Star's Doc appointment.

WAR-MATT

Still don't know why he didn't get the HC job.

Jenkins may see cohorts at WVU

Star’s brother may be student assistant; bowl teammate Jackson leaning toward WVU

By JIM BUTTA, Sports Writer and DAVE POE, Sports Editor POSTED: January 19, 2008 Save | Print | Email

Email: "Jenkins may see cohorts at WVU"

*To: <--TO Email REQUIRED!

PARKERSBURG — After spending Thursday with Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel, Parkersburg High School all-America lineman Josh Jenkins left Friday for his official visit to West Virginia University, which will take place this weekend.

Jenkins remains the subject of a red-hot recruiting battle with at least three schools —WVU, Ohio State and Florida State —still in the running for the services of the 6-foot-5, 305-pound standout, who recently participated in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

If Jenkins ends up casting his lot with the Mountaineers, he may find himself being coached by one of his brothers and may be blocking for one of his East teammates at the All-American Bowl.

Jenkins brother, Ohio University senior Paul Johnson, who is completing an internship that will qualify him for graduation, has interviewed with WVU regarding a graduate assistant position for which he had applied several months ago.

When Jenkins played at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, he was extremely impressed with his East teammate, quarterback Star Jackson of Lake Worth, Fla., who came out on top in several quarterback drills at the all-star game. Jackson, who was said to be leaning to Alabama, now appears to have put West Virginia at the top of his list. His timing couldn’t be better with Pat White having one more year in Morgantown, after which the signal-calling position will be up for grabs.

Jackson not only was being recruited by the previous Mountaineer staff, but he also was being targeted by Florida recruiting coordinator John “Doc” Holliday, who recently became West Virginia’s recruiting guru.

This is a big recruiting weekend for Mountaineer football coach and his staff.

Joining Jenkins in Morgantown are offensive tackle Greg Shaw, offensive guard Joey Madsen, defensive tackle Jewhan Edwards and defensive end Corey Freeman.

Of the group Madsen, is the only one to have announced his verbal commitment to the gold and blue — a choice from which he has not swayed despite all of the upheaval at WVU.

Jenkins, who had given his verbal commitment following his junior season with the Big Reds, announced his de-commitment in December following the departure of seven-year head coach Rich Rodriguez to the University of Michigan.

The Big Red standout, however, agreed to take a formal visit to the campus earlier this week following a meeting with Stewart and Holliday, who visited PHS on Tuesday, two days before Ohio State University’s Jim Tressel made Parkersburg his home for a day.

WVU has made scholarship offers to all five of the players visiting this weekend.

Shaw (6-6, 280) attended Monsignor Pace High School in Miami, Fla., and is considered a 3-star recruit and one of the Top 50 high school players in the country at his position.

Same for Madsen (6-4, 275), who played at Chardon High School in Chardon, Ohio.

Edwards and Freeman are considered to be the first of what will be many recruits landed by new assistants Steve Dunlap, Chris Beatty, David Lockwood and David Johnson.

Edwards (6-3, 310) played at Roman Catholic High School in Philadelphia while Freeman (6-1, 192) attends Cleveland Heights High School in University Heights, Ohio.

This weekend’s group brings the total number of possible recruits to visit WVU since August to 119.

Wide receiver Eugene Hilton (5-10, 165) from Miami Springs High School in Miami Springs, Fla., and tight end Jamal Mosley (6-4, 227) from Kingsbury High School in Memphis, Tenn., are slated to visit the campus over the next couple of weeks.

That number, like this weekend’s, likely will grow as Stewart and his staff continue to hit the recruiting trail over the next several days.

National letter of intent signing day is Wednesday, Feb. 6.

But haven't you heard, Nick pulled off of him. They didn't want him anyway. That's what we'll hear immediatly if he decides to go elsewhere.

On a premium site, otherwise I'd post it, Star has said that he is still firm with Alabama and more than likely wont take any more visits.

You bammers are funny. You use this statement by Star to make the case he is commited to bama. But even when the Georgia Southern HC (Hatcher) and the school president adamantly deny Hatcher is interested in the bama OC job, your buddies say all that is just cover smoke and that hatcher wants the job. Only bammers can spin it both ways.

On a premium site, otherwise I'd post it, Star has said that he is still firm with Alabama and more than likely wont take any more visits.

You bammers are funny. You use this statement by Star to make the case he is commited to bama. But even when the Georgia Southern HC (Hatcher) and the school president adamantly deny Hatcher is interested in the bama OC job, your buddies say all that is just cover smoke and that hatcher wants the job. Only bammers can spin it both ways.

I would agree with you had I said one damn word about Hatcher.

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=762803

in that article, Star says he is "solid" to Alabama even after CMA leaving and that he has known for a few weeks it was going to happen.

in the "Recruiting Nuggets" section of BOL it does say that due to some negative recruiting tactics by other schools that were on him like vultures after CMA left, Star has decided to not take any more visits and he will indeed sign with Alabama. unless you want to call Star and his coaches liars.

