Capt. Crunch added to USA staff

WAR-MATT

Kurt Crain to you newbies. B)

Kurt Crain added to Jaguar coaching staff.

“I am tickled to death to add Coach Crain to our staff,” Jones said of the hiring of the new Jag assistant. “He brings wealth of knowledge from his time in the SEC, at TCU and Troy. One of the things that I really love the most about him is that he is a down to earth guy who loves to coach college kids. He is also one heck of a recruiter.”

Crain will coach the linebackers at South Alabama.

“I am very excited to have the opportunity to coach with Head Coach Joey Jones and the rest of the staff,” Crain said. “I know it’s going to be exciting to go to work everyday at South Alabama because all the coaches are proven, dedicated coaches. I am also looking forward to helping start the program and build it into something South Alabama fans can be proud of.”

During his collegiate career at Auburn, Crain earned Associated Press All-American honors as a linebacker in 1987 and lettered for the Tigers 1985-87. He was a member of the 1987 Southeastern Conference Championship team under then-head coach Pat Dye and was a two-time all-conference selection (1986-87). Selected as team captain his senior season, he finished his collegiate career with 324 tackles, four sacks and seven interceptions. In each of his final two seasons at Auburn, the Tigers recorded a Top-10 finish, ending the 1986 campaign ranked sixth in the final AP Poll and seventh in the final AP Poll in 1987.

Following his time on the Plains, Crain was drafted by the Houston Oilers played two seasons in the NFL, spending time with both the Oilers and the Green Bay Packers.

He began his coaching career as a Graduate Assistant Coach at Auburn in the early ‘90’s. After two years with the Tigers, Crain moved on to Troy University where he coached the linebackers for a season under Larry Blakeney. Crain then spent the 1992 season at TCU with Pat Sullivan, coaching the outside linebackers. Following his stint with the Horned Frogs, Crain returned to his alma mater. While at Auburn, he coached the Tiger defensive line from 1993-95 and then moved to the outside linebackers in 1996.

Earlier this season, Crain was hired as the defensive coordinator for the All-American Football League team in Birmingham, Ala., but he will now join the Jaguar staff.

Aha...WM. You are a newbie, too. For the original "Captain Krunch" was Mike Kolen, who graduated Auburn in 1969. Mike played linebacker at Auburn from 1967 to 1969. He was nicknamed "Captain Krunch" because of his ability to hit people hard. Mike was a two-time All-SEC linebacker, on the All Century Team, and went on to an outstanding career with the Miami Dolphins. He was a member of the 1972 Dolphins' World Championship Team!

I prescribe the Auburn Legends Reunion.

What has Crain been doing the last 12 years? 1996 was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure he's been living in Auburn or Opelika cause his son is a baseball prospect at one of those schools. Someone refresh my memory..what school does/did Crain go to? Has he graduated? and did he sign with Auburn or some other college?

Aha...WM. You are a newbie, too. For the original "Captain Krunch" was Mike Kolen, who graduated Auburn in 1969. Mike played linebacker at Auburn from 1967 to 1969. He was nicknamed "Captain Krunch" because of his ability to hit people hard. Mike was a two-time All-SEC linebacker, on the All Century Team, and went on to an outstanding career with the Miami Dolphins. He was a member of the 1972 Dolphins' World Championship Team!

I'll second that and add that he is a great human being.

Not to take anything away from Kurt Crain, who was an outstanding linebacker.

thank you sir may i have another. B) how about capt. crunch jr?

I gotta side with my peers (i.e., the other old fossils like me)--Kurt Crain was great, but the one and only real Captain Krunch at AU was Mike Kolen!

But Crain at South Alabama will make me a little more interested in their team. I still don't think this state needs five Div 1A football teams, however.

Yep. I'll always remember that devastating hit he leveled on an Alabama receiver in the closing minutes of the Iron Bowl, forcing a fumble. That hit put the game on ice. What year was that?

Yep. I'll always remember that devastating hit he leveled on an Alabama receiver in the closing minutes of the Iron Bowl, forcing a fumble. That hit put the game on ice. What year was that?

Is that the game where bama pulled a real boner and threw a swing pass to the FB (Scissum?)

Is that the game where bama pulled a real boner and threw a swing pass to the FB (Scissum?)

SCISSUM was '97

the Crain hit/fumble was the '87 iron bowl

Archived