Looks like Andre Smith is losing more money.

FootballFanatic

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2009/03/andre_...ly_struggl.html

Andre Smith reportedly struggling at pro day

Posted by Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register March 11, 2009 2:56 PM

Categories: Football

The Press-Register's Mike Herndon is on campus today covering UA football's pro day, while I'm in Tampa doing interviews on build-up Wednesday at the SEC tournament (look for more later as Alabama is just now beginning practice).

The big question in Tuscaloosa today is clearly left tackle Andre Smith, who lumped a great deal of importance onto today's effort by opting not to work out at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

According to early reports on NFL.com, it isn't going well. ...

Andre Smith, one of the top offensive tackle prospects in this year's draft, said he was relying on Alabama's pro day to make up for the disappearing act he put on at the combine. Well, his times were not overly impressive, but he did at least work out.

Smith measured in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. His short shuttle time is still to come as are the times from his Alabama teammates.

To put Smith's workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

he has lost MILLIONS. Who ever has been giving that kid advice needs to be removed from his intercircle. he has gone from a cant miss top 3-4 pick to possibly out of first round.

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/11/...millions-today/

Former UA star Andre Smith at pro day: "I think I did an outstanding job"

Posted by Mike Herndon, Mobile Press-Register March 11, 2009 3:55 PM

Categories: Football

Getty ImagesAndre Smith's own perception of today's pro day performance differed from early reports at NFL.com.

TUSCALOOSA -- Andre Smith weighed in at 325 pounds, ran a 40-yard dash at 5.28 seconds and worked through a variety of agility and blocking drills at Alabama's pro day today in hopes of restoring what some see as a sagging NFL Draft status.

"It's as light as I've been in a long time -- about three years ago," Smith said of his weight. "But this is the chance of a lifetime. Not many people get the opportunity to get drafted in the NFL."

"I think I did an outstanding job."

Smith joined nine other Crimson Tide players in working out for NFL scouts, joining Antoine Caldwell, Marlon Davis, Glen Coffee, John Parker Wilson, Rashad Johnson, Travis McCall, Nick Walker, Nikita Stover and Bobby Greenwood. Former Crimson Tide receiver Matt Caddell also participated.

Full results of the drills were not released and Smith would not divulge his numbers but his agent, Alvin Keels, confirmed Smith's weight and 40 time.

New York Giants offensive line coach Pat Flaherty, who conducted blocking drills with Smith, Caldwell and Davis, said Smith looked good but still has room for improvement.

"He looked better. He can still get better, and he will once he stays after his routine and conditioning," Flaherty said. "I was looking for how he moved on the field. I watched him on tape; he's a very good football player. I was anxious to see what type of condition he was in and what he's done since the season ended. We got some answers."

Smith chose not to work out at the NFL combine in Indianapolis last month and left the event abruptly without informing anyone, reportedly irking scouts and possibly hurting his draft status. Smith said he regretted skipping out on the event, but was anxious to resume workouts.

"If I had to do it over again, I would handle it differently," he said. "I just made a bad decision in leaving, but I think I made a good football decision in getting back to work with my personal trainer.

"All I an do is do what I did today, as far as performing well," added Smith, who met with several teams during the day. "They really said I did an outstanding job. I did good in my position-oriented drills and I did really good in my testing."

Source

I think reality and fantasy have become two distinct worlds for this young man. Guess which one he is currently residing in.

Does 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds sound just a little weak for someone measured in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds? I’m thinking if he does not start spending a lot of time in the weight room, some of those big, strong, fast and very quick NFL DE’s will be eating his lunch.

Andre Smith at pro day: "I think I did an outstanding job"

Apparently perception and reality are not on the same bus.

Read the article SouthLink posted, then check this one out:

That said, the initial impressions from Smith’s workout were not overly impressive. He came into his pro day hoping to post solid numbers and prove to scouts that he was in shape after showing up to the combine overweight and leaving Indianapolis unannounced without doing the drills.