But haven't you heard, Nick pulled off of him. They didn't want him anyway. That's what we'll hear immediatly if he decides to go elsewhere.

you must be thinking about what you guys have been saying about Enrique Davis since he decided to go elsewhere.

you must be thinking about what you guys have been saying about Enrique Davis since he decided to go elsewhere.

I don't recall anyone saying the coaches had pulled off Davis. Where did that happen?

According to Star himself, he is solid to Bama and isn't taking anymore visits. Replace West Virginia with Michigan and this is almost the exact same article Dennis Dodd wrote earlier this week.

I do find it odd that so much attention is being placed on a QB that I've seen numerous AU fans say is extremely overrated.

According to Star himself, he is solid to Bama and isn't taking anymore visits. Replace West Virginia with Michigan and this is almost the exact same article Dennis Dodd wrote earlier this week.

I do find it odd that so much attention is being placed on a QB that I've seen numerous AU fans say is extremely overrated.

Not sure if i've seen anyone say he's overrated. I have said and seen it posted that he's a very raw QB. You can also bet your bottom dollar that Doc will stay on him until signing day.

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=762803

in that article, Star says he is "solid" to Alabama even after CMA leaving and that he has known for a few weeks it was going to happen.

in the "Recruiting Nuggets" section of BOL it does say that due to some negative recruiting tactics by other schools that were on him like vultures after CMA left, Star has decided to not take any more visits and he will indeed sign with Alabama. unless you want to call Star and his coaches liars.--if he signs with bama his most notable coach is a well known liar.

This story is awful. It's ridiculous. Star has NEVER indicated he was interested in anyone but Bama. Ever. He's said he isn't taking anymore visits...and that he commited to "the school not a coach"...

I don't know how he could be any more clear. And I certainly don't know why this guy says star is a "Bama lean"...uh no... he's a solid bama COMMIT.

Article is crap.

He is VERY overrated. Move along now............

This story is awful. It's ridiculous. Star has NEVER indicated he was interested in anyone but Bama. Ever. He's said he isn't taking anymore visits...and that he commited to "the school not a coach"...

I don't know how he could be any more clear. And I certainly don't know why this guy says star is a "Bama lean"...uh no... he's a solid bama COMMIT.

Article is crap.

This story is awful. It's ridiculous. Saban has NEVER indicated he was interested in anyone but Miami. Ever. He's said he isn't taking anymore visits...and that he commited to "the city not an owner"...

I don't know how he could be any more clear. And I certainly don't know why this guy says saban is a "Miami lean"...uh no... he's a solid Miami COMMIT.

Just sayin'.

This story is awful. It's ridiculous. Saban has NEVER indicated he was interested in anyone but Miami. Ever. He's said he isn't taking anymore visits...and that he commited to "the city not an owner"...

I don't know how he could be any more clear. And I certainly don't know why this guy says saban is a "Miami lean"...uh no... he's a solid Miami COMMIT.

Just sayin'.

Pine Box.

Just sayin'.

Pine Box.

Exactly. You get my point.

Things change. People mislead (either slightly or blatantly). Recruits change their minds. Etc.

I'm simply saying that we (football fans) probably shouldn't get so upset about rumors dealing with an 18 year old man.

By the way, I know that you can never trust CTT because of the "Pine Box" comment. But, "Pine Box" was 10 years (and about eight Alabama coaches) ago. "Miami" was two.

Alabama hiring Hatcher as OC would be an amazing move. Big, Big upgrade from Major

I can't see Norm Chow heading to Bama (I say this because on a Bama site they say he is coming) because he would want 100% control of the offense without Saban telling him what to do WHATSOEVER

we're loaded at the RB posistion and probably always will be ---- i dont think we need to make excuses for him going elsewhere. sure he's a good player but 3 names for ya --- Lester, Fannin, Tate. look for me on tv during one of the BCS games next season dude. That is if the tv works in the motel 6 at whatever crap town 'bama gets a bid to. I bet Shreveport was gorgeous this time of year.

Until he says he wants to visit Auburn. Then he is the best player in the world.

I saw early this week on this board where some Auburn fan said "E. Davis wouldn't fit our spread anyway.".......BS your just pissed that he doesn't want to tip cows for his college career.

Alabama hiring Hatcher as OC would be an amazing move. Big, Big upgrade from Major

I can't see Norm Chow heading to Bama (I say this because on a Bama site they say he is coming) because he would want 100% control of the offense without Saban telling him what to do WHATSOEVER

You're right about Norm. I would also add, he wouldn't be a good fit at Bama because he doesn't recruit AT ALL...and he wouldn't WANT bama because a) he's trying to stay in the NFL, another year gets him tenure (for vesting) and b] he would want to be in Cali if he came back to college.

Until he says he wants to visit Auburn. Then he is the best player in the world.

I saw early this week on this board where some Auburn fan said "E. Davis wouldn't fit our spread anyway.".......BS your just pissed that he doesn't want to tip cows for his college career.

I bet if he plays d1 next year, it'll be as a tiger....

Archived