Raymond Cotton's new team wins big.

WAR-MATT

16-25 245yds 3TD's, 4 carries 80 yards 1TD

Cotton

Cotton's dandy in opening win

ANNAPOLIS

CrownsvilleTransfer throws 3 touchdown passes

Published September 06, 2008

Raymond Cotton didn't wait long to announce his arrival.

Meade's senior quarterback, a transfer from Mobile, Ala., connected with senior wideout Trevor Turner for a 40-yard touchdown pass on the Mustangs' opening drive last night as Meade downed Franklin, 42-7.

Cotton completed 16 of 22 passes for 245 yards with three touchdowns. He also rushed for 80 yards and a touchdown on four carries.

"He's a very talented individual, and he showed it today," first-year Meade coach Lance Clelland said. "He played tremendous tonight. He's very smart, he understands the offense and it makes him a very dangerous player. His stats don't lie."

Cotton also connected with Tuswani Copeland for a 45-yard score in the second quarter to give the Mustangs a 28-0 lead.

Meade's attack was two-pronged, as senior Demetrius Brown (20 carries, 175 yards) and junior Teldrick Morgan (10 rushes, 120 yards) torched the Franklin defense on the ground. Half of Morgan's yards came on a second-quarter, 60-yard touchdown run.

"It's a great feeling," Clelland said. "We worked for three weeks and put a lot of time in. It's always great when you have evidence that what you do works. I was very happy with their performance."

Cotton's final touchdown pass was to senior wide receiver James Sayers, who hauled in an 11-yard toss from the Auburn recruit.

Franklin (0-1) 0 7 0 0 - 7

Meade (1-0) 20 8 7 7 - 42

ME - Turner 40 pass from Cotton (kick failed)

ME - Cotton 2 run (kick failed)

ME - Morgan 60 run (Brown run)

ME - Copeland 45 pass from Cotton (Brown run)

FR - Flemming 49 run (kick good)

ME - Sayers 11 pass from Cotton (Hawk kick)

ME - Washington 2 run (Hawk kick)

RUSHING: FR - 80. ME - D. Brown 20-175, Morgan 10-120, Cotton 4-80, Washington 5-50; PASSING: FR - 1-8-0=20 yards. ME - Cotton 16-22-0=245 yards

Haven't looked it up but the local sports talk guy this morning was running down some of the AU/UA commitment stats and said Brandon Jacobs had about 190 yards. Said AJ McCarron had a rough night for St. Paul. Trent Richardson busted loose for about 190 and Rodney Scott went for around 130. Nico Johnson intercepted a pass late in a loss. Quoting from memory but that shouldn't be too far off.

Said they expected Rodney Scott to be at the UF/Miami tilt. Richardson was going too but backed out.

Haven't looked it up but the local sports talk guy this morning was running down some of the AU/UA commitment stats and said Brandon Jacobs had about 190 yards. Said AJ McCarron had a rough night for St. Paul. Trent Richardson busted loose for about 190 and Rodney Scott went for around 130. Nico Johnson intercepted a pass late in a loss. Quoting from memory but that shouldn't be too far off.

Said they expected Rodney Scott to be at the UF/Miami tilt. Richardson was going too but backed out.

Richardson is in T-town afaik, as well as DJ Fluker and others.

Guest BoStillKnows

I bet they were impressed....with Tulane.

Dre Kirkpatrick was there also, along with AJ McCarron. Richardson and McCarron were both wearing UA shirts. still waiting on Richardson to dump UA and go to UF....especially since he ditched UF to come to T-town...

Dre Kirkpatrick was there also, along with AJ McCarron. Richardson and McCarron were both wearing UA shirts. still waiting on Richardson to dump UA and go to UF....especially since he ditched UF to come to T-town...

He just knew UAT/Tulane would be a better game.

He just knew UAT/Tulane would be a better game.

Prowler's "inside sources" (aka message boards) say he is going to go to UF.....wait, what week is this? maybe LSU. his "sources" can't seem to make up their minds.

Starts out as a nice heads up on cotton and his new team, turns into a pissing match about bama. I thought we ironed these problems out a while ago.

16-25 245yds 3TD's, 4 carries 80 yards 1TD

Cotton

Cotton's dandy in opening win

ANNAPOLIS

CrownsvilleTransfer throws 3 touchdown passes

Published September 06, 2008

Raymond Cotton didn't wait long to announce his arrival.

Meade's senior quarterback, a transfer from Mobile, Ala., connected with senior wideout Trevor Turner for a 40-yard touchdown pass on the Mustangs' opening drive last night as Meade downed Franklin, 42-7.

Cotton completed 16 of 22 passes for 245 yards with three touchdowns. He also rushed for 80 yards and a touchdown on four carries.

"He's a very talented individual, and he showed it today," first-year Meade coach Lance Clelland said. "He played tremendous tonight. He's very smart, he understands the offense and it makes him a very dangerous player. His stats don't lie."

Cotton also connected with Tuswani Copeland for a 45-yard score in the second quarter to give the Mustangs a 28-0 lead.

Meade's attack was two-pronged, as senior Demetrius Brown (20 carries, 175 yards) and junior Teldrick Morgan (10 rushes, 120 yards) torched the Franklin defense on the ground. Half of Morgan's yards came on a second-quarter, 60-yard touchdown run.

"It's a great feeling," Clelland said. "We worked for three weeks and put a lot of time in. It's always great when you have evidence that what you do works. I was very happy with their performance."

Cotton's final touchdown pass was to senior wide receiver James Sayers, who hauled in an 11-yard toss from the Auburn recruit.

Franklin (0-1) 0 7 0 0 - 7

Meade (1-0) 20 8 7 7 - 42

ME - Turner 40 pass from Cotton (kick failed)

ME - Cotton 2 run (kick failed)

ME - Morgan 60 run (Brown run)

ME - Copeland 45 pass from Cotton (Brown run)

FR - Flemming 49 run (kick good)

ME - Sayers 11 pass from Cotton (Hawk kick)

ME - Washington 2 run (Hawk kick)

RUSHING: FR - 80. ME - D. Brown 20-175, Morgan 10-120, Cotton 4-80, Washington 5-50; PASSING: FR - 1-8-0=20 yards. ME - Cotton 16-22-0=245 yards

And in other news there was a 8th grade football matchup between Pineknot and Frog-Hollow. Some kid threw for 300 yards and ran for another 100 yards.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived