Brandon Cox

WAR-MATT

BC

Cox moves on after football

Former Auburn quarterback looking forward to season as a fan

Sunday, June 29, 2008By TOMMY HICKSSports Reporter

GULF SHORES — Brandon Cox picked up another win against Alabama on Saturday.

OK, so this wasn't the Iron Bowl and he wasn't playing quarterback. Heck, he isn't even at Auburn anymore. But that didn't stop him from enjoying the achievement and the day as the celebrity member of his all-Auburn golf team — the only Auburn team in the event, teammate Robert Craft was quick to point out — in the AC Celebrity golf tournament at Craft Farms' Cotton Creek Golf Club.

Cox is one of only two Auburn quarterbacks to end his career with a 3-0 record against in-state rival Alabama, joining Jason Campbell. The left-hander is also part of the winningest senior class in Auburn history, a class that produced 50 victories.

The Auburn team in Saturday's tournament — which also included former Auburn standout golfers John Wright and Rick Gehr — managed 15 birdies and three eagles to post 21-under for the day.

The other teams were headlined mostly by former Alabama players such as Don McNeal, Roger Shultz, Joey Jones, Andrew Zow, Antonio Carter, Barry Krauss, Tony Nathan, Murray Legg, Neil Callaway and host Jeremiah Castille.

Cox has adopted a new frame of mind since his football career ended. He said he is glad to be in the next phase of his life and is looking forward to the upcoming football season as a fan.

"It wasn't long enough, and it was too long," Cox said about his college career. "I enjoyed it, though."

Of all the moments in his time on the Plains, Cox has some favorites.

"Growing up an Alabama fan and going to Auburn, I'd say never losing to Alabama is something I'll always remember and always be proud of," he said. "We had some good teams."

These days Cox is working in orthopedic sales for Mitek in Birmingham, a new venture the Trussville native says he is enjoying. He will leave for Boston in a couple of weeks for 14 days of training, then return to Birmingham to continue learning more about his job, arriving in town just in time for preseason practices to begin on college campuses.

He said he'll miss his teammates and the competition, but he was ready to step away from the game he had played since he was 5 years old.

"Football had always been a part of my life," he said. "I was ready to get away from it. It's tough (realizing he won't play this season), but it's good to be on the other side of it. This season is going to be different. I'll be sitting in the stands, and I won't be able to control anything that goes on. I won't be able to help them, to go out there and be a part of trying to win the game."

Last season, Cox threw for 2,080 yards and nine touchdowns en route to his third straight win over Alabama and a Chick-fil-A Bowl win.

"I'll always be part of the Auburn family," Cox said, "and I'll always enjoy that."

BC

Cox moves on after football

Former Auburn quarterback looking forward to season as a fan

Sunday, June 29, 2008By TOMMY HICKSSports Reporter

GULF SHORES — Brandon Cox picked up another win against Alabama on Saturday.

OK, so this wasn't the Iron Bowl and he wasn't playing quarterback. Heck, he isn't even at Auburn anymore. But that didn't stop him from enjoying the achievement and the day as the celebrity member of his all-Auburn golf team — the only Auburn team in the event, teammate Robert Craft was quick to point out — in the AC Celebrity golf tournament at Craft Farms' Cotton Creek Golf Club.

Cox is one of only two Auburn quarterbacks to end his career with a 3-0 record against in-state rival Alabama, joining Jason Campbell. The left-hander is also part of the winningest senior class in Auburn history, a class that produced 50 victories.

The Auburn team in Saturday's tournament — which also included former Auburn standout golfers John Wright and Rick Gehr — managed 15 birdies and three eagles to post 21-under for the day.

The other teams were headlined mostly by former Alabama players such as Don McNeal, Roger Shultz, Joey Jones, Andrew Zow, Antonio Carter, Barry Krauss, Tony Nathan, Murray Legg, Neil Callaway and host Jeremiah Castille.

Cox has adopted a new frame of mind since his football career ended. He said he is glad to be in the next phase of his life and is looking forward to the upcoming football season as a fan.

"It wasn't long enough, and it was too long," Cox said about his college career. "I enjoyed it, though."

Of all the moments in his time on the Plains, Cox has some favorites.

"Growing up an Alabama fan and going to Auburn, I'd say never losing to Alabama is something I'll always remember and always be proud of," he said. "We had some good teams."

These days Cox is working in orthopedic sales for Mitek in Birmingham, a new venture the Trussville native says he is enjoying. He will leave for Boston in a couple of weeks for 14 days of training, then return to Birmingham to continue learning more about his job, arriving in town just in time for preseason practices to begin on college campuses.

He said he'll miss his teammates and the competition, but he was ready to step away from the game he had played since he was 5 years old.

"Football had always been a part of my life," he said. "I was ready to get away from it. It's tough (realizing he won't play this season), but it's good to be on the other side of it. This season is going to be different. I'll be sitting in the stands, and I won't be able to control anything that goes on. I won't be able to help them, to go out there and be a part of trying to win the game."

Last season, Cox threw for 2,080 yards and nine touchdowns en route to his third straight win over Alabama and a Chick-fil-A Bowl win.

"I'll always be part of the Auburn family," Cox said, "and I'll always enjoy that."

War Eagle, Brandon. I'll never forget the wins over Bamar...and I'll never forget that pass on 4th down against UGA.... :)

:au::homer:

I met Brandon on the "WaMart" cruise out of Mobile a couple of months ago. Played roulette with him half the morning on day.....it's a shame all the people that cussed him never got to meet him. He will do well in life.

