Computer Help!!!

AURainman

I have been MIA for the last few weeks. Why? Because my computer is crap. I am now typing from a University computer. You see, I am having issues with my PC. When I turn it on, I get a Kernel32.exe error. My computer worked fine before the new year and now it wont do anything. The computer opens windows just fine and still has my desktop pictures and whatnot, however there are no icons on the screen and the only thing I am able to do is hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down my computer.

So, for all you techies out there, do I have a virus? Or, do I have the Y2K+4 bug?! ;)

Guest AuNuma1

OHHH, you got the deadly Y2K4 virus. :P

You might be able to boot into safe mode and just see if you can get into anything that you might want to backup but Kernel errors aren't good.

If it was me, I'd reinstall Windows (XP?) again...and be sure to select the option to reformat (after you backup your stuff, of course).

And if TitanTiger offers his "opinion" on this topic, don't listen to him! :D

OHHH, you got the deadly Y2K4 virus. :P

Yeah, sounds like you'll need to reinstall Windows (XP?) again...and be sure to select the option to reformat (after you backup your stuff, of course).

And if TitanTiger offers his "opinion" on this topic, don't listen to him! :D

Windows 98. Am I gonna lose everything on my hard drive?

What operating system are you running?

I found the following, but if you are running 2000, Windows ME it could also be something else.

Error Message Refers to the Kernel32.exe File if Your Computer Is Infected by the Worm_badtrans.b Virus

This article was previously published under Q316692

SYMPTOMS

You may receive the following error message:

Kernel32.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you view the data that the error report contains, the following error signature information may be listed:

CAUSE

This issue can occur if your computer is infected by one of the following viruses:

Worm_Badtrans.b

Backdoor.G_Door

Glacier Backdoor

Win32.Badtrans.29020

W32.Badtrans.B@mm

Win32/PWS.Badtrans.B.Worm

Kernel32.exe is the worm process that resides on the client computer, and Kernel32.exe is not a Microsoft file.

RESOLUTION

Microsoft does not provide software that can detect or remove computer viruses. If you suspect or confirm that your computer is infected with a virus, obtain current antivirus software. For a list of antivirus software manufacturers, click the following article number to see the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

49500 List of Antivirus Software Vendors

MORE INFORMATION

The viruses that are described in this article are types of "backdoor" programs that attackers can use to access your computer system without your knowledge or consent. The attacker can do one or more of the following:

Modify the registry

Shut down the computer

View your computer's screen

Record passwords

Obtain system information

Manipulate files on your computer

If you remove the client side of the virus, it does not necessarily mean that your system's security has not already been compromised, especially with regards to password information that may have been gathered by the server.

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316692

I do a couple of things. First, get and run some updated antivirus software. Preferably Norton or McAfee. You may have to run it from DOS or Windows Safe Mode for it to run properly given the problems you're having.

If that works, my next question is whether or not you have a constant connection to the internet (broadband DSL or cable). If so, you need a firewall in a serious way. Download ZoneAlarm (zonealarm.com). You don't need the pay version, the free one will do fine and keep ne'er do wells from your system while you're online.

If none of that works, you need to consider reinstalling your operating system. For one thing, Windows 98 is bad and Windows Me is worse. Either upgrade to Windows XP (if your system meets the minimum requirements) or try to buy Windows 2000 off of eBay or something.

If all else fails, get a Mac (this is the part that AuNuma doens't like). No viruses written for Macs since 2001, better internal security (because the OS was built from the ground up with that in mind), and better overall stability.

BadTrans ( Kernel32.exe )Virus

Information & Removal

There have been many reports of this virus in Alabama, be sure to warn your friends!

This Page Last Updated: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 02:24:55 PM

This document is public domain, you may link to it freely!

Security Risk - See Other Info. Below

** This virus (worm) will infect Outlook Express 5 users by simply viewing the infected email. In other words, you do NOT have to click on the attachment! See Other Information below...

Steps To Take To Avoid Badtrans.B Infection:

1). Fully update your anti-virus software.

Anti-virus software vendors initially discovered Badtrans.B on November 24th and added it to their protection. If your software has a date before November 24th you are most likely at risk. As of today, the 27th, Badtrans.B has made it to the top 10!

When high risk viruses initially break out everyone flocks to get current updates for their anti-virus software. This usually floods the servers of the vendors causing serious slow-downs or renders them inaccessible. If you cannot update your anti-virus software at least be sure perform Step 2 and close the security hole. Just remember not to click on suspicious attachments.

