Attacks down 22% since Saddam's capture

TitanTiger

By Jim Michaels, USA TODAY

BAGHDAD  — Attacks against coalition forces in Iraq have dropped 22% in the four weeks since Saddam Hussein's capture, military records show.

U.S. military officers say the decline in attacks, after months of growing intensity, is the first proof that Saddam's capture and recent U.S. offensives have dampened, but not eliminated, resistance to the occupation...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/20...acks-down_x.htm

By Jim Michaels, USA TODAY

BAGHDAD  — Attacks against coalition forces in Iraq have dropped 22% in the four weeks since Saddam Hussein's capture, military records show.

U.S. military officers say the decline in attacks, after months of growing intensity, is the first proof that Saddam's capture and recent U.S. offensives have dampened, but not eliminated, resistance to the occupation...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/20...acks-down_x.htm

What you failed to mention is that the fewer attacks are better planned and more deadly. Our casualties in Iraq have not abated since the capture of Saddam!! I see no reason to celebrate fewer attacks when the results haven't changed, more and more deaths in a war that has distracted from the REAL war on terrorism.

U.S. Mortuary Sees No Let-Up from Iraq War Dead

DOVER, Del. (Reuters) - Nearly a month after Saddam Hussein's capture, American war dead from Iraq continue to arrive with somber regularity at the wind-swept Air Force base in Delaware that is home to the world's largest mortuary.

I failed to mention it because what you're saying isn't accurate...at least the way you're phrasing it. No one said the attacks had stopped. But the attacks have decreased and yes, even the deaths...according to the very article you posted:

Thirty Americans have died in hostile action during the 27 days between Saddam's capture and Friday, according to a Pentagon official. In comparison, 41 died in hostilities the month before Saddam's capture, from Nov. 13 through Dec. 13.

And I do see some cause to celebrate fewer attacks, even if you don't. The fewer the opportunities, the likely the number of injured and killed will significantly decrease as well.

I failed to mention it because what you're saying isn't accurate...at least the way you're phrasing it. No one said the attacks had stopped. But the attacks have decreased and yes, even the deaths...according to the very article you posted:
Thirty Americans have died in hostile action during the 27 days between Saddam's capture and Friday, according to a Pentagon official. In comparison, 41 died in hostilities the month before Saddam's capture, from Nov. 13 through Dec. 13.

And I do see some cause to celebrate fewer attacks, even if you don't. The fewer the opportunities, the likely the number of injured and killed will significantly decrease as well.

I doubt Dognut will respond to this one.

Here is an amazing site regarding casualties in the Iraq War: Link

You can get all stats on any country's casualties and the time frame broken down by week if you want. If you click on the Fatality Metrics link, you can even see the breakdown between hostile & non-hostile deaths. Of the 497 US deaths, 154 or 31% are designated as non-hostile. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to minimize the death of any of our troops over there in Iraq. All are tragic. But some of these non-hostile casualties could just as easily have happened stateside too: 50 of those 154 resulted from vehicle accidents; 9 from drowning; another 22 are related to illnesses -- including one that's listed as "died in sleep."

For the record, a 22% drop in attacks is not that much of a drop. That's like saying instead of getting 5 attacks in a given time frame, you only got 4. Still, I'm sure every little bit helps. It's only been a month since SH was captured. Let's see if the attacks continue to drop more along with the casualties. I'm inclined to think they will.

Archived