New Student Union *Pics Inside*

Auburn 6

I didn't realize they were forcing meal plans for students. Is it only if you live on-campus, or must all freshmen get meal plans? When I was a freshman in '02 it was optional and when I was a student recruiter between '05 and '07 it was still optional.

You were a student recruiter?

Yes... believe it or not. Regardless of how I come across on this forum, I really do Love Auburn. Note, I never trash Auburn University, nor it's football program. But I've defended myself too many times on this board, so I'll stop there.

I see there is a new bookstore. Is the one in Haley still open? They just renovated it like a year and a half ago. Are they gonna keep two that close to each other?

The bookstore is still in its normal location and probably will be for a while. It might be the end of the semester before they move just because that's a lot of stuff. I doubt the Haley store will still exist after this. Whatever renovations they did they weren't major. It still looks pretty much the same as it always has.

The new one is not an actual full scale bookstore. It's in a much smaller area than the current bookstore. The new one will be primarily for apparel and maybe some school supplies. I think it is actually taking the place of Strictly Business (the small bookstore in Lowder) which has been shut down and is no longer there. The current bookstore will continue to be the main campus bookstore for awhile I would guess. That would be the dumbest thing ever to renovate a year before they knew there was going to be a new one.

Edit: The renovations were actually pretty major. They put in a brand new tile floor and most of the shelving is new. If you saw it while they were renovating you would have noticed some major changes.

Oh ok. I don't pay a ton of attention to the flooring or too much to the shelving either. That makes since to sell apparel and stuff there considering football, but it seems a bit confusing cause then you might end up going to both places looking for things. Perhaps they'll have it broken up nicely though.

Am I crazy or did they also renovate the concourse entrance when they made changes? Or was it already like that?

Nice pics, things have changed since '97. It does look to be a big improvement over Foy. As to the meal plan, AU switched from Sedexo (sp?) to Chartwells late last year to provide on campus dining and the forced meal plan may be a way to gaurantee sales for the new company as well as for the University. Starting fall semester '08 Freshmen will have to pay $995 per semester if living on campus and $395 I believe it is if living off campus for the meal plan with the intentions of all students being on meal plan by fall 2011. Also as mentioned AU is moving towards requiring all Freshmen to live on campus with the opening of the new dorms.

If they're changing from Sodexho to Chartwells on campus, are they also changing from Sodexho to Chartwells for stadium concessions? Don't know about the lower concourse but the food (and the choices) on the upper level is terrible! I've only been to a few other stadiums, but the choice and quality of food is so much better. I love Jordan-Hare and have never found anyplace I'd rather see a game in person, but I sure would like to get a decent burger or hot dog or BBQ sandwich!

I see there is a new bookstore. Is the one in Haley still open? They just renovated it like a year and a half ago. Are they gonna keep two that close to each other?

The bookstore is still in its normal location and probably will be for a while. It might be the end of the semester before they move just because that's a lot of stuff. I doubt the Haley store will still exist after this. Whatever renovations they did they weren't major. It still looks pretty much the same as it always has.

The new one is not an actual full scale bookstore. It's in a much smaller area than the current bookstore. The new one will be primarily for apparel and maybe some school supplies. I think it is actually taking the place of Strictly Business (the small bookstore in Lowder) which has been shut down and is no longer there. The current bookstore will continue to be the main campus bookstore for awhile I would guess. That would be the dumbest thing ever to renovate a year before they knew there was going to be a new one.

Edit: The renovations were actually pretty major. They put in a brand new tile floor and most of the shelving is new. If you saw it while they were renovating you would have noticed some major changes.

Oh ok. I don't pay a ton of attention to the flooring or too much to the shelving either. That makes since to sell apparel and stuff there considering football, but it seems a bit confusing cause then you might end up going to both places looking for things. Perhaps they'll have it broken up nicely though.

Am I crazy or did they also renovate the concourse entrance when they made changes? Or was it already like that?

To be honest I probably wouldn't have noticed much if I hadn't seen it, but they did do a lot of work and I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

Archived