McCain unsure how many houses he owns

RunInRed

BUT BUT BUT... elitism is an attitude. Didn't you get that memo, Tex?

If you're a polished orator, you're an elitist. If you have to check with your minder to see how many homes you own, why, you're a golly good 'ol fella who is only senile because of love for his country and a fierce streak of independence. Yeah, that's it!

snob.jpg

" You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them..... then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUT BUT BUT... elitism is an attitude. Didn't you get that memo, Tex?

If you're a polished orator, you're an elitist. If you have to check with your minder to see how many homes you own, why, you're a golly good 'ol fella who is only senile because of love for his country and a fierce streak of independence. Yeah, that's it!

snob.jpg

" You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them..... then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

Nailed that one.

http://onthescene.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/0...n-pennsylvania/

First off, it would be more accurate to say McCain’s wife owns most of their seven houses.

And McCain needed to check with his staff about this?

Then how is it? How does he not know how many houses he owns?

Here's how -

Here's the skinny from Politifact.com

First off, it would be more accurate to say McCain’s wife owns most of their seven houses.

The McCains’ property is mostly in the name of Cindy McCain, chairwoman Hensley & Co, a huge Anheuser-Busch beer distributorship that was founded by her parents. Records show she owns residences across the country.

1. The largest home is a creekside ranch near Sedona, Ariz., spread over more than six acres. That’s where McCain entertained vice presidential prospects, including Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, over Memorial Day weekend. Records show it includes three houses and is worth about $1.1-million. The owner is listed as the Cindy Hensley McCain Family Trust.

2. In nearby Phoenix, Cindy McCain owns two combined condo units worth about $1.7-million. They’re part of the Residences at 2211 Camelback, which bills itself as “The Valley of the Sun’s finest example of life beyond the expected” at “the most preferred urban residential address in the prestigious Camelback Corridor.”

3. In Arlington, Va., the McCains live in a three-bedroom high-rise condo worth $847,800, property records show.

4. They also own a condo in La Jolla, Calif., that’s worth more than $1-million. The building overlooks a park and the Pacific Ocean.

Records also link the McCains to three other residences.

5. An Arizona company called Wild River Rental LLC, which records show is owned by Cindy McCain, is listed as the owner of Phoenix condo worth more than half a million dollars. The McCains bought the condo for their daughter Meghan, according to a story in GQ magazine and confirmed through a public records search. The reporter compared the inside to “a spaceship furnished by West Elm. There’s a giant silver chimney that extends out of her fireplace into the ceiling about twenty feet above.”

6. and 7. Dream Catcher Family LLC, a domestic corporation formed by the McCain family, owns two condos in a beachfront complex in Coronado, Calif. Tax records show one is valued at $2.7-million. The other was purchased this year, according to sales records. A sales price was not available.

Though the Obama campaign forgot to mention that it’s actually McCain’s wealthy wife who owns most of the property, we’ll overlook the legal status to say the implication is correct. They’re right in saying that McCain has seven homes in five cities and three states.

We rule the statement True.

According to this article McCain and his wife own 10 houses, if you count the first property as three houses and the second property as two condos. Nobody on this board seems to know how many houses McCain owns even with the listing in front of you. Moral of the story is that the answer is not as straight forward and it sounds.

Another question... what the freak difference does it make? Oh yeah, that's right you want to take his money and give it to the poor.

Here's how -

The McCains’ property is mostly in the name of Cindy McCain, chairwoman Hensley & Co, a huge Anheuser-Busch beer distributorship that was founded by her parents. Records show she owns residences across the country.

1. The largest home is a creekside ranch near Sedona, Ariz., spread over more than six acres. That’s where McCain entertained vice presidential prospects, including Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, over Memorial Day weekend. Records show it includes three houses and is worth about $1.1-million. The owner is listed as the Cindy Hensley McCain Family Trust.

