McCain unsure how many houses he owns

RunInRed

Funny stuff, and I don't mean funny "ha-ha"...

I think the McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said it best, "Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses? Does a guy who worries about the price of arugula and thinks regular people 'cling' to guns and religion in the face of economic hardship really want to have a debate about who’s in touch with regular Americans?

“The reality is that Barack Obama’s plans to raise taxes and opposition to producing more energy here at home as gas prices skyrocket show he’s completely out of touch with the concerns of average Americans.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12685.html

Obama is an empty suit desperately seeking substance.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 house vs. 7 houses. How much do you have to make to be considered rich? McCain answer: $5MM. $500 loafers. Any questions?

Google Earth tour of the McCain residences (see for yourself): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Glia_Vrbc8&e

Yeah I have a question, Why don't you post the rest of McCain's response instead of the first line? You know where he immediately said, "No, but seriously, I don’t think you can, I don’t think seriously that the point is I’m trying to make, seriously, and I’m sure that comment will be distorted but the point is…that we want to keep people’s taxes low, and increase revenues. … So, it doesn’t matter really what my definition of rich is because I don’t want to raise anybody’s taxes. I really don’t."

Just like the 100 years comment that you and so many on the left took out of context. You sound worse than Alan Colmes.

Oh, yeah, don't let the fact that when Obama took a jab at him today he admitted that McCain was joking.

$500 loafers? How much do you think the suits that Obama wears everyday cost? I am sure that he buys Stafford from J.C. Penney's or George from Wal-Mart. :thumbsup:

How in the hell does anyone not know how many houses they own? All of this scurrying around to point out shares of stock, rentals vs condos, Rezko or the house Obama owns (which I'm sure he knows he owns it) are all just sleight of hand attempts to distract from the fact that either McCain doesn't know how many houses he owns or has some reason he doesn't want to say.

1 house vs. 7 houses. How much do you have to make to be considered rich? McCain answer: $5MM. $500 loafers. Any questions?

Google Earth tour of the McCain residences (see for yourself): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Glia_Vrbc8&e

Yeah I have a question, Why don't you post the rest of McCain's response instead of the first line? You know where he immediately said, "No, but seriously, I don’t think you can, I don’t think seriously that the point is I’m trying to make, seriously, and I’m sure that comment will be distorted but the point is…that we want to keep people’s taxes low, and increase revenues. … So, it doesn’t matter really what my definition of rich is because I don’t want to raise anybody’s taxes. I really don’t."

Just like the 100 years comment that you and so many on the left took out of context. You sound worse than Alan Colmes.

Oh, yeah, don't let the fact that when Obama took a jab at him today he admitted that McCain was joking.

$500 loafers? How much do you think the suits that Obama wears everyday cost? I am sure that he buys Stafford from J.C. Penney's or George from Wal-Mart. :thumbsup:

The fact remains that he was asked to give a number and spent two minutes not answering the question. He said $5 million so we're left to guess what the actual answer to the question is if that's not it.

How in the hell does anyone not know how many houses they own? All of this scurrying around to point out shares of stock, rentals vs condos, Rezko or the house Obama owns (which I'm sure he knows he owns it) are all just sleight of hand attempts to distract from the fact that either McCain doesn't know how many houses he owns or has some reason he doesn't want to say.

It's not sleight of hand at all. Don't you understand that the wealthy in this world do not know exactly what all investments they have? They hire firms to make investments for them. And he knew that if he was to answer the question and it be wrong that the media and left would jump all over him.

Like I said earlier, it's the equivalent of the working person not knowing how much Microsoft stock they own in their 401k. How hard is that to understand?

Hey Tiger Al.... how many pieces of silverware do you have in your house? Don't know? Why not? You must be an elitist if you don't know and there are people in this world that are having to use sporks! :no:

It's not sleight of hand at all. Don't you understand that the wealthy in this world do not know exactly what all investments they have? They hire firms to make investments for them. And he knew that if he was to answer the question and it be wrong that the media and left would jump all over him.

Like I said earlier, it's the equivalent of the working person not knowing how much Microsoft stock they own in their 401k. How hard is that to understand?

Hey Tiger Al.... how many pieces of silverware do you have in your house? Don't know? Why not? You must be an elitist if you don't know and there are people in this world that are having to use sporks! :no:

I'll play your game smartass. I have 16 pieces of silverware in my house; 4 knives, 4 teaspoons, 4 tablespoons, 4 dinner forks and 4 salad forks. How do I know that? Because I bought them. As for shares of Microsoft, it's not equivalent. While I may not know how many I own at any given time, more importantly, I know how many shares of Fidelity I own and which of those funds buy Microsoft. But, if a share of Microsoft cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars each, I guaran-damn-tee you I'd know how many I had and exactly where they were.

Also, McCain doesn't list income from housing rentals on his tax returns. He lists only his Senate salary, military disability pension and book royalties, which together were a little over $400,000 in 2007.

The fact remains that he was asked to give a number and spent two minutes not answering the question. He said $5 million so we're left to guess what the actual answer to the question is if that's not it.

