exactly the same number of True National Championships.

Zero

I agree there has never been a true champion because there has never been a playoff. What does the NCAA define as legitimate titles? AP? Why would the AP be better than any other association that votes for the college football champion. Let everyone claim what they want until they have a playoff. What else can you do?

Auburn still only has 1.

Zero

I agree there has never been a true champion because there has never been a playoff. What does the NCAA define as legitimate titles? AP? Why would the AP be better than any other association that votes for the college football champion. Let everyone claim what they want until they have a playoff. What else can you do?

Div 1 College Football is the only NCAA sport that doesn't have a recognized NCAA champion. Never has been and in my lifetime there might never will be.

And the problem with letting everyone claim what they want is you get ridiculous situations where fans gloat about a title that was given retroactive where they didn't even finish first in their conference and finished 20th in the AP poll. That is why. Some schools like to claim more than the more reputable polls awarded, some schools claim less. It a situation where pride gives in to morality.

Auburn still only has 1.

Zero

Div 1 College Football is the only NCAA sport that doesn't have a recognized NCAA champion. Never has been and in my lifetime there might never will be.

And the problem with letting everyone claim what they want is you get ridiculous situations where fans gloat about a title that was given retroactive where they didn't even finish first in their conference and finished 20th in the AP poll. That is why. Some schools like to claim more than the more reputable polls awarded, some schools claim less. It a situation where pride gives in to morality.

Its a dumb arguement that wont be solved until a playoff exists. Cut and dry.

As for the rings or co-champion rings for winning the West........its pretty stupid too. Both Bama and Auburn have issued the rings, both of us are lame for it.

Well, at least you are half right.

I can't believe people are still debating this thing... it is so simple the only difference between the two:

Alabama did win the SEC west .. no debate... rings, robes, ribbons or whatever it is.. it is deserved

Auburn did not win the National Championship... soooo....

If Auburn passed out 6 wins over Bama rings, nobody would have made a big fuss about it.. they would still be people who are making fun of it but no one would argue that it was not well earned.. as for a national championship.. I do not think so ..

Archived