Rush Limbaugh

DKW 86

What do you think of him since admission of drug use?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of him since admission of drug use?

• I still think he is credible.
    • I never thought he was credible.
    • I now watch what he says, but still listen.
    • I find it hard to listen to him now, on any topic.
    • It all depends on the topic.

I find myself listening to the political stuff because he was and is so accurate on the predictions of Democrat actions and ideas.

However, I now turn him off as soon as he speaks about social issues. I did work for a while in a Rescue Mission. He exhibits some classic drug psychologies on some topics. Attacking others so people dont see him for himself, etc.

I am deeply saddened for him and his family, especially Marta and her kids. How does she face her kids? She had to know about the drug use first hand and how does she rationalize not getting him help?

How does she talk to her kids about drugs? Are her kids on drugs because of all they saw between her and Rush?

I could easily see her kids permanently scarred. She has no righteousness to use with her own kids.

What about his staff at the EIB Network? Where do they fall out in all this? Were they using drugs too? Did they not see?

What about how Rush attacked Clinton on his medical records? Rush pounded him on not releasing his own records. The rumor was nasal reconstruction due to cocaine use. Well Rush's hearing loss is almost directly attributable to snorting crushed oxycontin over many years. Now he is not releasing his own records? Hypocracy?

Makes me sick. Although, I have to say I am not surprised.

The human condition is a very weak one and I am not perfect by a long shot. But, the amount of persecution Rush did over the years on drug users and others really makes me wonder if there is not a bit of Divine justice in all this.

I never really listened to him that much to begin with. However, I do catch him from time to time, and I basically agree with what you said. Its hard to watch him judge people from on top of his golden mountain now. However, his insight into political matters, and the way he dissects the Demo-mind is priceless.

regardless of hyprocrisy, his statements (about anything) are either true or untrue...his personal failings don't change that.

if you have to be 'perfect' before you weigh in or criticize something, then whom would you ever listen to? further, personal shortcomings certainly don't disqualify people from performing their jobs...we learned that from the dems.

i was disappointed hearing of rush's problems, but again, i think you have to judge his words/statements for what they are, not for where or whom they come from.

regardless of hyprocrisy, his statements (about anything) are either true or untrue...his personal failings don't change that.

if you have to be 'perfect' before you weigh in or criticize something, then whom would you ever listen to? further, personal shortcomings certainly don't disqualify people from performing their jobs...we learned that from the dems.

i was disappointed hearing of rush's problems, but again, i think you have to judge his words/statements for what they are, not for where or whom they come from.

I agree CT. But the social side of his show is much more squishy. Social stuff is not necessarily right or wrong. It is far more subjective. Stats can be used but they can be manipulated too.

The commentary on drug users is very squishy. Can they perform and use drugs? Some say yes and point to known examples. One actor on Law and order stayed drunk almost from the beginning. Michael Moriarty actually defends his use of alcohol round the clock as his Irish heritage. :blink:

I am going to just be very slow to take his (RL) views on drugs and culture the same now.

I've listened to Rush for a long time, and thinking back on it I don't really remember him getting on people about drugs. He'll weigh in on people who don't take personal responisbility for themselves, but I don't think he ever trashed anyone for doing something behind closed doors that doesn't bother anyone else.

It seems like he's always avoided the issue of personal drug-use to me...at least I don't specifically remember him talking about it at length. And the Clinton med-record thing...that's a subject for elected political officials to have to deal with. If you're going to hold public office, you have to open up your medical records. But, Rush is an entertainer...I don't see where it applies.

Rush had a drug problem...he's dealing with it...he's not a hipocrite, he's merely learning from his wrongdoing...i'd say it makes him a teacher.

Carolina Tiger is my new WEN conservative hero.

With a few exceptions, drug scandals, sex scandals and other "dirt" stories are just red herrings used to discredit someone who has a different opinion than the one you do and is usually a sign of laziness on the part of the attacker because he or she doesn't want to expend the energy to attack the message. Someone getting a DUI 10 years ago has no bearing on their stance on school vouchers but by focusing on the DUI it becomes easy for those who think they occupy the moral high ground to brush aside opposing viewpoints.

WE96, I'd be happy to provide you with some Limbaugh anti-drug and anti-drug users quotes if you'd like.

Al:

If you 've got any quotes post 95, I'd love to hear em'.

That's how long I've been listening and i believe how long RL's been abusing.

Just because the HUMAN messenger may be flawed, the message is still TRUE.

Preach on! Let he that is without sin cast the first stone. The same ones that try to bash Rush are the ones that try to make light of what Clinton did in office and also of all their shady business dealings. Yet they want to call Rush a hypocrite! :roll: I was very disappointed in Rush, but I am not his judge. His battle with prescription pills had nothing to do with the info he provided IMO. Also, I get tired of those making him out to be a crack addict. There are many good Americans who are addicted to pain medication and that addiction started in an innocent way- to treat a medical problem. That is nowhere near people addicted to illegal drugs. They made a choice to start that, not because of a medical condition. Like I said, I am disappointed that Rush did not have the willpower to control it. I will however lose alot of respect for him as a conservative radio show host if it is discovered he tried to get the pills by illegal means.

Preach on! Let he that is without sin cast the first stone. The same ones that try to bash Rush are the ones that try to make light of what Clinton did in office and also of all their shady business dealings. Yet they want to call Rush a hypocrite! :roll: I was very disappointed in Rush, but I am not his judge. His battle with prescription pills had nothing to do with the info he provided IMO. Also, I get tired of those making him out to be a crack addict. There are many good Americans who are addicted to pain medication and that addiction started in an innocent way- to treat a medical problem. That is nowhere near people addicted to illegal drugs. They made a choice to start that, not because of a medical condition. Like I said, I am disappointed that Rush did not have the willpower to control it. I will however lose alot of respect for him as a conservative radio show host if it is discovered he tried to get the pills by illegal means.

If you're not Limbaugh's judge then why are you Clinton's???

Al:

If you 've got any quotes post 95, I'd love to hear em'.

That's how long I've been listening and i believe how long RL's been abusing.

Pre and post 1995. Is he absolved of anything he said before he became addicted? If so, why???

There's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods, which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up.

What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too.

...We are becoming too tolerant as a society, folks, especially of crime, in too many parts of the country.... This country certainly appears to be tolerant, forgive and forget. I mean, you know as well as I do, you go out and commit the worst murder in the world and you just say you're sorry, people go, "Oh, OK. A little contrition."... People say, "I feel better. He said he's sorry for it." We're becoming too tolerant, folks.

--Rush Limbaugh TV show (10/5/95)

These tough sentencing laws were instituted for a reason. The American people, including liberals, demanded them. Don't you remember the crack cocaine epidemic? Crack babies and out-of-control murder rates? Liberal judges giving the bad guys slaps on the wrist? Finally we got tough, and the crime rate has been falling ever since, so what's wrong?

--RushLimbaugh.com (8/18/03)

In the audio link below, I go into detail about these non-thinking talking points that "you can't tell people what to do with their bodies" and "you can't legislate morality." First of all, we tell people what they can do to their bodies all the time--no cocaine, no prostitution, no throwing yourself off a building. Second, laws are nothing but defining morality!

--RushLimbaugh.com (6/27/03)

All right. Joe Fernandez came to New York from Miami, ladies and gentlemen, to be schools chancellor.... Now he is embattled--he's got a book that just came out, an autobiography that's soon to come out, I think, in which he admits that he was a mainliner as a teen-ager. This guy [pretends to stick needle in arm]--pfsst--shot up heroin. And people are praising him. He overcame the scourge. He triumphed over that profound obstacle in his life and has gone on to become this great schools chancellor.... [Plays a clip of Fernandez saying that the message of his teenage drug use is "to not give up on our kids."]

Reach out and try to help them, not give up on the kids, give them condoms and teach them about a bunch of stuff that is worthless in terms of preparing them for their future as adults in the greatest country on Earth, teaching them all this social gobbledygook. "Let's not forget about the kids."...

Whoa. The guy wants to be education secretary, folks. Watch out. Now why does he want to go to Washington? Probably because he's studied the case of Marion Barry. Here's a guy who got involved in drugs. You want to see my Marion Barry impersonation? Do you want to see that? All right. I'll do the Marion Barry impersonation.