My brother golfed with John Croyle a couple of weeks ago in a celebrity golf tournament. BC was the group ahead of them. He asked BC for a picture and he gave him one. He asked him for a thumbs up, but was turned down. He was supposed to ask John Croyle this, but he was mistaken and asked BC instead. I was a little disappointed BC didn't give the thumbs up. But it was still nice of him to take a picture with my bro

My brother golfed with John Croyle a couple of weeks ago in a celebrity golf tournament. BC was the group ahead of them. He asked BC for a picture and he gave him one. He asked him for a thumbs up, but was turned down. He was supposed to ask John Croyle this, but he was mistaken and asked BC instead. I was a little disappointed BC didn't give the thumbs up. But it was still nice of him to take a picture with my bro

Would he not give the peace sign, say that shot was "rad", or wear a purple jump suit either? The thumbs up has been on its way out for a while.

j/k w/you PC

Would he not give the peace sign, say that shot was "rad", or wear a purple jump suit either? The thumbs up has been on its way out for a while.

j/k w/you PC

*HIGH FIVE*

(Which ironically I also asked my brother to give John boy / BC but it didn't happen. Good thing my brother isn't a car salesman)

B Cox never did have a strong arm and he lost mobility after those injuries. Can't fault him for that......he read defenses and audibled well...just didn't have enough weapons to help overcome his physical limitations. The man was absolutely committed to AU and gave all he had. The pain he played with during the 2006 season was awful. As he said......He will always be a part of the AU family.

He was one gutsy qb.

If Brandon works half as hard in his new profession as he did as Auburn's QB, the sky will be the limit for him. I'll bet Dr. Greg Carr in Birmingham will be one of his best customers!

Great article WAR-MATT! Thanks.

He was one gutsy qb.

If Brandon works half as hard in his new profession as he did as Auburn's QB, the sky will be the limit for him. I'll bet Dr. Greg Carr in Birmingham will be one of his best customers!

Great article WAR-MATT! Thanks.

welcome aboard. post often...

After the Ole Miss game this past year he signed my 14 year old daughter's #12 jersey and got his picture with her. Only a couple of minutes to him but something she will never forget. That jersey is on my wall in our Auburn room now along with other great Auburn memories. While waiting on him to get to my daughter I spoke with Brandon's mom and told her that we never booed him and we were very proud of him and this was the same guy that lead the SEC's most productive offense in 05. She said thanks and she was glad to hear some of us still supported Brandon. This was the night he tweaked his shoulder and I did not see him turn anyone away.

To me Brandon Cox will always bring two things to mind, 1.) The '06 LSU game, and 2.) Confidence the we can win on any SEC road trip.

I don't think any other Auburn QB that I can remember could say that they performed as well after taking such a beating and being counted out on numerous occasions. How many times did we hear the talking heads blah, blah about AU and Cox being outmatched on the road and yet we'd go in and Brandon and company would get the W. I wouldn't be surprised if you Googled "Road Warrior" and found him referenced.

War Eagle Brandon and Best of Luck in all you do in the future!!!

After the Ole Miss game this past year he signed my 14 year old daughter's #12 jersey and got his picture with her. Only a couple of minutes to him but something she will never forget. That jersey is on my wall in our Auburn room now along with other great Auburn memories. While waiting on him to get to my daughter I spoke with Brandon's mom and told her that we never booed him and we were very proud of him and this was the same guy that lead the SEC's most productive offense in 05. She said thanks and she was glad to hear some of us still supported Brandon. This was the night he tweaked his shoulder and I did not see him turn anyone away.

I'm sure your daughter enjoyed that. He's "popular" with the ladies.

Brandon's a great guy for the most part. Being the QB at a school like Auburn has its perks, but it isn't always easy. There's a lot of crap you have to put up with.

One of the winningest QBs in school history (might be THE winningest) 3-0 against UAT (something only he and JC have accomplished). Brandon Cox knows how to win that's really all you need to say about the guy.

Brandon related but a little off topic.

Coach Van Pettaway, the mens basketball coach at Alabama A&M is my next door neighbor and he just gave my 3 old a 14x20 framed pic of Brandon taken from the MPR during the Iron Bowl. He's in the act of throwing with #94 from bammer in his face. At the bottom left of the pic there's a smaller pic of CTT celebrating the win. He was scheduled to fish with CTT in some charity tournament and he was going to get it autographed for my lil one. But CTT's hernia surgery forced him to cancel. Either way it's a cool pic and CVP is as good of man as we all know CTT is and I wanted to share it with everyone. War Coach Pettaway!!!!

Coach Van Pettaway, the mens basketball coach at Alabama A&M is my next door neighbor and he just gave my 3 old a 14x20 framed pic of Brandon taken from the MPR during the Iron Bowl. He's in the act of throwing with #94 from bammer in his face. At the bottom left of the pic there's a smaller pic of CTT celebrating the win. He was scheduled to fish with CTT in some charity tournament and he was going to get it autographed for my lil one. But CTT's hernia surgery forced him to cancel. Either way it's a cool pic and CVP is as good of man as we all know CTT is and I wanted to share it with everyone. War Coach Pettaway!!!!

haha if the Pettaway's still live where they used to, you must live right next to my friends. Timberwind?

haha if the Pettaway's still live where they used to, you must live right next to my friends. Timberwind?

You got it.

He will always have my respect

Kicked our butt in '05 and played throughout his career with that disease which must have made it HELL to go through

Archived