2. In nearby Phoenix, Cindy McCain owns two combined condo units worth about $1.7-million. They’re part of the Residences at 2211 Camelback, which bills itself as “The Valley of the Sun’s finest example of life beyond the expected” at “the most preferred urban residential address in the prestigious Camelback Corridor.”

3. In Arlington, Va., the McCains live in a three-bedroom high-rise condo worth $847,800, property records show.

4. They also own a condo in La Jolla, Calif., that’s worth more than $1-million. The building overlooks a park and the Pacific Ocean.

5. An Arizona company called Wild River Rental LLC, which records show is owned by Cindy McCain, is listed as the owner of Phoenix condo worth more than half a million dollars. The McCains bought the condo for their daughter Meghan, according to a story in GQ magazine and confirmed through a public records search. The reporter compared the inside to “a spaceship furnished by West Elm. There’s a giant silver chimney that extends out of her fireplace into the ceiling about twenty feet above.”

6. and 7. Dream Catcher Family LLC, a domestic corporation formed by the McCain family, owns two condos in a beachfront complex in Coronado, Calif. Tax records show one is valued at $2.7-million. The other was purchased this year, according to sales records. A sales price was not available.

Though the Obama campaign forgot to mention that it’s actually McCain’s wealthy wife who owns most of the property, we’ll overlook the legal status to say the implication is correct. They’re right in saying that McCain has seven homes in five cities and three states.

According to this article McCain and his wife own 10 houses, if you count the first property as three houses and the second property as two condos. Nobody on this board seems to know how many houses McCain owns even with the listing in front of you. Moral of the story is that the answer is not as straight forward and it sounds.

Another question... what the freak difference does it make? Oh yeah, that's right you want to take his money and give it to the poor.

The good doctor misses the point again.

Please explain the point, Red. Is it that he is rich so he can't lead the country. Is it that he is too senile to lead the country. What EXACTLY is the problem with him not knowing how many houses his millionaire wife owns? I sincerely don't know why it matters. It is my guess that he doesn't care how many houses he owns, just like I don't care how many he owns.

Here's how -

Moral of the story is that most people in the United States know how many houses they own and don't have to ask someone else.

Finally TigerAl says something that makes sense. You are ABSOLUTELY correct... most people know how many houses they own.

Of course:

"Most people" don't have millions of dollars and own 7-10 homes and multiple businesses and provide the infrastructure for the U.S. and world economy and have the most experience of ANY presidential candidate to lead the country. I agree that "most people" know how many houses they own. What does that have to do with anything. I don't think that "most people" should be president.

Finally TigerAl says something that makes sense. You are ABSOLUTELY correct... most people know how many houses they own.

Of course:

"Most people" don't have millions of dollars and own 7-10 homes and multiple businesses and provide the infrastructure for the U.S. and world economy and have the most experience of ANY presidential candidate to lead the country. I agree that "most people" know how many houses they own. What does that have to do with anything. I don't think that "most people" should be president.

Hey, Slick, and we're still waiting on you to make sense. For a candidate to win, "most people" have to vote for him. "Most people" have trouble relating to a guy who doesn't know how many homes he and his wife own. "Most people" think that a guy who doesn't know how many homes he owns can't possibly understand their own economic hardship-- especially when his comments further illustrate that fact.

Of course:

Hey, Slick, and we're still waiting on you to make sense. For a candidate to win, "most people" have to vote for him. "Most people" have trouble relating to a guy who doesn't know how many homes he and his wife own. "Most people" think that a guy who doesn't know how many homes he owns can't possibly understand their own economic hardship-- especially when his comments further illustrate that fact.

Thanks for the nickname. If you say I am slick then I must be. Is the purpose of the president to be someone you can relate to? Do you think that having only one house would make him more electable? Do you think either of the candidates can relate to my or your economic hardships? Get real. Do I think that McCain is very rich...yes. What does that have to do with anything? I sincerely do not understand what the issue is.