You put some stuff out here on the table and you go [pretends to snort cocaine]. "You tell Jesse to stay out of my town. This is my town, and Jesse--you tell him to stay out. [More snorting.] And I said no, no, no, no, I don't smoke it no more. Tired of ending up on the floor." [More snorting.]

So what is he? He gets involved in drugs and ends up, ladies and gentlemen, as a newly elected official in Washington, D.C....  So I'm sure Joe Fernandez is looking down there saying, "Hey, there's a future for, you know, drug users in Washington, D.C."

--Rush Limbaugh TV show (12/8/92)

When you strip it all away, Jerry Garcia destroyed his life on drugs. And yet he's being honored, like some godlike figure. Our priorities are out of whack, folks.

--Rush Limbaugh radio show (quoted in the L.A. Times, 8/20/95)

I want to let you read along with me a quote from Jerry Colangelo about substance abuse, and I think you'll find that he's very much right…"I know every expert in the world will disagree with me, but I don't buy into the disease part of it. The first time you reach for a substance you are making a choice. Every time you go back, you are making a personal choice. I feel very strongly about that."...

What he's saying is that if there's a line of cocaine here, I have to make the choice to go down and sniff it….And his point is that we are rationalizing all this irresponsibility and all the choices people are making and we're blaming not them, but society for it. All these Hollywood celebrities say the reason they're weird and bizarre is because they were abused by their parents. So we're going to pay for that kind of rehab, too, and we shouldn't. It's not our responsibility. It's up to the people who are doing it. And Colangelo is right.

--Rush Limbaugh TV show (9/23/93)

I have a solution for Mrs. [Jocelyn] Elders. I mean, if she wants to legalize drugs, send the people who want to do drugs to London and Zurich and let's be rid of them. Now...The problem with legalizing drugs is, it's just another abhorrent example of human behavior that we've suddenly decided, "Hey, we can't handle it. We've given up and we're going to sanction the destruction of lives. We're going to let you destroy your life. We're going to make it easy, and then all of us who accept the responsibilities of life and don't destroy our lives on drugs--we'll pay for whatever messes you get into."...

I'm appalled at people who simply want to look at all this abhorrent behavior and say, "Hey, you know, we can't control it anymore. People are going to do drugs anyway. Let's legalize it." It's a dumb idea. It's a rotten idea, and those who are for it are purely, 100 percent selfish.

--Rush Limbaugh TV show (12/9/93)

Here's an excerpt from a great article from the Libertarian Party website that makes some wonderful suggestions for Rush:

But to be fair and to make an example of him, he should be sent to prison. In fact, he should volunteer, if not charged. We have, I believe, a taped confession, so evidence is no problem for the prosecution. Go for it! He should go willingly, pain untreated, to writhe in agony for a mandatory minimum sentence, like the rest of us without political friends, at the mercy of the pundits and moralizers.

Do I want to see Rush suffer? Am I hateful and uncompassionate? Emphatically no. But what I do want is for Drug Warriors to be subject to the same scrutiny they impose on others. Fairness.

I want Rush, a person with intellectual access to more people, arguably than any other political analyst, to witness first-hand what the implications are for what he espouses; that lack of understanding for others, limiting the freedom of others, can also mean prison for you.

I want him to go to prison, have all his assets forfeited, be taken away from his family and career for 5-10 years, and then after he's paid his "debt," never be able to vote or own a firearm again because he's a convicted felon.

Is it so much to ask for seeking relief from excruciating pain? I only ask what he and the other drug warriors he stands behind demand of the unwashed and faceless masses that suffer under these policies every day.

Look at prison statistics. Look how mandatory minimums overcrowd our prisons with non-violent drug offenders while rapists and murderers are sent back out onto the streets. Look beyond "Drugs are bad, okay?" to the implications and unintended consequences. Because that is what Rush ultimately and tragically represents here -- a Big Fat Unintended Consequence.

I want the conservatives to finally say: Rush wasn't hurting anybody with what he put in his own body. He shouldn't be punished.

