Oku to UT

WAR-MATT

Fair enough. I'm not certain how the numbers work out, but this could free up a slot for Daphne's Robert Cooper, who agreed to take a gray-shirt, or new WR recruit Wiesner, who agreed to walk on. Both these guys want to come to Auburn and they haven't jerked anybody around in the process.

Kiffin and Oku may be a good fit at UT.

I'm not certain how the numbers work out, but this could free up a slot for Daphne's Robert Cooper, who agreed to take a gray-shirt, or new WR recruit Wiesner, who agreed to walk on. Both these guys want to come to Auburn and they haven't jerked anybody around in the process.

Neither one is going to get a scholarship out of this.

metafour....I disagree with you. It may be next spring, but you can't say that yet.

I'm not certain how the numbers work out, but this could free up a slot for Daphne's Robert Cooper, who agreed to take a gray-shirt, or new WR recruit Wiesner, who agreed to walk on. Both these guys want to come to Auburn and they haven't jerked anybody around in the process.

Neither one is going to get a scholarship out of this.

Then what happened to the scholarship we were saving for Oku?

Its not going to get used? Cooper and Wisner were Grayshirting and Walking on regardless of what happened to Oku. The reasoning? Neither are scholarship worthy at this point. I know it would be nice to give one of them a scholarship, but those guys knew what their situation was...Wisner's only options were a few walk-on offers, you really think we are going to give him a scholarship? Both will have chances to earn scholarships, but it is pretty obvious that both weren't scholarship players in this class.

Its not going to get used? Cooper and Wisner were Grayshirting and Walking on regardless of what happened to Oku. The reasoning? Neither are scholarship worthy at this point. I know it would be nice to give one of them a scholarship, but those guys knew what their situation was...Wisner's only options were a few walk-on offers, you really think we are going to give him a scholarship? Both will have chances to earn scholarships, but it is pretty obvious that both weren't scholarship players in this class.

Why not use it? It's not like if we only sign 24 this year we can sign 26 next year. The limit is 25 a year. Failing to use all 25 doesn't make any sense. Unless, of course, the overall limit of 85 is a factor but I don't think that's going to be a problem for us.

Why not use it? It's not like if we only sign 24 this year we can sign 26 next year. The limit is 25 a year. Failing to use all 25 doesn't make any sense. Unless, of course, the overall limit of 85 is a factor but I don't think that's going to be a problem for us.

I'm not an expert, but you if you're not sure about if a player is worthy of a scholarship then why would you just give him one and make a 4 year commitment to the player?

Good. A player that's a head-case deserves to be coached by a head-case. I'm sure this is going to turn out a-ok.

yikes.

What's the over-under for complete meltdown of the UT program in the next 2 years?

The max is 25 year. You can actually only sign how many you have available to bring you to the total of 85.

Many teams such as AU always oversign and then have to either have a few grey shirts, or have a few uppler classmen leave before the next year. We have seen that going on at UAT very much so the last year or so.

You know, when I saw the article about Oku going to UT in al.com, I honestly didn't care. I was glad it was over, sure, but I truly don't think we lost anything. We have a great stable of RB, so the addition of Oku would have made it just harder for the coaching staff to decide who was going to get what. I do wish him well, but I have a hunch it won't be smooth sailing for that young man. For one, the coaching staff at UT, mainly Lane Kiffin, is strange. He is, too, and that isn't a good combination.

I tend to agree with you. Also, he will be a long distance from his "girlfriend" and home at UT. If the competetion gets rally tough and his girlfriend not around and being so far from home, who knows. He wouldn't be the first to get homesick and "chunk it" for a school nearer to home. That's why I have always had reservations about signing players half way across the country.

It sucks to miss out on a good player. I would have liked to see the Chiz make a man out of this guy. But still, good luck Mr. Oku, make the most of your scholly and get a good education.

It sucks to miss out on a good player. I would have liked to see the Chiz make a man out of this guy. But still, good luck Mr. Oku, make the most of your scholly and get a good education.

Maybe we can find one that's not so much drama. This guy had "Tray Blackmon" written all over him.

As I predicted all along, he kept his original commitment. Chalk one up for Eddie Gran in head to head competetion with Trooper.

Just a point, we can get an early enroller on the books next year with this scholly. The player would count against this years 25.

Now THAT's a valid point. Thanks.

As I predicted all along, he kept his original commitment. Chalk one up for Eddie Gran in head to head competetion with Trooper.

I don't think this has anything to do with Trooper or Gran. Oku could go to UT and almost instantaneously jump to the top of the depth chart where at AU he would be 3rd or 4th if not redshirted. Then over the next 4 years he would compete against 4 star recruits Aycock and McCalleb.

Oku was intrigued by AU until we signed Aycock then it became a free for all. The only reason UT got Oku was 1) Aycock to AU and 2) Brown is not signing with UT. If either of these happened, Oku would be going to AU.

I don't think this has anything to do with Trooper or Gran. Oku could go to UT and almost instantaneously jump to the top of the depth chart where at AU he would be 3rd or 4th if not redshirted. Then over the next 4 years he would compete against 4 star recruits Aycock and McCalleb.

Oku was intrigued by AU until we signed Aycock then it became a free for all. The only reason UT got Oku was 1) Aycock to AU and 2) Brown is not signing with UT. If either of these happened, Oku would be going to AU.

I disagree but it's hard to argue with speculation.

I disagree but it's hard to argue with speculation.

Well for the record he first committed to Tennessee when Gran was coaching at AU.

Well for the record he first committed to Tennessee when Gran was coaching at AU.

True but he opened things up after the coaching changes at UT and Gran and Trooper were head to head for him. It's a minor point so no big deal.

Archived