If you think that he is too rich to be president just say so. If you think he is too stupid or senile to be president just say so. If you are just talking about some useless drivel to distract everyone from his vastly superior experience just say so.

Of course:

"Most people" also don't make $750,000 a year much less relate to one who racks that much up on personal credit cards in one month. "Most people" also don't appreciate being called "whiners" for expressing the "real problems" they're going through, especially by those who rack up $750,000 on their credit cards.

And McCain needed to check with his staff about this?

Repeating it won't make it any more of an issue. You only risk showing yourself to be petty.

Of course:

"Most people" also don't make $750,000 a year much less relate to one who racks that much up on personal credit cards in one month. "Most people" also don't appreciate being called "whiners" for expressing the "real problems" they're going through, especially by those who rack up $750,000 on their credit cards.

Kinda like your candidate who believes that we're bitter and clinging to our guns and religion? Now which candidate is out of touch with most people?

Give me a break...

Great, its equivalent.

HuntsvilleTiger's own words: A house to John McCain is equal to a piece of silverware to normal Americans.

Wow, talk about out of context... and so what? To Barack and Michelle Obama $10,000.00 piano lessons for their daughters is a necessity... so is dealing with felons to get into their property "right"... Obama supporters are stupefying in their willful blindness...

Wow, I've REALLY got to start adding these: :drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa:

So now you're gonna play that off as sarcasm? I've read enough of your posts to see that for what it is, a deflection. Not buying it buddy.

For the rest of the Obamites, when you cease using your anal sphincter as a necklace, you might just get a clue.

As for what it takes to be an "elitist", I personally am not now, nor have I ever been rich (unless you use the Obama formula then I might come close) yet I have been called an elitist more than once. Why? Because I cannot abide stupidity, being in the very presence of it gives me a headache. This is the reason I try to stay away from Wal-Mart, buffet only restaurants, sports bars, conversations about sports, peace rallies, and unionized labor. Some say that makes me an elitist. So be it.

Of course:

Thanks for the nickname. If you say I am slick then I must be. Is the purpose of the president to be someone you can relate to? Do you think that having only one house would make him more electable? Do you think either of the candidates can relate to my or your economic hardships? Get real. Do I think that McCain is very rich...yes. What does that have to do with anything? I sincerely do not understand what the issue is.

If you think that he is too rich to be president just say so. If you think he is too stupid or senile to be president just say so. If you are just talking about some useless drivel to distract everyone from his vastly superior experience just say so.

The One is slip-sliding-away. Infatuation is fleeting. Desperation is setting in.

The thought of a McCain presidency scares the crap out of me; and it has nothing to do with his finances.

It has to do with his judgment and complete reversal of his previous, more centrist ideology. He's pandering more and more to the lunatics that line the right-wing fringe. He knows he can't win without them, so he's accepted the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach. The only thing is, I think that Bush's policies have been disastrous for America and McCain's continuation of them would be even worse.

Also, one reason why those opposed to him are making such a big deal out of his comments is the way the Kerrys were treated in 2004. The exact shoe is now on a different foot, with Republicans now claiming that it "doesn't matter" how rich he is. In part, they're correct. It doesn't matter how rich he is. What matters is that he is proving incapable of relating to common people as each day passes. $5 million is chump change to the McCain family, yet, he doesn't consider you "rich" until you hit that high mark? He owns so many homes that he can't even count them? Senility is not a prerequisite for the presidency.

The guy obviously shops for groceries with George H.W. Bush. Talk about out of touch.

The thought of a McCain presidency scares the crap out of me; and it has nothing to do with his finances.

It has to do with his judgment and complete reversal of his previous, more centrist ideology. He's pandering more and more to the lunatics that line the right-wing fringe. He knows he can't win without them, so he's accepted the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach. The only thing is, I think that Bush's policies have been disastrous for America and McCain's continuation of them would be even worse.