When they begin to say that for Rush, but not for everyone else, maybe then their Prohibitionist hysteria will be laughed out of Congress and we will again be the land of the free and the home of the brave, where not only are you assumed to be responsible enough to keep your money and feed and clothe your own kids, but also to decide what medications to take without a by-your-leave from the government.

Gosh, Al.

We're talking about a guy that talks non-stop for 3-hours a day, 5-days a week and 52-weeks a year. That's some pretty vague stuff you came up with. Some snot-nosed liberal goof-ball probably spent weeks trying to find those threads you used. (sorry if that was you ;) )

The ones that illustrate your point the best are the ones prior to his addition. My whole point is that he hasn't been out slamming drug addicts since he's been one. I thought he's been really avoiding it actually...I think the threads you provided prove my point, actually. They're super vague and almost in passing (the current ones I mean.)

Again, I think that, aside from the legal issue of illeagal drugs, that RL's whole point is that people who lay around and do crack and shoot heroin are losers. The they have no morality. They have no sense of self-worth, family, God and just being on the right side of things....None of these are true about Rush.

Rush is in the radio broadcast business. His job is to sell ads via his radio show. As long as people tune into his show (and listen to the ads,) he'll have a job as a "radio broadcast professional" as he likes to call himself. In short, he's in the entertainment business just as much as any actor or professional sports ball player. Seeing as how there are many in the entertainment business who have had addiction problems of one sort or another, and still have managed to do their jobs after appropriate treatment/counseling, I don't see why people would stop listening to his political commentary on the radio. If he's free & clean of his addiction, I also don't see why he couldn't speak out against drug abuse or addiction similar to the way cured alcoholics speak out against the evils of alcohol use/abuse.

I have to admit, I'd have a different opinion of him if he were a pathological liar & sexual harrasser like clinton or an alleged pedophile like Scott Ritter. :P

There is a HUGE difference between Clinton and Limbaugh. Clinton was President of the United States when he commited adultery in the Oval Office and then lied about it to the American people and under oath in a civil suit. We should hold our President to higher standards, or at least hold them to the letter of the law. If you don't agree with Rush, just turn him off.

Never was a big fan of Rush's. listened to him a bit the last 2 years...hear him always complaining but without a real solution to many of the so-called problems he brings up (kind of like the opponent in American president with Michael Douglas if anyone has seen that)....

The thing that will hurt Rush's credibility more than anything on this is when his medical records become public and it's shown that he was shopping around for doctors to help him amass the painkillers, which is a crime.

Did you read anywhere in that post where I was judging Clinton? I do believe I was pointing out the hypocrisy in the finger pointing. TA, let me go into more detail about my stance on such things. I believe in judging a person by their fruits, the Bible does speak of this. That means that when somebody does something wrong, we are to let them know that and they must pay the consequences if necessary. However, it is not up to us to spiritually judge that person and condemn them. We are supposed to help them and pray for them. It is God he is the only one that can judge them spiritually. People are too quick to use the "don't judge a person" comment, but they take it out of context. It is okay to judge and reprimand one for their actions. It is not okay to try to "play God" and judge them spiritually by condemning them. Again, my thread was meant to point out the hypocrisy of the finger pointers. Sorry if that was not clear.

Did you read anywhere in that post where I was judging Clinton? I do believe I was pointing out the hypocrisy in the finger pointing. TA, let me go into more detail about my stance on such things. I believe in judging a person by their fruits, the Bible does speak of this. That means that when somebody does something wrong, we are to let them know that and they must pay the consequences if necessary. However, it is not up to us to spiritually judge that person and condemn them. We are supposed to help them and pray for them. It is God he is the only one that can judge them spiritually. People are too quick to use the "don't judge a person" comment, but they take it out of context. It is okay to judge and reprimand one for their actions. It is not okay to try to "play God" and judge them spiritually by condemning them. Again, my thread was meant to point out the hypocrisy of the finger pointers. Sorry if that was not clear.

Judge not, lest ye be judged. Rush Limbaugh has done more than his share of judging in his days as a Conservative Icon. Rush has used his pulpit to poison the political landscape for a long time and I don't think he'll be missed when he's gone. Of course, it's already been proven that prison time doesn't stop one from having a career in Republican Talk Radio.

Archived