UT is Bama's biggest rival?

WAR-MATT

I guess you do have to win a game every once in awhile against a certain team (AU) for it to be considered a rivalry. B)

CECIL HURT: Greatest college rivalry gets second-class treatment

With so many choices, what is a person to do this weekend? Go to Irving’s Bait and Tanning on Highway 69 South, where they have a couple of Cezannes on display in the men’s room? Head to Barney’s Burger Barn for caviar and a nice Dom Perignon?

I know ? how about watching Alabama-Tennessee at 11:30 a.m. on Lincoln Financial Sports?

Even the Crown Jewels of England look better in a nice setting, so it is a little incongruous to see the Southeastern Conference’s greatest rivalry on the league’s regional early-riser network.

It is the greatest rivalry, by the way. If one limits the perspective to the past 25 years, then votes will also be accepted for Alabama-Auburn, Florida-Tennessee, Florida-Georgia and some others. But when discussing the full scope of SEC history, it’s Alabama-Tennessee, and nothing else is even close.

And before this gets out of hand, no slam is intended to Lincoln Financial. I like the fact they show SEC football in a time slot that is, quite often, convenient (particularly if Alabama is playing a night game). I like their commitment to full employment for guys named Dave on their announcing team (although, no matter how many Daves they hire, there will never be another Dave Rowe.)

It’s just strange that Alabama and Tennessee are in the early spot, on the non-national network. Strange ? but not impossible to understand.

The fact is, there are some great games in the SEC. It’s easy (and not inaccurate) to say Alabama and Tennessee are both at a level that’s slightly lower than usual. You couldn’t prove that by looking at the SEC standings today ? Alabama sits in a loss-column tie atop the West, and Tennessee is in the same position in the East.

There are very important ramifications for both teams in terms of bowl positioning and, perhaps, conference championships. But the same thing is true in Baton Rouge, where LSU and Auburn will play a critical game (and, despite the fact that LSU is a two-touchdown favorite, I think Auburn has a legitimate chance.)

It’s also true in Lexington, Ky., where Florida is barely hanging on in the East and Kentucky, thanks to its upset of LSU, is the new league media darling. It’s harder to understand ESPN2’s choice of Maryland-Virginia, an ACC game that probably doesn’t even interest people in Maryland and Virginia.

Two points are worth making. First, no conference in America compares to the SEC, competitively speaking. That’s why you have games like Alabama-Tennessee at 11:30. It’s also why it is going to be extremely difficult for an SEC team to make it to the BCS championship game this year.

Teams in less vicious leagues (and, yes, that does include the Big 10, the Big East and the ACC) all have a better chance at running the table and making it to New Orleans.

Second, the SEC doesn’t give specific numbers of just how much of its $43 million in television revenue comes from Lincoln Financial, but it’s a good deal less than CBS and ESPN are paying.

Also, if Lincoln Financial is going to get games like Alabama-Tennessee on a regular basis ? and if traditionally semi-relevant teams like Kentucky and South Carolina continue to hover around the Top 10, they will ? then the network needs to pony up a good deal more money when its contract comes up for renewal in 2009.

In the meantime, everyone will just have to wake up early and head to Bryant-Denny Stadium for a brunch date. Who knows, maybe afterwards you can stop by one of the clubs on the Strip and see U2 or the Rolling Stones ? which would be sort of a surprising setting for two of the biggest names in the business to be playing.

Cecil Hurt is sports editor of the Tuscaloosa News. Reach him at cecil.hurt@tuscaloosanews.com or 205-722-0225

Cecil comparing his beloved Tahd to the Rolling Stones and/or U2.... :roflol:

Well, maybe the Rolling Stones, who haven't been a major player on the rock scene in the last 15-20 years.

I seem to remember much laughter coming from west vance last year when the Auburn/Georgia game was put on LFS. At least it wasn't bumped by the Maryland vs Virginia slugfest...

I think Bama hates Tennessee a lot more than Tennessee hates Bama.

I think that might be because Tennessee is 11-3 since 1993 against the Tard.

Cecil is wrong. UT was our bigger rival ONE year. The year right in the middle of the NCAA crap.

Auburn is and always will be our biggest rival.

That's not what Cecil really said. His contention is that the UA-UT game is the league's best rivalry, not that UT is Bama's biggest or most important rivalry.

But even on this point, the worst sportswriter in the South misses the boat. The league's best -- and oldest -- rivalry is and will always be Auburn-Georgia.

