Got Defense?

AU!

Everyone is talking all day long about the offense and all the changes we have to make, but I've been extremely unimpressed with our defense this season. It seems that when we really need the defense to step up, they crumble. It happened against S. Florida and Miss State and it almost happened against KState but they picked it up late. Our defense is supposed to be our crutch when the offense is weakened and the offense is weakened more now than I've seen it in years. Without the defense to do things like hold LSU to 3 points, or stop Florida late in the second half, we are not going to win very many more games.

Thoughts?

I think our defense has played well enough to win every game and had the offense not repeatedly put them in compromising situations and kept them on the field so much with turnovers and three and outs, their numbers would look even better. I only have two problems: they seem to struggle on the first drive or two then settle down. So, I'd like to see them catch on to what the offense is doing quicker. Second, the draw play for a first down on MSU's final drive. No way you should give that up. Other than that, I don't have a problem with our defense. They aren't even remotely responsible for the situation we find ourselves in. This offense has been more than weakened, they've practically been the other offense's 12th man.

I'm sorry, but the "Got Defense?...We don't" title of this thread is baloney to me. Our defense is the ONLY reason we even had a shot in these games with the turnover rate our offense racked up.

I think our defense has played well enough to win every game and had the offense not repeatedly put them in compromising situations and kept them on the field so much with turnovers and three and outs, their numbers would look even better. I only have two problems: they seem to struggle on the first drive or two then settle down. So, I'd like to see them catch on to what the offense is doing quicker. Second, the draw play for a first down on MSU's final drive. No way you should give that up. Other than that, I don't have a problem with our defense. They aren't even remotely responsible for the situation we find ourselves in. This offense has been more than weakened, they've practically been the other offense's 12th man.

I'm sorry, but the "Got Defense?...We don't" title of this thread is baloney to me. Our defense is the ONLY reason we even had a shot in these games with the turnover rate our offense racked up.

Exactly. Our offense doesn't turn the ball over 10 times in those two games and put our D in positions to have to stop them, we win those games. We turned the ball over 3 times in a row against S Fla and held them to something like -11 yards on those 3 possesions. You can't ask for more than that.

Yup. Defense is not the major problem. It hasn't been lights out, but it has been pretty good.

We do seem to have really bad first quarters, but after it settles down, it has been fine. Avoid the turnovers in those losses to USF and Miss State and we would have been fine.

With as many as four starters out at a time, and all things considered, I think the D has been stellar! We should be 4-0 right now. The only place the D was deficient was in the T/O catergory...and that apparently has been rectified.

:au::homer:

I would agree that our defense hasn't been solid. However, we are very thin and experienced at LB. Consider that Blackmon is one of our veteran linebackers. Losing Trahan hurt. Coupled with injuries at our best two DB's in Wilhite and Savage. But I have also been disappointed with our surge up front with teh DL. At times we are getting blown off the ball. But I think things will improve with getting Blackmon back.

I have had VERY few complaints about the defense all year. They are playing extremely well in my opinion despite crucial injuries. My only problem with them was tackling. They seemed to be doing a lot of arm tackling and slowly moving to the ball. Recievers were capitalizing on short passes for this reason. HOWEVER: I saw a huge improvement this week. They were swarming to the ball with a lot of intensity. I saw numerous open field tackles that were previously missed this year. Most tackles resulted in the ball carrier falling backwards instead of falling forward for another yard or so. All in all I am happy to see improvement on a good defense as the year progresses. And Tigger, I think that Blackmon will be a very big contibution to the efforts in Gainesville, but he is not required for a victory. I think we can do it w/ or w/o him.

WDE :big:

Let me put it this way. In regulation, we have held ALL our opponents to 20 points or less. In any other year, that would mean an undefeated season so far. Can the Defense help it if the offense played like a bunch of sick nuns?

Some people just can't get enough of whinning about this team... give it a break. Defense is the only reason we're not 1-3.

Amen & Amen.............

Our lack of speed at outlide likebacker is really hurting us--too many backs are getting around the end and turning up field that will be fixed when Blackmon is back

9 of our opponents 14 scoring drives have been less than 60 yards. AND, 6 of those drives started in Auburn territory, thanks largely in part to turnovers. I broke it down further in a thread I started yesterday, but I think the thread got buried already. Our defense is playing outstanding football. They finally got some turnovers saturday and we are now only -3 in the turnover dept. This will get better as the season goes along.

9 of our opponents 14 scoring drives have been less than 60 yards. AND, 6 of those drives started in Auburn territory, thanks largely in part to turnovers. I broke it down further in a thread I started yesterday, but I think the thread got buried already. Our defense is playing outstanding football. They finally got some turnovers saturday and we are now only -3 in the turnover dept. This will get better as the season goes along.

It looks like everything has been covered by War Tiger in that fewer offensive turnonvers equals better defensive play. The only other thing is have you seen our recent injury list, we are just now getting everyone back, so all I have to say is hold on tight and enjoy the show. I am anxious to see how easily Tim Tebow runs through or around Tray Blackmon!!!!!!!!!!

The defense has been slowed by injuries. If Blackmon plays against the gators, Auburn wins.

Just playing Blackmon will NOT win this game. We have to play well on offense more than anything. We have to establish the run or we will not win this game.

The defense has been slowed by injuries. If Blackmon plays against the gators, Auburn wins.

Just playing Blackmon will NOT win this game. We have to play well on offense more than anything. We have to establish the run or we will not win this game.

This game will be about ball control. We are definitely 7pts > Ole Miss. Ole Miss did a poor job on the run and an excellent job passing. They lost. I see us running the ball 40+ times. I don't see FLA gaining 500+ total yards against us. I also don't see Tebow gaining 166 yards on the ground against us.

It all depends on how disciplined our D-line is in the pass rush. If Groves or the other defensive ends insist on outside speed rushes every time (like Q did against MSU when we gave up the 3rd and 18 draw play) and don't keep Tebow in front of them, their tackles will simply use their momentum against them and shove them upfield while Tebow shoots through the gap and gashes us for 10 yards a pop.

It all depends on how disciplined our D-line is in the pass rush. If Groves or the other defensive ends insist on outside speed rushes every time (like Q did against MSU when we gave up the 3rd and 18 draw play) and don't keep Tebow in front of them, their tackles will simply use their momentum against them and shove them upfield while Tebow shoots through the gap and gashes us for 10 yards a pop.

That's true. I keep hoping that Groves will get that stupid sack record out of the way so he will quit getting trapped outside. I think he's trying too hard.

I believe our defensive PLAYERS are outstanding and Muschamp has just failed to reinforce fundamentals like tackling and swarming. I also believe our HC is one of the best defensive minds in all football. Tubbs won't let the D get too far gone before he steps in...and Muss knows it. Muschamp is a great motivator and he can create pass rushers. He's always been soft w/ the bread & butter stuff, even when he was @ LSU.

In short, our D hasn't played up to their abilities the last 2 years.

Archived