Trotter ready if needed

WAR-MATT

Link

July 7, 2008

Bryan Matthews

AuburnSports.com Publisher

Talk about it in The Bunker

Tony Franklin has no illusions about playing quarterback in the SEC, calling it the toughest position for an incoming freshman to play.

But Barrett Trotter is not your everyday true freshman.

"He's been in the offense for three years so he's not like a normal freshman coming in," said Franklin, Auburn's first-year offensive coordinator. "He knows everything right now and the only thing he has to do is adjust to the speed."

T.G. Paschal - Rivals.com

Trotter threw for 3,469 yards and 47 TD's as a senior.

Birmingham's Briarwood Christian installed the Franklin spread offense a few years ago and Trotter has mastered it over the last three seasons, throwing for 7,968 career yards and 88 touchdowns.

Since arriving a month ago, Trotter has already made a big impression on many of Auburn's veterans. Senior wide receiver Robert Dunn called Trotter one of the biggest surprises this summer.

"Just coming in and stepping on the field the first day of 7-on-7's and knowing the plays and being able to walk up there and call them, that makes a big difference and is a big help," said Trotter. "I think it surprised some people for a freshman quarterback to come in and do that."

Trotter has certainly caught the eye of junior quarterback Chris Todd.

"I like Barrett a lot," said Todd. "He's a real good guy and real knowledgeable. He has a good, live arm. He listens and learns a lot. I try to help him out as much as I can."

Heading into the fall, Todd and sophomore Kodi Burns are locked in a battle for starting quarterback position. At the very least, Trotter wants to make sure he's ready if needed.

"I think it's just going to depend on how Chris and Kodi do and how I do as well," said Trotter. "If they step up and do the job they need to do, they'll be able to lead the team.

"At the same time, if they need me to step in at any point, hopefully I'll be ready for that."

With Todd close to being fully recovered from the shoulder issues that plagued him in the spring and Burns apparently putting behind the inconsistencies he experienced as a true freshman last year -- completing just 38.5 percent of his passes -- it appears unlikely Trotter will be needed this fall.

But if Todd's shoulder issues crop back up or Burns falters, Franklin knows he has at least one more option he can depend on.

"I wouldn't be shocked if (Trotter) played," said Franklin.

We hope you enjoyed this free update from AuburnSports.com. This is just a small sample of the in-depth coverage we provide every day on Auburn sports and recruiting. If you enjoyed this article but want a little or even a lot more, now is the perfect time to join AuburnSports.com by signing up for our 7-DAY FREE TRIAL.

Our Ultimate Ticket Annual subscription now includes a one-year, 56-issue subscription to Sports Illustrated, along with free text alerts, about $20 off the monthly rate and automatic gold membership status.

Check out more of our free content:

Lipscomb a man of his word

Construction moving a fast pace

Pawlowski a good hire for Auburn

Well if he is so spectacular, why is Neil Caudle ahead of him on the depth chart?

IMO this is a nice kid that has a good attitude and would be a decent backup. I really don't see him being a factor on the field on game days anytime in the future. I think it's great that he knows the offense, but something about him just doesn't make me say "Wow, this kid is going to be a great college QB." I hope he proves me wrong in the future. Hopefully he won't be needed at all during the next two years.

Well if he is so spectacular, why is Neil Caudle ahead of him on the depth chart?

IMO this is a nice kid that has a good attitude and would be a decent backup. I really don't see him being a factor on the field on game days anytime in the future. I think it's great that he knows the offense, but something about him just doesn't make me say "Wow, this kid is going to be a great college QB." I hope he proves me wrong in the future. Hopefully he won't be needed at all during the next two years.

"Trotter threw for 3,469 yards and 47 TD's as a senior.

Birmingham's Briarwood Christian installed the Franklin spread offense a few years ago and Trotter has mastered it over the last three seasons, throwing for 7,968 career yards and 88 touchdowns."

That leads me to think he at least has a better than average chance to do very well at the college level in the same offense run by CTF, who has mastered the in's and out's of coaching that offense. IMO

Also, how often do they come out with a new depth chart? All of this may have taken place since the last one was put out.

Someone can definitely correct me on this one, but I thought BT was in Spring Practice. The latest depth chart is based on Spring practice. Since coaches are not allowed to practice with the kids between then and August, that would make it the latest and only depth chart until August. And that would include BT's play.

Again, stats can be very misleading. You can have great stats and not be a good collegiate player. I'm not saying he isn't good for this offense. It is just that in my opinion, he is not the caliber of Kodi Burns. I personally think DeRon Furr would've had a better option at QB than BT. But he is moving to the secondary. Maybe this is to give up more snaps for BT to gain experience, I am not sure.

