Today's Practice

Proud Tiger

Again, did you read what I wrote. Wow...

All I claimed was that I was disappointed in the COACHING of having the secondary play off the receivers. From what I have heard that is what should be expected with Paul Rhoads. That is fine - I just don't like that style of play and I predict it will bite us. This defense looks strikingly similar to the 2005 defense. I am not dogging our defense at all. But did you not see how easily ULM went down the field on our defense in that first half?

Did we watch the same first half? Here are ULM's first half drives:

ULM 1st L14 12:14 Punt L0912:08 Fumble 1--5 0:06

ULM 1st L32 12:08 Kickoff A34 09:48 Punt 6-34 2:20

ULM 1st L38 08:30 Punt A21 04:08 Missed FG 9-41 4:22

ULM 1st L21 01:11 Punt L19 00:04 Punt 3--2 1:07

ULM 1st L34 00:04 Kickoff L41 12:54 Punt 3-7 2:10

ULM 2nd L13 11:11 Punt L18 09:41 Punt 3-5 1:30

ULM 2nd L19 07:59 Punt L18 06:18 Punt 3--1 1:41

ULM 2nd L13 05:19 Punt L30 03:30 Punt 5-17 1:49

ULM 2nd L21 01:16 Kickoff L15 00:00 Punt 3--6 1:16

So, two drives that did anything, one of which ended with a missed FG. The other 1st half drives were six punts and a fumble. Basically, ULM did a couple of things on their first two drives after the Goggins fumble return for a TD, then our defense totally locked down on them giving up drives the rest of the half that averaged a little over 6 yds per drive.

And the 2nd half wasn't much different. Two good drives and the rest averaged just over 9 yds each.

One (major) aspect of the game. That's it. I didn't say the defense stunk or anything like that. It is not all that different from people pointing out that the offense was not impressive, even though the team scored 34 points. We had two offensive touchdowns and a led to a couple of FGs (and one missed)? Ooooh, but make sure you put me down for doubting the defense even though they pitched a shutout. But we can put down the offense, even though they led to what should've been at least 23 points? Bama's offense didn't do that well against ULM last year.

I don't see how the above stats make this a "major" aspect.

Titan you are right - I guess those 2 or 3 drives just stuck in my head and made it seem worse than it really was. Add on the lack of offense made me think it was even worse. My apologies. I still don't like playing off the receivers so much and dropping so far back. Those are just the types of plays that if an offense plays like that and throws it less than 10 yards, it's like a guaranteed first down (or near so) as long as the QB is at least half decent.

Titan you are right - I guess those 2 or 3 drives just stuck in my head and made it seem worse than it really was. Add on the lack of offense made me think it was even worse. My apologies. I still don't like playing off the receivers so much and dropping so far back. Those are just the types of plays that if an offense plays like that and throws it less than 10 yards, it's like a guaranteed first down (or near so) as long as the QB is at least half decent.

Seems like one too many sips of good 'ol "Sky is Falling" huh?? Man I hate when that happens-That's why I gave the stuff up years ago-makes one say and do things that don't necessarily make sense... ;)

Does Tony Franklin qualify as an armchair QB???

AU works on Passing Game

Auburn works on passing game after poor performance against Louisiana-Monroe

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

CHARLES GOLDBERG

News staff writer

AUBURN - Auburn's passing game was in fix-it mode Monday with inside receivers moving to the outside because of injured players, a redshirt being yanked off a rookie and the starting quarterback watching from the sidelines because of a leg injury.

Coach Tommy Tuberville said Kodi Burns was "questionable" for Saturday's game against Southern Miss after the quarterback received stitches to close a 7-inch cut on his leg during last weekend's win over Louisiana-Monroe.

"There's no swelling, but he's a ways away," Tuberville said.

While Tuberville cast some doubt on Burns' availability - Burns could practice today - the heavy lifting in Monday's practice was clearly done by the receivers. They are dealing with a season-ending injury to Philip Pierre-Louis, a less-serious knee injury to James Swinton and a bad hamstring belonging to Montez Billings. An 85-yard passing game in last Saturday's 34-0 win over Monroe only compounded the pain.

Auburn reacted by saying freshman Derek Winter would play Saturday after being ticketed for a redshirt season just a week ago.

Help came to the outside receiver spots when Darvin Adams and Mario Fannin showed up there after being mostly slot receivers last week.

More changes could be in the works, Tuberville said.

"They are moving guys around, just trying to get two-deep at each position," Tuberville said.

Receiver Robert Dunn said he can't tell what the final lineup will be.

"But I'm pretty sure there's going to have to be some changes in the next couple of days to get ready to start the game plan," Dunn said.

