High Speed Police Chases

MDM4AU

Seven Teens Killed in High-Speed Police Chase

I read the article above about 7 teens from one town in NC that were killed when the car they were running from the police in went off the road. Naturally, parents are questioning the high speed pursuit. (There are obviously a couple of other questions that arise from this, but we'll save that for another time.)

My wife and I have debated this a little before so I thought I would get some more opinions, not necessarily on this article, but on this topic.

How do you feel about high-speed police chases?

this happened just up the road from us here...we've gotten 2-3 articles on it and today, there were some letters to the editor on why people were blaming the police.

the youngest was 13 years old...the driver was 15 -- the vehicle was stolen earlier that day.

the entire ordeal is tragic from start to deadly finish.

my take on it is this: i do not fault the police. they often are asked to do an impossible job, and this is one of those cases, IMO.

ct

Seven Teens Killed in High-Speed Police Chase

I read the article above about 7 teens from one town in NC that were killed when the car they were running from the police in went off the road. Naturally, parents are questioning the high speed pursuit. (There are obviously a couple of other questions that arise from this, but we'll save that for another time.)

My wife and I have debated this a little before so I thought I would get some more opinions, not necessarily on this article, but on this topic.

How do you feel about high-speed police chases?

I used to live in NC and I played AAU basketball and my coach taught one of those kids that was in that wreck...he's still very upset about it. Those kids stole that car and were riding on a spare wheel. The police officer backed off once they got up to 100 miles per hour. The police man did what he was supposed to. I don't have a problem with it at all.

I really don't know what to say about it. It was wrong for the kids to still the car but they shouldn't have died. I don't blame the cop. I mean its not like pushed them off of the road.

WARR EAGLE

Stolen vehicle for joyriding, underage & unlicensed driver, 7 kids in a car that can safely seat 5 maybe 6 people total (I doubt if any had been wearing seat belts,) inexperienced driver driving on temporary spare tire at high speed and in a 45 mph zone (probably commercial zone with lots of traffic lights,) failing to stop for an emergency vehicle ... man, there are WAY too many poor decisions made here to question the actions of the police.

I'm sorry that 7 kids had to die in this accident. It's tragic & completely senseless. But, the police are supposed to pull these kind of drivers over. If the driver refuses to stop & instead steps on the gas ... ? What can you do?

Put the blame squarely where it belongs on the people responsible -- not on the police, but on the driver & his accomplices.

Put the blame squarely where it belongs on the people responsible -- not on the police, but on the driver & his accomplices.

and i think some of the accomplices include these kids' parents.

i hate to say this, because i'm gonna have teenagers real soon, but i can't imagine a kid of mine being out past midnight 'joyriding'.

i'm also pretty naive.

ct

It's tragic but the police were only doing their job. If this chase had been in the middle of a busy city and their chase was endangering the general populace, I might have a problem with it once the police got the tag number of the car but this chase was on an isolated two lane road and the police had already backed off. Tragic? Yes? Police at fault? no.

BTW, two police were shot and killed in Athens yesterday answering what amounted to a simple domestic call. When the first officer stopped his car and stepped out, he was gunned down with no warning. The second officer was shot and killed later by this same gunman. These officers place their lives on the line for us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It's often a thankless task for them but a job they love.

Death of officers 2nd shock for Athens within 36 hours

I have always felt that if you run from the police, you get what you are asking for. They should be able to shoot the wheels out at the first, and every, opportunity.

Sounds like we won't have to worry about these guys growing up and breeding more of what is obviously not a group of bright individuals.

Archived