I am hoping BT is the greatest player to ever play the game. I say that about every QB, or any player for that matter, that wears an Auburn uniform. You get feelings about certain players being stars and others not. This kid just reminds me a lot of when Neil Caudle was brought in. I was not jumping for joy when Neil signed on. I got excited over Kodi Burns when he signed on. I just don't see any significant contribution on game day by BT.

These are all opinions and nothing more. It is just that in the past, for myself, when I get excited about a player he tends to do well. When I don't get excited about a player, it is rare he makes a difference (Quentin Groves was one of them).

I think Furr asked to move so that he can contribute sooner. I don't think it is a conspiracy to push BT.

Someone can definitely correct me on this one, but I thought BT was in Spring Practice. The latest depth chart is based on Spring practice. Since coaches are not allowed to practice with the kids between then and August, that would make it the latest and only depth chart until August. And that would include BT's play.

Again, stats can be very misleading. You can have great stats and not be a good collegiate player. I'm not saying he isn't good for this offense. It is just that in my opinion, he is not the caliber of Kodi Burns. I personally think DeRon Furr would've had a better option at QB than BT. But he is moving to the secondary. Maybe this is to give up more snaps for BT to gain experience, I am not sure.

I am hoping BT is the greatest player to ever play the game. I say that about every QB, or any player for that matter, that wears an Auburn uniform. You get feelings about certain players being stars and others not. This kid just reminds me a lot of when Neil Caudle was brought in. I was not jumping for joy when Neil signed on. I got excited over Kodi Burns when he signed on. I just don't see any significant contribution on game day by BT.

These are all opinions and nothing more. It is just that in the past, for myself, when I get excited about a player he tends to do well. When I don't get excited about a player, it is rare he makes a difference (Quentin Groves was one of them).

The article is dated July 7th and it says "Since arriving a month ago, Trotter has already made a big impression on many of Auburn's veterans.", which would mean he arrived in June. Was the article written July 7th, or is that just when they gave free access to it?

Totter was NOT on campus for spring drills. He was attending his Senior Prom or somesuch.

DeRon Furr/Chris Todd all got a leg up on Barrett Trotter this spring.

Fortunately, Trotter already has the X's and O's figured correctly.

I'll be surprised if Neil Caudle ever sees the field in an AU uniform from here on out. No offense to him.

Totter was NOT on campus for spring drills. He was attending his Senior Prom or somesuch.

I'll be surprised if Neil Caudle ever sees the field in an AU uniform from here on out. No offense to him.

Furr moved to defense, yes?

:au::homer:

stat or someone else can correct me but i think i read that only 25% of QB's signed actually start a game.

I stand corrected on the BT being here at Spring Practice.

I still don't think he'll be lucky enough to get tackled by a mean old nasty SEC LB or DL - and that isn't because our OL is that spectacular.

I saw this kid play at Briarwood and make no mistake about it, he can play! He understands the spread and he's quick and smart. The only downside I see is his size. He's pushing it to be 6-1. Hope he does well and if he can't make it at QB, he would be a great safety. :cheer:

Furr moved to defense, yes?

:au::homer:

Yes. At his own request, I might add.

I disagree. Caudle is a good player. He's probably not a great player, but he's a guy who can make a difference. I think he's an above average QB - about like Brandon.

I certainly think Caudle will get some PT this year. I think the La. Monroe game will be split three ways pretty evenly between Burns, Todd, and Caudle. Caudle will play against several teams this year, not just because we'll be running more plays, but also because the spread requires more than 2 viable QBs. Caudle's stats in the spring were pretty good except for his turnover ratio, which he significantly reduced by the end of spring. In complete honesty, I wouldn't be worried much if Caudle had to step in and play in a big game. I think he knows the Offense well enough.

Ryan

Trotter has the perfect attitude for a backup, stay ready and it's icing on the cake if you see playing time. Rare for a good QB like him who would start immediately w/ a scholly @ UNA, Troy, etc.

HS players w/ gaudy stats, even if they move into the same system in college, have only been successful at the high school level against h.s defenses. Period.

PC.. You are way out of bounds. No one said that he is spectacular. RDunn and the author said that he is "surprising" and the author quoted some articles that gave his HS stats.

Trotter has been on campus since June 1 and only been doing the 7 on 7 drills. My guess is that the next depth chart will be released about one week before the first game. "Speculators" are spreading rumors that NC will xfer.

NC is an AU Man. He is where he wants to be and AU is where he wants to get his education. That may be hard for the uaters to understand...you know...Loyalty.....

Archived