Also, one reason why those opposed to him are making such a big deal out of his comments is the way the Kerrys were treated in 2004. The exact shoe is now on a different foot, with Republicans now claiming that it "doesn't matter" how rich he is. In part, they're correct. It doesn't matter how rich he is. What matters is that he is proving incapable of relating to common people as each day passes. $5 million is chump change to the McCain family, yet, he doesn't consider you "rich" until you hit that high mark? He owns so many homes that he can't even count them? Senility is not a prerequisite for the presidency.

The guy obviously shops for groceries with George H.W. Bush. Talk about out of touch.

McCain scares you yet you open socialism with open arms. Interesting. You jump on Mccain for "flip-flopping" yet the only difference between he and obama on that issue is that obama has flipped flopped more and most of his have come in a matter of a few short months. Even more interesting.

McCain's "Housing Crisis" is about much more than a pampered candidate losing track of how many cribs he and his heiress wife own. McCain's wealth, while certainly on the upper edge of the spectrum, is not an anomaly among candidates. Indeed, both Clinton and Kerry, like McCain, rank among the top ten richest Senators. The purpose of McCain's "housing crisis" isn't to hold McCain's wealth against him. The man (re)married, and he (re)married well. But when McCain's lifestyle is held up against his policies, it serves to inform voters about his perspective and his judgment.

That McCain is divorced from the struggles of the American middle class has become patently obvious. In 2006, McCain made clear that he didn't think Americans could pick lettuce for $50 an hour (some $100,000 a year). In June of 2008, McCain couldn't remember the last time he actually had to pump gas, and he didn't answer the question as to what the price of gas was at the time. In the same month, while conceding that offshore drilling would not have an immediate effect on gas prices, McCain argued that drilling in such a manner would have a "psychological impact" that would be "beneficial." In other words, there would be no direct relief to the middle class, but it would make us feel as if "something"-albeit a meaningless "something"--was being done. I suppose if you don't have to pump your own gas, you can feel good about offshore drilling that doesn't lower the price of a gallon.

A month later, in July, we learned more about McCain's perspective when his friend and co-chair of his campaign, Phil Gramm, stated that America was a "nation of whiners" and that current economic woes reflected only a "mental recession." While McCain quickly distanced himself from the comments of his most trusted economic adviser, significantly, McCain did not withdraw or modify the economic plan that Gramm himself had crafted. In other words, while Gramm was quietly shoved to the sidelines of the campaign to ensure McCain's political survival, his economic plan, which reflects the view that America is a "nation of whiners," is still embraced wholeheartedly by John McCain.

And just what is that economic plan? Token tax cuts for those "whiners" while the wealthy receive true relief from the federal government. As detailed in the Washington Post several months ago:

[T]he Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution, Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain are both proposing tax plans that would result in cuts for most American families. Obama's plan gives the biggest cuts to those who make the least, while McCain would give the largest cuts to the very wealthy.

To see why McCain's "Housing Crisis" is so relevant, one need look no further than this graphic accompanying the Washington Post story:

GR2008061200193.gif

Note that 60% of taxpayers would see less than a 1% cut in taxes under the McCain/Gramm plan.

If McCain's plan mirrored that of Barack Obama--in other words, if his economic philosophy reflected the notion that the government should aid those Americans who need it the most, not those who need help the least--then whether McCain remembers if he owns one house or one dozen houses would be a simple campaign gaffe rather than a major story.

However, where, as here, a candidate's economic worldview is so skewed in favor of the super-rich, of those 147,000 families which make of the top .1% of taxpayers, and when that candidate's economic policy provides no real relief to millions of American families struggling to make ends meet in one home, then a gaffe becomes a inadvertent confession of irrelevancy.

Link

Of course:

How much of a raise did Michelle get at the hospital after an earmark from her Senator husband?

Speaking of the hospital how much campaign $$$$$ did Obama get from their friends who received contracts at the hospital?

Archived