Who has served?

MDM4AU

Obviously we have some board members that have served in the military or are currently serving. My family and I thank all of you for your service. I tried but do to medical conditions I was unable to join.

That being said, who on here is serving or has served and what branch? How long?

Again, thanks for your service!

Obviously we have some board members that have served in the military or are currently serving.  My family and I thank all of you for your service.  I tried but do to medical conditions I was unable to join.

That being said, who on here is serving or has served and what branch?  How long?

Again, thanks for your service!

Like you, I was also unable to serve. I had an education to get and received a student deferrment.

US Army 1982-1986 and Army National Guard after that. Most recently (1998) I was assigned to the 20th Special Forces Group in Auburn going through the selection process to go to SF training at Ft. Bragg but when my wife got pregnant the first time I had to can that idea because my training would've lasted over a year in different places. I was happy and disappointed at once.

US Coast Guard 1969 - 1973 Stationed in Alameda, Calif, New York City, Juneau, Alaska, and Mobile, Al.

Air National Guard 1983 - 1987 Gulfport, MS

US Coast Guard 1969 - 1973 Stationed in Alameda, Calif, New York City, Juneau, Alaska, and Mobile, Al.

Air National Guard 1983 - 1987 Gulfport, MS

Dang Mike. Thanks for joining up....when I was 2.

I had started the application process to be an AF officer. But they cut the board that year and I did not wait around. Thought it would be cool to try for a pilots slot. My roomate and I were going in together. He was already in the Air Guard in Montgomery. So he got lucky and entered flight school through the guard and I went to work. I think he's having more fun flying F16s than I am flying this damned computer.

I was in the Naval Reserve as an Engineering Duty Officer from 1989 until 1997, no active duty, just drills and 2 weeks a year. With all of my travel and time away from home due to my other (civilian) Navy job, I decided to go inactive.

I never served, although did consider it seriously at one point, but I have a bad back from a nasty cheerleading injury senior year and did not think I could get thru PT. I guess you could say I am somewhat of a groupie - my dad served and was in the AF when I was born. Growing up in a cop's house is a lot like being in a military family to some extent, esp as patriotic and nationalistic as my father is. In college, I dated/was friends with several guys from our brother college who were headed to the military academies after one year at Marion Military or were otherwise working on their commission on the 2yr program. I dated a West Pointer and an Annapolis man then. Nearly married another Navy guy and was friends with others at Auburn thru the NROTC program Steven was in. My two best friends at Auburn were a Special Ops snake eater and an undercover cop. I dated a retired Marine Lt Col rotorhead (yes, an older man) for two years after my divorce. So there has been quite a bit of exposure to all things military for me - as close as I could get anyway. I guess what I am saying is that I find it all to actually be very interesting and I really am not JUST a uniform junkie, as I hope my factually correct posts will show. I do know my stuff. (Altho having dated several cops as well, maybe this is a pattern? Secure authority figures like my dad? Dang, that's heavy...). :blink:

ANYWAY, I got a lot out of these relationships, friends and boyfriends alike, and they always seemed surprised to find a woman that could shoot straight (literally and figuratively), loved to go repelling off the big tower and would sit and talk Tom Clancy novels and military hardware for hours.

But okay, confession - for dating material, I did seem to have a preference for Navy guys - and that DEFINITELY includes Marines - over all other branches - and all things being otherwise equal - yes, it IS the uniform, ESPECIALLY Marine Class A's and Navy Choker whites. HOO-AHHH! Be still my heart...! :wub:

But okay, confession - for dating material, I did seem to have a preference for Navy guys - and that DEFINITELY includes Marines - over all other branches - and all things being otherwise equal - yes, it IS the uniform, ESPECIALLY Marine Class A's and Navy Choker whites. HOO-AHHH! Be still my heart...! :wub:

I work with a Marine Corps Major, who's last duty was XO of a recruting station. He said you wouldn't believe the women that threw themselves at him because of the uniform, saying they just wanted to "do a Marine". I thought he was blowing smoke until I read that even Jenny was affected...

BTW, cheerleader? That is not the Jenny I invisioned, I thought Jenny would have been the cool girl on the sidelines making fun of the cheerleaders, the one as cute and popular as the cheerleaders, but not fitting into any one clic. Well, I guess my vision was skewed...

I work with a Marine Corps Major, who's last duty was XO of a recruting station.  He said you wouldn't believe the women that threw themselves at him because of the uniform, saying they just wanted to "do a Marine".  I thought he was blowing smoke until I read that even Jenny was affected...

BTW, cheerleader?  That is not the Jenny I invisioned...  Well, I guess my vision was skewed...