2.) Refer to the link below to Microsoft's Security Bulletin MS01-020 and follow the instructions to Install the patch for Microsoft Outlook Express 5x. For the easiest step-by-step method to install all security patches for Windows, with zero technical knowledge, read 3 Easy Steps To Rock-Solid Virus Protection.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...in/MS01-020.asp

Common Subject Lines of Badtrans.B:

RE:

There have also been reports of other text following but RE: is the most common.

Common Attachment(s):

Example: HUMOR.MP3.SCR

FUN

HUMOR

DOCS

S3MSONG

Sorry_about_yesterday

ME_NUDE

CARD

SETUP SEARCHURL

YOU_ARE_FAT!

HAMSTER NEWS_DOC

New_Napster_Site

README

IMAGES

PICS

Ending with DOC. MP3. ZIP.

and/or .PIF or .SCR

Example: HUMOR.MP3.SCR

Infected System May Exhibit:

The presence of KERNEL32.EXE file in the Windows/System folder

The presence of the file KDLL.DLL on the system

Any of the symptoms of the original Badtrans (fully scroll down this page for details)

To quickly check for the presence of these files you can press F3 to bring up the "Find Files and Folders" window. Enter each file name above and make sure the "Look In" area has just C:

Built from the ground up?  It's Unix based (a good thing nevertheless)!  hehe...at least get your Mac facts straight.  :P   :lol:

I know that. It runs on a Unix kernel and shares the underpinnings, but much of it is new. My point was simply that the desktop OS incarnation of Unix that is Mac OS X was put together with security issues in mind. I don't want to hijack the thread but there are articles availabe that explain why OS X is more secure than Windows (any version).

But even you have to admit...the advice I gave him was good. I waited until I gave all the Windows-centric options (well, I did leave out hitting the damn thing with an anvil dropped from a 10 story building) before offering the Mac evangelist pitch. :P

Guest AuNuma1
But even you have to admit...the advice I gave him was good.  I waited until I gave all the Windows-centric options (well, I did leave out hitting the damn thing with an anvil dropped from a 10 story building) before offering the Mac evangelist pitch.  :P

:lol: I'll admit, it was good.

(well, I did leave out hitting the damn thing with an anvil dropped from a 10 story building) before offering the Mac evangelist pitch.

That always works great! :lol::lol::lol:

But even you have to admit...the advice I gave him was good.  I waited until I gave all the Windows-centric options (well, I did leave out hitting the damn thing with an anvil dropped from a 10 story building) before offering the Mac evangelist pitch.  :P

:lol: I'll admit, it was good.

I stay in tune with the Windows world, partially because most of the office runs on Windows (except for the Marketing and creative divisions), but mostly because I am Tech Support for my parents and my in-laws. :P

I do a couple of things. First, get and run some updated antivirus software. Preferably Norton or McAfee. You may have to run it from DOS or Windows Safe Mode for it to run properly given the problems you're having.

If that works, my next question is whether or not you have a constant connection to the internet (broadband DSL or cable). If so, you need a firewall in a serious way. Download ZoneAlarm (zonealarm.com). You don't need the pay version, the free one will do fine and keep ne'er do wells from your system while you're online.

If none of that works, you need to consider reinstalling your operating system. For one thing, Windows 98 is bad and Windows Me is worse. Either upgrade to Windows XP (if your system meets the minimum requirements) or try to buy Windows 2000 off of eBay or something.

If all else fails, get a Mac (this is the part that AuNuma doens't like). No viruses written for Macs since 2001, better internal security (because the OS was built from the ground up with that in mind), and better overall stability.

Internet for dummies alert!!! How do I find out if my PC has a firewall??? I have XP if thats anything you need to know. Also, I use RoadRunner cable as ISP.

XP has a firewall built into the operating system... Follow these directions to activate/deactivate it....

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall

Open Network Connections

Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:

To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

Notes

To open Network Connections, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

If you clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box, the firewall on your computer is disabled, and your network is vulnerable to intrusions.

You should not enable Internet Connection Firewall on virtual private networking (VPN) connections or on client computers because ICF will interfere with file and printer sharing.

ICF cannot be enabled on the private connections of the Internet Connection Sharing host computer.

Internet Connection Sharing, Internet Connection Firewall, Discovery and Control, and Network Bridge are not available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.