Dunn said he hasn't been asked to move from inside receiver - yet.

"I know the offense pretty much inside and out, so if they need to move me outside - or to running back, center, guard or tackle or something, I could pretty much go in and keep the pace up with the rest of the guys," Dunn said.

Another change may have come when offensive coordinator Tony Franklin laid down the offensive law Monday. Franklin told his players there was plenty of blame to go around for Auburn's poor passing day last Saturday.

"He said stop pointing fingers. And he was right. Everybody respected that," said receiver Chris Slaughter.

Slaughter was one of the bright spots in the passing game. He caught a touchdown pass. But much of the night it was a struggle.

"We just thought we'd go out there and score every drive," Slaughter said.

But Franklin wasn't as sure. "He told us Thursday, `I don't think y'all are going to play well.' And we didn't," Slaughter said. (Slaughter Arm chair QB too???)

He said Franklin handled that in this week's meeting.

"He just said it in words I can't repeat," Slaughter said with a laugh. Check out Goldberg's blog at blog.al.com/goldmine cgoldberg@bhamnews.com

So at least on the offensive side of the ball, it seems as though Tony Franklin was maybe AU harshest critic, or arm chair QB... B)

I saw Proud Tiger on television Sunday putting sandbags on levee's in New Orleans and then saw him on the floor of the Republican Convention on Monday. How can he be at two places at one time? How can we rely on his "reports". It appears there is a serious conspiracy going on and I want an answer from the doubters.... :no:

I saw Proud Tiger on television Sunday putting sandbags on levee's in New Orleans and then saw him on the floor of the Republican Convention on Monday. How can he be at two places at one time? How can we rely on his "reports". It appears there is a serious conspiracy going on and I want an answer from the doubters.... :no:

You didn't know triplets run in Proud Tiger's family? :campfire:

Hal, not bad for an old fart huh? Didn't youknow I had my own private jet? How are things on the coast? We miss you in Huntsville.

I have to agree with Pchamp on this one, I have never been a big fan of Corners playing way off. I've always felt that a efficient QB and good OC can pick those situations apart.

But I'm sure Rhodes is smart enough to adjust in those situations.

In all honesty, I'm more of a press coverage kind of guy myself if you're just asking for preferences...until somebody lets a WR get behind them and gets burned deep.

And let's not forget, Chizik was more of a "keep the WRs in front of you" kind of guy, bend but don't break philosophy too and we did ok under him.

The only thing that bothers me at all is the mechanics of the wide receivers! Heck, Bammer just got the great Julio and he played better than some of our touted receivers. For example, isn't it time Hawthorne stepped up and Rod Smith? What about the touted Slaughter, Fannin, and others? I can't understand why we can't seem to coach wide Receivers? Are they not that good or is our WR coaching that bad? Just wondering? Also, what happened to our t hrowing to EXPERIENCED tight ends like Trott and others?

I believe it has been long known that our WR coach, Greg Knox, is not very good. Tuberville is just very loyal to his coaches. IMO, he should stick to being the recruiting coordinator and we need to find an improved WR coach.

I don't miss Huntsville Proud Tiger....hope you guys get a new mayor

Julio Jones doesn't have a new Escalade, he's got a new Tahoe, it's white with gangsta rims. He's supoosed to be a pretty good kid. Hope he goes to the NFL after his freshman year...LOL....He's the real deal, saw him a couple a times last year. God, these Bammer fans are insane down here....You can go to the public beach on the weekend and they'll start kind of a wave of yelling Roll Tide....makes you want to spill your beer and barf in the sand

There are still some sane folks here, the AU grads that all the Bammer fans work for...gotta throw the masses a bone every once in a while, as Pat Dye would say

I believe it has been long known that our WR coach, Greg Knox, is not very good. Tuberville is just very loyal to his coaches. IMO, he should stick to being the recruiting coordinator and we need to find an improved WR coach.

You are so FOS it's pathetic.

You are so FOS it's pathetic.

My pick for post of the year! :thumbsup:

We didn't throw to Trott or anything deep because we didn't need to. The defense was playing lights out and we play in the SEC. You don't show your hand if you don't have to.

MoJo, when did you move to the coast man? Did you sell the business and retire or running it from there?

Nope, didn't sell the business but moved it down here....spent the last year drunk...it was time to go back to work after drinking 100,000 beers in my lifetime....LOL

The weather and the economy has given me ample time to post on this site recently....hope all is well with you and the rest of the old boys....keep up the good work keeping me informed on my tigers. I read alot here

Wow, you sound like you are miserable. <_<

Yeah, I bet the housing industry problems have affected your profit margin a bit. Maybe the economy will pick back up so you can kick that nasty drinking habit. :lol:

Archived