Yes, even Jenny. :P There's just SOMETHING about a man in dress blues... or even better, choker whites. *sigh* Think "Officer and a Gentleman". Your friend is right - you saw that a LOT from the nasty local girls in Pensacola - a sailor would walk into a bar, and WHAMMO! The local chicks saw their ticket outta P'cola - and right into enlisted base housing with a PX card and a baby on one hip before the poor guy sobered up! Again, think "Officer and a Gentleman"!!! That is a FACT, jack.

But the rule of thumb is NEVER EVER EVER accept a date from a man before you see him in civies - that happened to a college friend of mine - a uniform can manke damn near anyone look good - and the guy showed up at her dorm looking like a TOTAL DORK. She was so embarassed.

Very skewed vision. I cheered for ten years - on a championship squad twice, plus two years of college (at Judson, not Auburn). But I was not the cool chick and definitely not very popular - being the only cheerleader who was also president of the honor society was NOT a social advantage!!!!!!! Just the opposite. Throw in having a cop for a dad and I sat home MANY a weekend.

Throw in having a cop for a dad and I sat home MANY a weekend.

I am sure your dad made sure to have his guns out cleaning them when a guy did come by to pick up his smart and beautiful cheerleader, right?

I work with a Marine Corps Major, who's last duty was XO of a recruting station.  He said you wouldn't believe the women that threw themselves at him because of the uniform, saying they just wanted to "do a Marine".  I thought he was blowing smoke until I read that even Jenny was affected...

BTW, cheerleader?  That is not the Jenny I invisioned...  Well, I guess my vision was skewed...

Yes, even Jenny. :P There's just SOMETHING about a man in dress blues... or even better, choker whites. *sigh* Think "Officer and a Gentleman". Your friend is right - you saw that a LOT from the nasty local girls in Pensacola - a sailor would walk into a bar, and WHAMMO! The local chicks saw their ticket outta P'cola - and right into enlisted base housing with a PX card and a baby on one hip before the poor guy sobered up! Again, think "Officer and a Gentleman"!!! That is a FACT, jack.

But the rule of thumb is NEVER EVER EVER accept a date from a man before you see him in civies - that happened to a college friend of mine - a uniform can manke damn near anyone look good - and the guy showed up at her dorm looking like a TOTAL DORK. She was so embarassed.

Very skewed vision. I cheered for ten years - on a championship squad twice, plus two years of college (at Judson, not Auburn). But I was not the cool chick and definitely not very popular - being the only cheerleader who was also president of the honor society was NOT a social advantage!!!!!!! Just the opposite. Throw in having a cop for a dad and I sat home MANY a weekend.

At Navy Duty station in Idaho, Nuke Facility, the Mormons have made a three day Common Law Marriage Statute. No kidding. The locals would shack up with a Sailor on a long weekend and Whammo, instant Marriage. :o

Started in the Guard at Auburn with 20th SF Group, after graduation went on active duty in the Army for a bit over 4 years in the 10th Mountain Division. Currently I am a company commander in the Army Reserve.

It was either join or be placed in a fast track to Viet Nam. Since I had already had 6 close friends killed there, I wasn't keen on the idea of a visit. :rolleyes:

Dedging the draft was not an option in my mind. At that time the Air Force had a 2 year waiting list, the waiting list for the Navy was around 14 months. I didn't have that much time so I joined the Coast Guard.

It was either join or be placed in a fast track to Viet Nam. Since I had already had 6 close friends killed there, I wasn't keen on the idea of a visit. :rolleyes:

Dedging the draft was not an option in my mind. At that time the Air Force had a 2 year waiting list, the waiting list for the Navy was around 14 months. I didn't have that much time so I joined the Coast Guard.

Just taking a jab at one of my ELDERS. ;)

Just taking a jab at one of my ELDERS. ;)

That's OK Sonny, I can take it! :lol::lol:

I was going to join the Marines out of high school. But when I went to the MEPS in Jackson, Mississippi I passed my test, but I failed my physical because when I was a Junior in high school I got hurt playing football, and they wouldn't pass me because I broke my leg.

I mainly wanted to go to help pay for my College Fund, but oh well still got TOPS to go to LSU.

EDIT: My great-grandfather was in the Battle of Normandy in World War 2, one of my uncles was in the Marines and had several tours in Vietnam. He got wounded twice, but they didn't kill him thankfully. My other uncle retired right before Desert storm he was stationed in Beaufort, South Carolina.

My little cousin is joining the Marines after he graduates high school, he is on delayed entry right now.

Archived