Read past the first line. He said "No, but seriously, I don't think you can" which if you are not ignorant, and I believe you not to be, you know that he meant you can't define where the cut off point is between rich and middle class. A lot of economists will tell you the same thing. It was taken out of context as was the 100 year remark and the left continues to run with and only paint one side of the picture. No surprise there really. Even your boy Obama admitted that McCain was joking.

Where is the cutoff point? Can you accurately tell me? How is it that some that make less than $100K are better off than some of those that make more than $150K? Does that mean that the guy making $100K is rich too?

Again, his non-joking answer was "It doesn’t matter really what my definition of rich is because I don’t want to raise anybody’s taxes." Simply put, he answered the real question by stating that he is not raising taxes. Not too hard here.

I'll play your game smartass. I have 16 pieces of silverware in my house; 4 knives, 4 teaspoons, 4 tablespoons, 4 dinner forks and 4 salad forks. How do I know that? Because I bought them. As for shares of Microsoft, it's not equivalent. While I may not know how many I own at any given time, more importantly, I know how many shares of Fidelity I own and which of those funds buy Microsoft. But, if a share of Microsoft cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars each, I guaran-damn-tee you I'd know how many I had and exactly where they were.

Also, McCain doesn't list income from housing rentals on his tax returns. He lists only his Senate salary, military disability pension and book royalties, which together were a little over $400,000 in 2007.

4 knives, 4 teaspoons, 4 tablespoons, 4 dinner forks and 4 salad forks...let's see that's 20 by my count so you DON'T know how many pieces of silverware you have in your house....

And yes it is equivalent. His wealth compared to yours is greater and therefore the same things that you don't know about your investments/wealth are magnified in his case. hundreds of thousands of dollars are like tens of dollars to a normal person...

Great, its equivalent.

HuntsvilleTiger's own words: A house to John McCain is equal to a piece of silverware to normal Americans.

Great, its equivalent.

HuntsvilleTiger's own words: A house to John McCain is equal to a piece of silverware to normal Americans.

Can you read?????

They were talking about shares of Microsoft in a 401(k) portfolio compared to a wealthy person not knowing how much they have invested in real estate. :poke:

Great, its equivalent.

Wow, talk about out of context... and so what? To Barack and Michelle Obama $10,000.00 piano lessons for their daughters is a necessity... so is dealing with felons to get into their property "right"... Obama supporters are stupefying in their willful blindness...

Great, its equivalent.

Wow, talk about out of context... and so what? To Barack and Michelle Obama $10,000.00 piano lessons for their daughters is a necessity... so is dealing with felons to get into their property "right"... Obama supporters are stupefying in their willful blindness...

Wow, I've REALLY got to start adding these: :drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa::drippingsarcasm7pa:

Read past the first line. He said "No, but seriously, I don't think you can" which if you are not ignorant, and I believe you not to be, you know that he meant you can't define where the cut off point is between rich and middle class. A lot of economists will tell you the same thing. It was taken out of context as was the 100 year remark and the left continues to run with and only paint one side of the picture. No surprise there really. Even your boy Obama admitted that McCain was joking.

Where is the cutoff point? Can you accurately tell me? How is it that some that make less than $100K are better off than some of those that make more than $150K? Does that mean that the guy making $100K is rich too?

Well, if you're going to talk taxes, at some point you have to have definitions, which is what he was asked to give. Define "rich." If we're going to talk about how much income is taxed at what rate, meanings have to be assigned so we all know what we're talking about. McCain balked. Or joked. He seems to get away with not answering questions by giving some answer and following it with "just kidding" or "but, seriously."

Bottom line...7 houses....How many people in America can't tell you how many homes they own? If nothing else, it show he's old, rich, and out of touch. Shocker.

So who's the elitist, a guy who worked his way up from nothing or a guy who married into a $100MM?

Probably because it's not newsworthy. I realize that you think it is, but it's not. The glaring difference between the two is that, if asked if he REALLY thought there were fifty-seven states, Obama wouldn't continue to insist there were. McCain would. Like when he continued to angrily insist that, despite the facts, Ahmadenijad was the leader of Iran.

The biased Liberal media doesn't think it's news because it doesn't paint their guy in a good light. It's jsut that simple.

Imagine a situation where some one asked you how many houses you owned and you responded "I don't know." I mean, come on guys this is a tad ridiculous, even for an old senile man ;)

But that's not how it is, and you know it.

Imagine a situation where some one asked you how many houses you owned and you responded "I don't know." I mean, come on guys this is a tad ridiculous, even for an old senile man ;)

But that's not how it is, and you know it.

Then how is it? How does he not know how many houses he owns?

If someone asked you how much stock you own in Microsoft would you know? If you have a 401k I bet you probably don't know exactly where all that money is. It's the same thing. McCain's investments are on, I'll assume, a much larger scale than yours. Therefore he probably doesn't know how much land/home/rentals he owns the same as you most likely don't know exactly where and how much stock in each company your investments are at.

On top of that, if he had said that he had 6 homes or whatever number and it was found that he owned 20 homes (only 6 of which he and his family actually use and the others are investments/rentals) the left would be howling about how he "lied" about it when it could be as simple as he answered truthfully to how many they own/use.

