An Army of One

rexbo

An Army of One

Interviews with a wide variety of current and retired military officials reveal that Clark was disliked by only three groups: Those whom ranked above him in the chain of command whom he ignored, his peers at the same rank whom he lied to, and those serving beneath him whom he micromanaged. Other than that, everyone liked him.

Is it requisite that you be liked by your co-workers in order to run for president? If not, then what's the authors point?

I think the question that begs asking is: if this is true, how would you expect Clark to be able to work with Congress and leaders of other countries if pretty much no one who works with him for a sustained period of time can stand the way he leads?

Is it requisite that you be liked by your co-workers in order to run for president? If not, then what's the authors point?

He can't be manipulated like our current president and THAT'S BAD!! A lot of great leaders were despised by those around him but it didn't stop their effectiveness. Wes Clark has been nothing but an effective leader his entire life. There's no history of abandoning his military duty. He was a decorated war hero, unlike the current president who couldn't even fulfill his duty domestically. He led NATO troops in Bosnia and went against the wishes of the Pentagon to use extensive air strikes on the enemy, a tactic that was mimicked at the Start of this war. Under his leadership, America didn't have a single casualty in the Bosnian war!! Yes, he's hated by many but his effectiveness as a leader is questioned by none!!

All I'm saying is...for all the liberal rhetoric about how obstinant Bush is, how his "leadership style" is abrasive toward those who don't agree with him, I fail to see how Clark would be any different. It sounds like he's as much of a "go it alone", "my way or the highway" guy as they make Bush out to be.

All I'm saying is...for all the liberal rhetoric about how obstinant Bush is, how his "leadership style" is abrasive toward those who don't agree with him, I fail to see how Clark would be any different. It sounds like he's as much of a "go it alone", "my way or the highway" guy as they make Bush out to be.

Who knows? He did work well with our allies in the Bosnian War, even as he clashed with our own state department. In Hindsight, I don't think anyone in that state department would today say the way he went about the Bosnian War was wrong though.

His way seems to be involving others (NATO) in the business of going to war. Sounds like the right way to me.

"Some critics have said our duties in Iraq must be internationalized. This particular criticism is hard to explain to our partners in Britain, Australia, Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, Italy, Spain, Poland, Denmark, Hungary, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Romania, the Netherlands, Norway, El Salvador, and the 17 other countries that have committed troops to Iraq. As we debate at home, we must never ignore the vital contributions of our international partners, or dismiss their sacrifices. From the beginning, America has sought international support for operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, and we have gained much support. There is a difference, however, between leading a coalition of many nations, and submitting to the objections of a few. America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people." --President George W. Bush

;)

Yep, sounds good in a speech and looks good on paper but exactly how many troops have those other "participants" provided?

His way seems to be involving others (NATO) in the business of going to war. Sounds like the right way to me.

"Some critics have said our duties in Iraq must be internationalized. This particular criticism is hard to explain to our partners in Britain, Australia, Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, Italy, Spain, Poland, Denmark, Hungary, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Romania, the Netherlands, Norway, El Salvador, and the 17 other countries that have committed troops to Iraq. As we debate at home, we must never ignore the vital contributions of our international partners, or dismiss their sacrifices. From the beginning, America has sought international support for operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, and we have gained much support. There is a difference, however, between leading a coalition of many nations, and submitting to the objections of a few. America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people." --President George W. Bush

;)

The Coalition of the Willing was nothing but a joke perpetrated to give the allusion that it wasn't a unilateral decsion made by the Bush administration. Other than American and British troops, there aren't enough other troops to mount one successful military operation. Why do you think "and 17 others" is always mentioned?

Here's a list of the coalition of the willing. BTW, Australia and Turkey had their arms twisted by the White House before reluctantly joining. Turkey refused America access through their territory for the Northern Iraq invasion and Australia sent a total of 850 men!! Most of these nations don't even have troops to send to Iraq. I guess they're willing but just ain't able!!

Coalition of the Willing?

In an effort to counter criticism that an invasion of Iraq represents a largely unilateral decision by the U.S., the State Department yesterday released a list of 30 countries that have agreed to be named publicly as members of a ''coalition of the willing'' in support of the U.S. plan, while identifying about 15 others that have given their backing privately.

....Aside from Britain, Australia, Denmark, and Poland, the others are: Afghanistan, Albania, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, the Czech Republic, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, the Philippines, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey and Uzbekistan......

.....State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said the basic criterion for inclusion on the published list was that the countries wanted to be publicly associated with the idea that Iraq has to be disarmed now but are not necessarily providing any assistance to the U.S. war effort.

Ironically, Saddam Hussein was supposed to be an imminent threat to his neighbors but Kuwait was the only Arab Nation willing to join the coalition.

Notice in that list of other countries that there are some conspicuously missing names? Remember, Bush said that Iraq was an imminent threat not only to the US, but to his neighbors as well. Where's Iran? Saudi Arabia? Kuwait? Jordan? Egypt? Syria? Turkey? Bahrain? UAE? Yemen? Oman? These were his neighbors who were being threatened by the WMD's that he possessed and, if true, would've been more than happy to kick him out. They helped in Desert Storm. Why do you think they'd sit out now when so much was at stake?

Well, not necessarily, but respected, yes. And it doesn't sound like he was too well respected...

Well, not necessarily, but respected, yes. And it doesn't sound like he was too well respected...

I was watching C-Span Saturday night and they were showing Clark's wife, Gert, doing some campaigning for him in SC. She had with her a retired four star general and a colonel and a sergeant major and all of them had served with him and had nothing but good things to say. I guess any of us could find people to fill both camps if we wanted to. Except me. You couldn't find anyone who'd have a negative thing to say!!! Ooops, my nose grew, too! :D

Archived