Sure, the UA-UT rivalry has seen some iconic figures in Bryant and Neyland, but that's the same kind of moldy logic that allows Ole Miss fans to claim their alleged rivalry with LSU as the league's best because of Johnny Vaught and Paul Dietzel.

I think Bama hates Tennessee a lot more than Tennessee hates Bama.

I think that might be because Tennessee is 11-3 since 1993 against the Tard.

And that whole "secret witness" thing.

That's not what Cecil really said. His contention is that the UA-UT game is the league's best rivalry, not that UT is Bama's biggest or most important rivalry.

Well, true to a degree, but how can they be the SEC's biggest rivalry when they're not even uat's biggest rivalry?

So you consider UGA to be AU's biggest rival?

And again you miss the point.

It's not about who is who's biggest rival. It's about which rivalry is the league's best. And that's AU-UGA.

Don't make me throw cups at you because there won't be a link and you won't be able to prove I did.

Galen said that, I'm arguing with him.

I think the Iron Bowl is the biggest and best rivalry in all of sports, Yankees/Red Sox included.

But to amend this argument, I put AU/UGA heads and tails above UT/uat for historical significance alone if not also for the fact that in recent years both teams have been higher ranked teams and they can go either way pretty much every year.

Galen said that, I'm arguing with him.

No, I didn't say that at all.

The Auburn-Georgia game is the best rivalry in the SEC. Because of history, because it's the oldest, because of the friendly spirit of competition, because it has traditionally been one of the closest.

Alabama is still AU's biggest rival and that game is probably second when it comes to league significance.

Behind those two, you've got a mish mash of UA-UT, UGA-UF, MSU-UM and other games.

I think the Iron Bowl is far and away the best rivalry in sports.

Thus making it the best in the SEC.

I think you have a fair argument in suggesting AU/UGA > UA/UT.

I've made this comment before, I think other games are important to more people than the Iron Bowl. I.e. more people care about the Yankess vs. the Red Sox than care about the Iron Bowl. B/c they have a lot of bandwagon fans.

However, the clear winner with regards to how much fans care about the Iron Bowl. People in the state obsess about it 24-7-365. The only thing I would say is close is UNC-Duke.

So the Yanks-Red Sox is a broader rivalry, but the Iron Bowl is a deeper rivalry.

I understand GG's point about the UGA-AU rivalry being a better "pure" rivalry b/c of the length, competitiveness, and spirit of the game, but I think you have to go with fan passion and the sheer number of people watching to determine the best rivalries. Or else there is a pretty good argument that something like Harvard-Yale or Lehigh-Lafayette is the best rivalry. And that just doesn't seem right.

UGA-AU has a lot of respect in it. I respect UGA and most of their fans and want them to do well, but I want us to win that game every year. UAT is the complete opposite. There is hate behind that rivalry and neither wants the other to succeed in anything.

There are very important ramifications for both teams in terms of bowl positioning and, perhaps, conference championships. But the same thing is true in Baton Rouge, where LSU and Auburn will play a critical game (and, despite the fact that LSU is a two-touchdown favorite, I think Auburn has a legitimate chance.)

Do you think Cecil was being a bit condescending?

Wrong, :uf: is :ut: 's biggest rival, followed by :uga: then :ua:

Ranking the rivarlies in the SEC is fun but when it comes down to it, everyone of those games are important and fun to watch. The top tier rivarlies in the SEC are Auburn vs Bama, Auburn vs UGA, Bama vs Tenn, Florida vs Tenn.

BG concedes an argument and agrees with me.

I'll be honest, I didn't see that one coming.

He must have been hit by one of GG's thrown cups. Sorry, I do not have an actual link that definitively shows BG being hit and GG doing the throwing but I have it from good sources.

Ranking the rivarlies in the SEC is fun but when it comes down to it, everyone of those games are important and fun to watch. The top tier rivarlies in the SEC are Auburn vs Bama, Auburn vs UGA, Bama vs Tenn, Florida vs Tenn.

And the Cocktail Party. I know Florida has OWNED it lately, but it is always a big game and I believe UGA still has the series lead.

And don't forget about the Egg Bowl. Not very important nationally, but both teams circle that one on their calendars.

:ua: is :ut: biggest rival, not the other way around.

I know many Tenn fans who will tell you that they hate Vandy more than bammer.

He must have been hit by one of GG's thrown cups. Sorry, I do not have an actual link that definitively shows BG being hit and GG doing the throwing but I have it from good sources.

No, its obvious that GG punched BG when BG was on his way from the computer to the kitchen for some more kool-aid.

Archived