A person can lead a wealthy lifestyle and still not be an elitist. It's the attitude of the person that defines their elitism.

:dance:

Here's how -

Here's the skinny from Politifact.com

First off, it would be more accurate to say McCain’s wife owns most of their seven houses.

The McCains’ property is mostly in the name of Cindy McCain, chairwoman Hensley & Co, a huge Anheuser-Busch beer distributorship that was founded by her parents. Records show she owns residences across the country.

1. The largest home is a creekside ranch near Sedona, Ariz., spread over more than six acres. That’s where McCain entertained vice presidential prospects, including Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, over Memorial Day weekend. Records show it includes three houses and is worth about $1.1-million. The owner is listed as the Cindy Hensley McCain Family Trust.

2. In nearby Phoenix, Cindy McCain owns two combined condo units worth about $1.7-million. They’re part of the Residences at 2211 Camelback, which bills itself as “The Valley of the Sun’s finest example of life beyond the expected” at “the most preferred urban residential address in the prestigious Camelback Corridor.”

3. In Arlington, Va., the McCains live in a three-bedroom high-rise condo worth $847,800, property records show.

4. They also own a condo in La Jolla, Calif., that’s worth more than $1-million. The building overlooks a park and the Pacific Ocean.

Records also link the McCains to three other residences.

5. An Arizona company called Wild River Rental LLC, which records show is owned by Cindy McCain, is listed as the owner of Phoenix condo worth more than half a million dollars. The McCains bought the condo for their daughter Meghan, according to a story in GQ magazine and confirmed through a public records search. The reporter compared the inside to “a spaceship furnished by West Elm. There’s a giant silver chimney that extends out of her fireplace into the ceiling about twenty feet above.”

6. and 7. Dream Catcher Family LLC, a domestic corporation formed by the McCain family, owns two condos in a beachfront complex in Coronado, Calif. Tax records show one is valued at $2.7-million. The other was purchased this year, according to sales records. A sales price was not available.

Though the Obama campaign forgot to mention that it’s actually McCain’s wealthy wife who owns most of the property, we’ll overlook the legal status to say the implication is correct. They’re right in saying that McCain has seven homes in five cities and three states.

We rule the statement True.

The question asked was this:

How many houses do you and Mrs. McCain have?

Here's how -

Here's the skinny from Politifact.com

First off, it would be more accurate to say McCain’s wife owns most of their seven houses.

The McCains’ property is mostly in the name of Cindy McCain, chairwoman Hensley & Co, a huge Anheuser-Busch beer distributorship that was founded by her parents. Records show she owns residences across the country.

1. The largest home is a creekside ranch near Sedona, Ariz., spread over more than six acres. That’s where McCain entertained vice presidential prospects, including Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, over Memorial Day weekend. Records show it includes three houses and is worth about $1.1-million. The owner is listed as the Cindy Hensley McCain Family Trust.

2. In nearby Phoenix, Cindy McCain owns two combined condo units worth about $1.7-million. They’re part of the Residences at 2211 Camelback, which bills itself as “The Valley of the Sun’s finest example of life beyond the expected” at “the most preferred urban residential address in the prestigious Camelback Corridor.”

3. In Arlington, Va., the McCains live in a three-bedroom high-rise condo worth $847,800, property records show.

4. They also own a condo in La Jolla, Calif., that’s worth more than $1-million. The building overlooks a park and the Pacific Ocean.

Records also link the McCains to three other residences.

5. An Arizona company called Wild River Rental LLC, which records show is owned by Cindy McCain, is listed as the owner of Phoenix condo worth more than half a million dollars. The McCains bought the condo for their daughter Meghan, according to a story in GQ magazine and confirmed through a public records search. The reporter compared the inside to “a spaceship furnished by West Elm. There’s a giant silver chimney that extends out of her fireplace into the ceiling about twenty feet above.”

6. and 7. Dream Catcher Family LLC, a domestic corporation formed by the McCain family, owns two condos in a beachfront complex in Coronado, Calif. Tax records show one is valued at $2.7-million. The other was purchased this year, according to sales records. A sales price was not available.

Though the Obama campaign forgot to mention that it’s actually McCain’s wealthy wife who owns most of the property, we’ll overlook the legal status to say the implication is correct. They’re right in saying that McCain has seven homes in five cities and three states.

We rule the statement True.

BUT BUT BUT... elitism is an attitude. Didn't you get that memo, Tex?

If you're a polished orator, you're an elitist. If you have to check with your minder to see how many homes you own, why, you're a golly good 'ol fella who is only senile because of love for his country and a fierce streak of independence. Yeah, that's it!

If you're a polished orator, you're an elitist. If you have to check with your minder to see how many homes you own, why, you're a golly good 'ol fella who is only senile because of love for his country and a fierce streak of independence. Yeah, that's it!

They called Kerry a gigolo and had a fit over the homes owned by his wife. Hypocrisy at its worst.

They called Kerry a gigolo and had a fit over the homes owned by his wife. Hypocrisy at its worst.

Hypocrisy both ways, right? The shoe is just on the other foot now.

Archived