Intresting comment from Enrique

WAR-MATT

Link

Dolphins among 9 who fail to qualify

August 3, 2007

By Josh Weinfuss

LYNN HAVEN

Auburn signee Enrique Davis said Thursday he is one class short of qualifying academically for the Tigers this season.

Davis said he needs to take a drama or speech class, and will attend and play football this fall at Hargrave Military Academy, a prep school in Chatham, Va. He expects to enroll at Auburn in December.

“Best thing is when I come to Auburn I’ll still be a freshman so I have all those years to go,” Davis said.

Joining Davis as an academic casualty is Mosely High School teammate Carlton Johnson, who also signed with Auburn in February. Johnson will attend Georgia Military College, coach Bert Williams confirmed earlier this summer.

Seven other Auburn signees failed to qualify academically, according to The Associated Press. Linebacker Eltoro Freeman, offensive lineman Nick Fairley and wide receiver Chris Slaughter of Hargrave Military Academy are among that group.

Davis said a handful of Auburn signees will join him and play at Hargrave, considered one of the elite prep schools in the country.

Davis was a Parade All-American he senior year at Mosley. He thought he had qualified academically after he received a B in a science class until Auburn said he need a drama or speech course to complete his core classes.

Unable to find a summer school class, Davis opted for Hargrave.

“I look at is as a positive,” he said. “The way I look at it, it will give me another year to make me faster and stronger.”

From what coaches had told him, Davis didn’t think he’d redshirt this year at Auburn had he qualified, and said he could have competed to back up starter Brad Lester. Davis said Lester, a junior, is expected to leave for the NFL after this season. <_<

Davis said he is scheduled to leave for Hargrave on Aug. 10. He rushed for 1,080 yards and 16 touchdowns last season and led the Dolphins to the 4A regional semifinals.

In January, Davis was named Rivals.com National Running Back of the Year at the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl. He also was honorable mention on the Class 4A All-State team, as was Johnson.

Davis said Johnson, a linebacker, spent his summer at the Georgia school and could spend two seasons at GMC.

Although he still has the option of changing his commitment, Davis’ loyalty sounded firm.

“I’m excited about it,” Davis said. “Gives me more time to try to get those guys to come to Auburn.”

I'm sorry, I really like Lester, but that would be the dumbest choice he ever made. He is no where big enough, or had enough playing time to enter the draft. If he leaves for the draft after his junior season he will not be drafted. Mark my words.

I'm sorry, I really like Lester, but that would be the dumbest choice he ever made. He is no where big enough, or had enough playing time to enter the draft. If he leaves for the draft after his junior season he will not be drafted. Mark my words.

I agree. While I think he'd be a great change of pace/ third down type back in the NFL, no way would he get drafted coming out after this year unless he just blows everyone away and puts up huge numbers. Let's hope for that.

I was about to say... Here's to hoping it's a no brainer after this year. After almost 2K yards, 14 Tochdowns or more and a SECC (or more....).... Fine!

Good luck to him!

AC1

I'm starting to like the way you think ;)

So he missed one class, couldn't he have taken that at Southern Union or in summer school. More there then meets the eye. Or did I miss something in my scan of the article?

So he missed one class, couldn't he have taken that at Southern Union or in summer school. More there then meets the eye. Or did I miss something in my scan of the article?

Um, I'm pretty sure he can't graduate if he doesn't have the class. Am I wrong?

Chris Slaughter didn't make it?

Chris Slaughter didn't make it?

last i heard slaughter was still awaiting clearance from the ncaa. this is the first i've heard someone say he didn't make it.

Something smells weird about that story. A Drama or a Speech class coming out of high school? I have ever never heard of that as a requirement for a entering freshman, only transfer students. Half the kids from Alabama would not qualify because their high school does not offer such.

Something smells weird about that story. A Drama or a Speech class coming out of high school? I have ever never heard of that as a requirement for a entering freshman, only transfer students. Half the kids from Alabama would not qualify because their high school does not offer such.

He probably lacked an elective, so technically the class could have been anything. I am assuming drama or speech were his easiest choices, as they tend to be powder puff classes.

I think it is hard to make the statement that he would not get drafted when he hasn't even played a down of ball this year thus far. If he lights it up this year it is not out of the range of possibilities. All that being said I don't want him to go anywhere.

From what coaches had told him, Davis didn’t think he’d redshirt this year at Auburn had he qualified, and said he could have competed to back up starter Brad Lester. Davis said Lester, a junior, is expected to leave for the NFL after this season.

AU coaches telling a recruit that he'd get massive amounts of PT as a freshman? Say it aint so!

From what coaches had told him, Davis didn’t think he’d redshirt this year at Auburn had he qualified, and said he could have competed to back up starter Brad Lester. Davis said Lester, a junior, is expected to leave for the NFL after this season.

AU coaches telling a recruit that he'd get massive amounts of PT as a freshman? Say it aint so!

I knew that was coming...

Did you read the Kodi Burns article? It seems lately that the lights are on but no one is home when you post.

On second thought, did you even read this article. Davis intimated that he was going to be allowed to compete...for a BACKUP position. Massive amounts of PT....whatever, putz.

You're right! True Freshman Ben Tate didn't even sniff the field last year. Wait, what's that? He played in 6 games and ran for almost 400 yards as a true freshman?

I think it is hard to make the statement that he would not get drafted when he hasn't even played a down of ball this year thus far. If he lights it up this year it is not out of the range of possibilities. All that being said I don't want him to go anywhere.

My thoughts exactly.

Reread the quote, junior. Telling a kid he could have competed for a backup spot and telling them he will get massive amounts of playing time are not the same thing, not even in the reality distortion field of Bama.

And I hardly think it's an unrealistic or untrue thing for an Auburn coach to tell a running back. Carnell started as a freshman even with Ronnie Brown already on the roster. Ben Tate got significant playing time as a freshman last season. Apparently, if they think you're good enough, you have an excellent chance at early PT and they follow through.

Archived