He told Steve Wyche heading into the pro day, “There’s so much I’m putting into March 11. They say don’t put all your eggs in one basket but I’m doing that on this occasion because I feel like I need to give the best showing I can.”

Well, his workout times were unspectacular. He came in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. He did the short shuttle in 4.93 seconds.

To put Smith’s workout drills in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/11/early-sign...-not-promising/

Then read this pile of bullcrap from bammerrag:

http://alabama.scout.com/2/846348.html

What are these guys snorting on their down time?

His only good quality may be in his playing on the field. I've seen lots of recruits and players be studs on paper, then on the field never achieve their hype. Smith was a great tackle on field, but maybe he sucks at workouts and drills? Either way he's not doing himself any favors.

Read the article SouthLink posted, then check this one out:

That said, the initial impressions from Smith’s workout were not overly impressive. He came into his pro day hoping to post solid numbers and prove to scouts that he was in shape after showing up to the combine overweight and leaving Indianapolis unannounced without doing the drills.

He told Steve Wyche heading into the pro day, “There’s so much I’m putting into March 11. They say don’t put all your eggs in one basket but I’m doing that on this occasion because I feel like I need to give the best showing I can.”

Well, his workout times were unspectacular. He came in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. He did the short shuttle in 4.93 seconds.

To put Smith’s workout drills in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/11/early-sign...-not-promising/

Then read this pile of bullcrap from bammerrag:

http://alabama.scout.com/2/846348.html

What are these guys snorting on their down time?

Two unnamed sources and his agent. Yeah, that sounds like the journalism we expect from uat.

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/11/...millions-today/

As to Smith running with his shirt off, did anyone happen to see the film of him running? It was on WSFA last night. Needless to say, it isn't on their website today. He has man-boobies bad. He reminded me of a football player about 10 years later that hasn't worked out. Still big, but the muscle has gone to fat.

he has lost MILLIONS. Who ever has been giving that kid advice needs to be removed from his intercircle. he has gone from a cant miss top 3-4 pick to possibly out of first round.

Here is the issue. He never was a top 3-4 can't miss prospect. He has been propped up and over rated for the past few years. The combine and these pro days are a fleshing out process and designed to do exactly this: find out who is real and who is not. That is why the pro's don't draft based on the media, newspaper articles, sport show. Same could be said about recruiting services.

Here's a picture of him running the 40. Without a shirt. Beware.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hor.../AndreSmith.jpg

If you're trying to prove that you've been busting it to get in shape, why in the world would you do that if you're that fat?

Yea, you don't go shirtless unless you are ripped like a greek god or something. That is just horrible!!

Here's a picture of him running the 40. Without a shirt. Beware.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/hor.../AndreSmith.jpg

If you're trying to prove that you've been busting it to get in shape, why in the world would you do that if you're that fat?

Nice rack?

This guy is an idiot, plain and simple. If anything gets uncovered about his agent contact then he's also ruined the season for his teammates in addition to killing his own pro career. What a joke.

And yet he'll be a first round pick. Probably top 10.

Not anymore.

Welcome back from oblivion BG

Is this guy off of his medication or what?????? He was one of the best offensive lineman I have seen in some time and he just fell apart. How do you get so out of shape in three months. Heck I am over thiry. I have not played ball since the '93. I am pudgey and out of shape. Before my shoulder surgery I could press 225 seven times and my fourty time was around 4.6. Here is a guy who is supposed to be in great shape. As a lineman, he is supposed to be one of the strongest men on the team and he presses 225 lbs 19 times. Are you freaking kidding me? Don't most linemen have 25-35 reps. Maybe he had some type of surgery, or some type of injury that they concealled. That is the only thing I could think of. This kid is losing money almost as fast as Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. I could just see me sitting in for an interview and possibly my future boss asks me if I could write him a quick report on why I want this job and I tell him that I did not feel that was needed at this time and just leave in the middle of the interview without excusing myself or anything like this young man did. Andre, please pull your head out of your @##. You are making all of us with heart but not enough talent or size hurt big boy. You should be ashamed.

Archived